Newbie - Which Distribution Should I Use - PowerBook G3 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Newbie - Which Distribution Should I Use - PowerBook G3 - Powerpc ; I have a PowerBook G3 Firewire, which I want to repurpose as a Linux box. I'm not sure which distribution is the correct one to use. I've done some reading online, but there is an overwhelming amount of information out ...

  1. Newbie - Which Distribution Should I Use - PowerBook G3

    I have a PowerBook G3 Firewire, which I want to repurpose as a Linux
    box. I'm not sure which distribution is the correct one to use. I've
    done some reading online, but there is an overwhelming amount of
    information out there.

    I'm looking for a simple, basic installation, one that completely
    replaces the existing OS (9.0.1). I understand that there are many
    intricacies involved in configuring each bit of hardware, but I'd like
    to start with a solid baseline, and work from there.

    Please reccommend a distribution that would fit my needs, as well as
    the location of the download and documentation.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Newbie - Which Distribution Should I Use - PowerBook G3

    Ciao Lisharoo, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

    Go for Ubuntu: www.ubuntulinux.org

    --
    On Oct 5 1991, 8.53 AM; Linus Benedict Torvalds said:
    >I can (well, almost) hear you asking yourselves "why?". Hurd will be
    >out in a year (or two, or next month, who knows), and I've already got
    >minix.

  3. Re: Newbie - Which Distribution Should I Use - PowerBook G3

    On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 15:25:45 -0700, "Lisharoo" wrote in <1112567144.977924.19850@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>:

    > I'm looking for a simple, basic installation,

    Ubuntu Linux - www.ubuntulinux.org . Look no further. Very powerfull, yet
    of great simplicity. If you can wait for a week or so, a new version will
    be out. If you can wait for several weeks, you can have the install CD's
    (and some for your friends) sent to you by normal mail.

    --
    Kind regards, | Jabber : michel@jabber.xs4all.nl (MSN/ICQ in headers)
    | Website: http://michel.klijmij.net/
    | GPG key: 0x8A43CF30
    Michel Klijmij | E-mail : michel@klijmij.net

  4. Re: Newbie - Which Distribution Should I Use - PowerBook G3

    On 2005-04-03, Lisharoo wrote:
    > I'm not sure which distribution is the correct one to use.

    The ''correct'' one to use is the one with which you feel most
    comfortable.

    > I'm looking for a simple, basic installation, one that completely
    > replaces the existing OS (9.0.1).

    Any distro will replace the existing OS if you tell it to! (In fact,
    until recent versions of parted supported resizing HFS+, it was your
    only noncommercial choice if the existing OS took the entire disk.)

    > Please reccommend a distribution that would fit my needs, as well as
    > the location of the download and documentation.

    What *are* your needs?

    --Ubuntu has already been mentioned
    --Yellowdog (www.yellowdoglinux.com) is basically a port of RedHat/Fedora
    --I believe SuSE has a PPC version

    Any of these would be suitable for a beginner to linux, but if you
    already know another linux from another architecture, you might want to
    look for a PPC version that's similar.

    But my two distros of choice--Crux and Slackintosh--both have (to me!)
    simple, basic installs which can replace the existing OS. But I
    wouldn't recommend them to someone completely new to linux!

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  5. Re: Newbie - Which Distribution Should I Use - PowerBook G3

    Ubuntu is the best distro on PPC to me. I have tried Mandrake,
    YellowDog.. and even attempted to install gentoo.

+ Reply to Thread