Just can't configure X right - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Just can't configure X right - Powerpc ; I have finally been able to install Debian 3.0 on my imac g3, but now I can't get X to run. I have looked at many configurations of the XF86 config file online, but have not been able to get ...

  1. Just can't configure X right

    I have finally been able to install Debian 3.0 on my imac g3, but now I
    can't get X to run. I have looked at many configurations of the XF86
    config file online, but have not been able to get mine to work. When I
    try to start it, the screen just goes blank, it had been giving an error
    about the mouse, but now it doesn't do that. If anyone has an imac g3
    and has gotten this to work for them, could you please post your XF86
    config file here so I can see what I am doing wrong? thanks a bunch.

  2. Re: Just can't configure X right

    I had a similar hair pulling experience with my beige g3. What I
    finally did was keep running dpkg-reconfigure x-server changing one
    parameter at a time and then doint startx. After about a dozen or so
    tries it finally worked. I think I posted my XF86Config-4 file on here
    somewhere. Check messages about a month back to the present. If you
    don't find it I will repost. The mouse problem reported seems to be a
    false indication. The problem lies elswhere in the config. From MacOS
    do apple system profiler to see what graphics chip you have. That will
    help. I found that setting the max frequency value really high seemed
    to help at one point. I don't remember what exact thing I changed made
    the difference but I now believe it is possible.
    KK

    Koral Maze wrote:
    > I have finally been able to install Debian 3.0 on my imac g3, but now I
    > can't get X to run. I have looked at many configurations of the XF86
    > config file online, but have not been able to get mine to work. When I
    > try to start it, the screen just goes blank, it had been giving an error
    > about the mouse, but now it doesn't do that. If anyone has an imac g3
    > and has gotten this to work for them, could you please post your XF86
    > config file here so I can see what I am doing wrong? thanks a bunch.

  3. Re: Just can't configure X right

    I couldn't find your XF86Congig-4 file, but I have seen other ones. Even
    with checking my config against other people's, I still haven't been
    able to get it to work. I'm sure that I will figure out what's wrong
    eventually, but this is very frustrating. If you could repost your
    XF86Config-4 file I would really appreciate it.

    jim bob and joe bob wrote:

    > I had a similar hair pulling experience with my beige g3. What I
    > finally did was keep running dpkg-reconfigure x-server changing one
    > parameter at a time and then doint startx. After about a dozen or so
    > tries it finally worked. I think I posted my XF86Config-4 file on here
    > somewhere. Check messages about a month back to the present. If you
    > don't find it I will repost. The mouse problem reported seems to be a
    > false indication. The problem lies elswhere in the config. From MacOS
    > do apple system profiler to see what graphics chip you have. That will
    > help. I found that setting the max frequency value really high seemed
    > to help at one point. I don't remember what exact thing I changed made
    > the difference but I now believe it is possible.
    > KK
    >
    > Koral Maze wrote:
    > > I have finally been able to install Debian 3.0 on my imac g3, but now I
    > > can't get X to run. I have looked at many configurations of the XF86
    > > config file online, but have not been able to get mine to work. When I
    > > try to start it, the screen just goes blank, it had been giving an error
    > > about the mouse, but now it doesn't do that. If anyone has an imac g3
    > > and has gotten this to work for them, could you please post your XF86
    > > config file here so I can see what I am doing wrong? thanks a bunch.

  4. Re: Just can't configure X right

    It should be at the bottom of this message in all it's glory. I hope it
    is of some use to you.
    kk

    Koral Maze wrote:
    > I couldn't find your XF86Congig-4 file, but I have seen other ones. Even
    > with checking my config against other people's, I still haven't been
    > able to get it to work. I'm sure that I will figure out what's wrong
    > eventually, but this is very frustrating. If you could repost your
    > XF86Config-4 file I would really appreciate it.
    >

    > jim bob and joe bob wrote:
    >

    >>I had a similar hair pulling experience with my beige g3. What I
    >>finally did was keep running dpkg-reconfigure x-server changing one
    >>parameter at a time and then doint startx. After about a dozen or so
    >>tries it finally worked. I think I posted my XF86Config-4 file on here
    >>somewhere. Check messages about a month back to the present. If you
    >>don't find it I will repost. The mouse problem reported seems to be a
    >>false indication. The problem lies elswhere in the config. From MacOS
    >>do apple system profiler to see what graphics chip you have. That will
    >>help. I found that setting the max frequency value really high seemed
    >>to help at one point. I don't remember what exact thing I changed made
    >>the difference but I now believe it is possible.
    >>KK
    >>
    >>Koral Maze wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have finally been able to install Debian 3.0 on my imac g3, but now I
    >>>can't get X to run. I have looked at many configurations of the XF86
    >>>config file online, but have not been able to get mine to work. When I
    >>>try to start it, the screen just goes blank, it had been giving an error
    >>>about the mouse, but now it doesn't do that. If anyone has an imac g3
    >>>and has gotten this to work for them, could you please post your XF86
    >>>config file here so I can see what I am doing wrong? thanks a bunch.

    # XF86Config-4 (XFree86 server configuration file) generated by dexconf, the
    # Debian X Configuration tool, using values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the XF86Config-4 manual page.
    # (Type "man XF86Config-4" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # If you want your changes to this file preserved by dexconf, only make
    changes
    # before the "### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION" line above, and/or after the
    # "### END DEBCONF SECTION" line below.
    #
    # To change things within the debconf section, run the command:
    # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
    # as root. Also see "How do I add custom sections to a dexconf-generated
    # XF86Config or XF86Config-4 file?" in /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz.

    Section "Files"
    FontPath "unix/:7100" # local font server
    # if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
    FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "GLcore"
    Load "bitmap"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "ddc"
    Load "dri"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "glx"
    Load "int10"
    Load "record"
    Load "speedo"
    Load "type1"
    Load "vbe"
    Load "xie"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "keyboard"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    Option "XkbModel" "macintosh"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro 215GP"
    Driver "ati"
    BusID "PCI:0:18:0"
    Option "UseFBDev" "true"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "IBM"
    HorizSync 28-85
    VertRefresh 43-90
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro 215GP"
    Monitor "IBM"
    DefaultDepth 15
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 1