I have a dlink dwl-122 wifi usb dongle. Which distro has best support
for this thing? I have tried Ubuntulinux, but to use it I have to
compile the kernel etc etc. Something I found to be very painful. I am
a linux newbie. and I want a Linux distro that works with my usb
dongle. I only have internet access wirelessly so I cannot apt-get
files. Like if I need wlan-ng I would have to bring them manually with
a usb stick, something I want to avoid.

What about the Gentoo 2005? I have tried YDL earlier but not for wifi
access (however I find this distro to be a bit heavy, slow..)