It would surprise me if you were able to use my config file as is. It
may be of some help as a reference. Note that the 'configured mouse' is
a logitech trackball.
In the long run I think you will have more success running
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 as suggested in the comments of the
config file. That was what finally did the trick for me. I wish I
could be of more help but I do not remember the specific change that
finally made it work. I just kept running it and changing one thing at
a time and then running startx to see if it worked. As you well may
imagine, once it finally came up in X my enthusiasm shifted to exploring
what was possible from within X.
Good luck anyway.
kk