sound troubles woody - Powerpc

This is a discussion on sound troubles woody - Powerpc ; Greetings, Thanks to much help from people in this group and elsewhere I have a fairly functional install of Debian woody on my beige G3. The two things I lack are printer and sound support. I am currently using a ...

  1. sound troubles woody

    Greetings,
    Thanks to much help from people in this group and elsewhere I have a
    fairly functional install of Debian woody on my beige G3. The two
    things I lack are printer and sound support. I am currently using a
    Canon S 400 printer under MacOS and having done some searching for linux
    drivers it appears that this printer is not well supported. I would be
    happy to learn otherwise.
    Sound. As the system boots there appears a message that modprobe cannot
    find ALSA driver. I have tried a few times with dselect to install ALSA
    with no success. Then when starting the GUI(KDE Desktop) I get a
    message that /dev/dsp could not be loaded and the sound will be sent to
    null device. None of this is urgent or life threatening but any input
    would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    kk

  2. Re: sound troubles woody

    Ciao jim bob and joe bob, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

    > As the system boots there appears a message that modprobe cannot
    > find ALSA driver. I have tried a few times with dselect to install ALSA
    > with no success.

    What kernel are you running? I suggest you get at least a 2.4.2something.
    Is your card supported only by ALSA? If it is by OSS you could use that,
    with 2.4 kernel.

    Which card is that? What modules are loaded on startup?
    Details are essential.

    --
    On Oct 5 1991, 8.53 AM; Linus Benedict Torvalds said:
    >I can (well, almost) hear you asking yourselves "why?". Hurd will be
    >out in a year (or two, or next month, who knows), and I've already got
    >minix.

  3. Re: sound troubles woody

    Jack Malmostoso wrote:
    > Ciao jim bob and joe bob, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:
    >

    >>As the system boots there appears a message that modprobe cannot
    >>find ALSA driver. I have tried a few times with dselect to install ALSA
    >>with no success.

    > What kernel are you running? I suggest you get at least a 2.4.2something.
    > Is your card supported only by ALSA? If it is by OSS you could use that,
    > with 2.4 kernel.

    The kernal appears to be 2.2.20. How does one update the kernal? Is it
    necessary to go up to sarge? I am not sure that sarge will work on this
    box. There is no sound card as such, only the motherboard sound. I
    have been unable to determine who made the chips. Maybe I will have to
    dig once again into the innards.

    > Which card is that? What modules are loaded on startup?
    > Details are essential.

  4. Re: sound troubles woody

    Ciao jim bob and joe bob, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

    > The kernal appears to be 2.2.20. How does one update the kernal?

    apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.27

    Or whatever kernel is in woody right now.

    > Is it
    > necessary to go up to sarge?

    No.

    > I am not sure that sarge will work on this
    > box. There is no sound card as such, only the motherboard sound. I
    > have been unable to determine who made the chips. Maybe I will have to
    > dig once again into the innards.

    Try lspci -v.

    --
    On Oct 5 1991, 8.53 AM; Linus Benedict Torvalds said:
    >I can (well, almost) hear you asking yourselves "why?". Hurd will be
    >out in a year (or two, or next month, who knows), and I've already got
    >minix.

+ Reply to Thread