G3 powerbook boot problems - Powerpc

This is a discussion on G3 powerbook boot problems - Powerpc ; This is probably a very stupid question, that has been asked many times, but I'm due one. I have an old g3 powerbook (@33, 32mb, 2 gb (family: M4753) old world), I have managed to get debian installed, but when ...

  1. G3 powerbook boot problems

    This is probably a very stupid question, that has been asked many times,
    but I'm due one.

    I have an old g3 powerbook (@33, 32mb, 2 gb (family: M4753) old world),
    I have managed to get debian installed, but when I attempt the reboot to
    complete the install, it dies. I can simply reset the open firmware (r-p
    trick), this gets life back in the system, but still no boot.

    The question I have is how do I persuade quik to co-operate, or is there
    some other option. I have read something about setting the 'Load-base'
    to 1000000 to get round some gzip issue, how would I go about this? (And
    does anyone know if this works?)

    Thanks, i386 I know, but I have to admit to being a total newbie to ppc
    linux.

    Hodge

    Ps if this is a dup sorry, me news client's playing up.

  2. Re: G3 powerbook boot problems

    On 4/7/2005 8:09 AM, pica-pica said:
    > This is probably a very stupid question, that has been asked many times,
    > but I'm due one.
    >
    > I have an old g3 powerbook (@33, 32mb, 2 gb (family: M4753) old world),
    > I have managed to get debian installed, but when I attempt the reboot to
    > complete the install, it dies. I can simply reset the open firmware (r-p
    > trick), this gets life back in the system, but still no boot.
    >
    > The question I have is how do I persuade quik to co-operate, or is there
    > some other option. I have read something about setting the 'Load-base'
    > to 1000000 to get round some gzip issue, how would I go about this? (And
    > does anyone know if this works?)
    >
    > Thanks, i386 I know, but I have to admit to being a total newbie to ppc
    > linux.
    >
    > Hodge
    >
    > Ps if this is a dup sorry, me news client's playing up.

    I gather quik can be a pain in the fundament to install properly.

    Have you tried bootx? Works a treat on my old Wallstreet with YDL. All
    that's needed is a small MacOS9 partition with the BootX extension
    installed in the system folder, along with a kernel in a subfolder.

    Of course you don't end up with a MacOS-free system that way, but it
    works. One other thing: my box used to stutter with 64MB memory -- far
    better for some extra RAM, which is pretty cheap. If it's a WallStreet
    or similar there's a very good takeapart guide online, so it's not hard
    to install either.

    cheers,

    David H

    --

    "When the tough get going, I'll steal their sandwiches."

    If you need to contact me direct, please remove the obvious from the
    reply address

+ Reply to Thread