Ubuntu or Debian?? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Ubuntu or Debian?? - Powerpc ; My Ibook G3 is right on the line between old world and new? (took me a while to figure that one out) I have 64ram and 233Processor 6gigHD, Any feasible options? so, who likes Ubuntu over Debian? visavirsa . . ...

  1. Ubuntu or Debian??

    My Ibook G3 is right on the line between old world and new? (took me a
    while to figure that one out)
    I have 64ram and 233Processor 6gigHD, Any feasible options?

    so, who likes Ubuntu over Debian? visavirsa . .

    (please be sure to mention what what kind of of machine your running
    when your jocking your OS)

    =AARON

  2. Re: Ubuntu or Debian??

    In article <1jL5e.32$II.4@news.itd.umich.edu>,
    Selon wrote:

    > My Ibook G3 is right on the line between old world and new? (took me a
    > while to figure that one out)
    > I have 64ram and 233Processor 6gigHD, Any feasible options?
    >
    > so, who likes Ubuntu over Debian? visavirsa . .
    >
    > (please be sure to mention what what kind of of machine your running
    > when your jocking your OS)
    >
    > =AARON

    I run Gentoo and have been for about a year and a half, I've never used
    Ubuntu, but I ran Debian for about a year. I liked it, but they take
    their time in delivering new packages. This is a good thing mind you, it
    makes for a stable machine. I needed Apache 2 before they were ready to
    release it. I don't disparage them for that though and would recommend
    highly.

    --
    "My Break-Dancing days are over, but there's always the Funky Chicken"
    --The Full Monty

  3. Re: Ubuntu or Debian??

    if you want to run X then you probably need more ram.

    it probably easier to make debain happy in a low ram situation, but ubuntu has all the light window managers in it universe repository.

    i use ubuntu on a powerbook G4 1ghz, because i didn't want to have to spend much time setting it all up.

    if it is old world, then you might want to look at yellowdog linux

    sam tygier

    Lorenzo wrote:
    > In article <1jL5e.32$II.4@news.itd.umich.edu>,
    > Selon wrote:
    >

    >>My Ibook G3 is right on the line between old world and new? (took me a
    >>while to figure that one out)
    >>I have 64ram and 233Processor 6gigHD, Any feasible options?
    >>
    >>so, who likes Ubuntu over Debian? visavirsa . .
    >>
    >>(please be sure to mention what what kind of of machine your running
    >>when your jocking your OS)
    >>
    >>=AARON

    > I run Gentoo and have been for about a year and a half, I've never used
    > Ubuntu, but I ran Debian for about a year. I liked it, but they take
    > their time in delivering new packages. This is a good thing mind you, it
    > makes for a stable machine. I needed Apache 2 before they were ready to
    > release it. I don't disparage them for that though and would recommend
    > highly.

  4. Re: Ubuntu or Debian??

    I tried Ubuntu on my b&w powermac G3 (screamin' 350 MHz, 644 MB RAM) but the installer kept crashing and once I did get it installed it was pretty buggy. YMMV of course. The Debian Sarge install I have now is rock solid, as are all the apps I've used so far. I did use the Ubuntu archive (Hoary, but it's commented out normally -- don't use Breezy sources with Sarge or it'll break!) for a few multimediia pkgs. It's ony been a few weeks but so far I'm very happy with it. Also the Debian Sarge netinstaller is extremely fast and easy while still allowing a fine degree of control, whereas Ubuntu just slaps a whole bunch of software on by default without giving one a lot of choice. Gnome-heads possibly won't mind that, but I found it quite annoying. This machine also boots OS X but Debian is so much faster and more satisfying, especially with windowmaker.

    ecs

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:15:41 -0500
    Selon wrote:

    > My Ibook G3 is right on the line between old world and new? (took me a
    > while to figure that one out)
    > I have 64ram and 233Processor 6gigHD, Any feasible options?
    >
    > so, who likes Ubuntu over Debian? visavirsa . .
    >
    > (please be sure to mention what what kind of of machine your running
    > when your jocking your OS)
    >
    > =AARON

+ Reply to Thread