Understanding the Cell Microprocessor [VERY LONG] - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Understanding the Cell Microprocessor [VERY LONG] - Powerpc ; Understanding the Cell Microprocessor http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2379&p=1 Three very interesting things happened over the past couple of weeks here at AnandTech: 1.. Intel's Spring IDF 2005 turned out to be a multi-core CPU festival, with Intel being even more open than ever ...

  1. Understanding the Cell Microprocessor [VERY LONG]

    Understanding the Cell Microprocessor

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2379&p=1

    Three very interesting things happened over the past couple of weeks here at
    AnandTech:
    1.. Intel's Spring IDF 2005 turned out to be a multi-core CPU festival,
    with Intel being even more open than ever before about future plans for
    their multi-core microprocessor architectures. Intel has over 10
    multi-core CPU designs in the works, and they made that very clear at IDF.
    2.. At GDC 2005, AGEIA announced that they had developed a Physics
    Processing Unit (PPU) that could be used to enable extremely realistic
    physics and artificial intelligence models.
    3.. Johan De Gelas went one step further in his quest for more processing
    power earlier this week to find that there's quite a lot of potential for
    multi-core CPUs in the gaming market, at the expense of increasing
    development times.
    So, what do these three things have in common? The aggregate of the three
    basically summarize what we've come to know as the Cell microprocessor - a
    multi-core CPU, part of which is designed for parallel physics/AI processing
    for which it will be quite difficult to program.

    Cell, at a high level, isn't too difficult to understand; it's how the
    designers got there that is most intriguing. It's the design decisions and
    building blocks of Cell that we'll focus on here in this article, with an
    end goal of understanding why Cell was designed the way it was.

    A joint venture between IBM, Sony and Toshiba, the Cell microprocessor is
    the heart and soul of Sony's upcoming Playstation 3. However, this time
    around, Sony and Toshiba are planning to use Cell (or parts of it) in
    everything from consumer electronics to servers and workstations. If you
    don't already have the impression, publicly, Cell has been given some very
    high aspirations as a microprocessor, especially a non-x86 microprocessor.
    _

    Usage Patterns
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2379&p=2

    Before getting into the architecture of Cell, let's talk a bit about the
    types of workloads for which Cell and other microprocessors are currently
    being built.

    In the past, office application performance was a driving factor behind
    microprocessor development. Before multitasking and before email, there
    was single application performance and for the most part, we were talking
    about office applications, word processors, spreadsheets, etc. Thus, most
    microprocessors were designed toward incredible single application, single
    task performance.

    As microprocessors became more powerful, the software followed -
    multitasking environments were born. The vast majority of computer users,
    however, were still focused on single application usage, so microprocessor
    development continued to focus on single-threaded performance (single
    application, single task performance).

    Over the years, the single-threaded performance demands grew. Microsoft
    Word was no longer the defining application, but things like games, media
    processing and dynamic content creation became the applications that ate up
    the most CPU cycles. This is where we are today with workloads being a mix
    of office, 3D games, 3D content creation and media
    encoding/decoding/transcoding that consume our CPU cycles. But in order to
    understand the creation of a new architecture like Cell, you have to
    understand where these workloads are headed. Just as the types of
    applications demanding performance today are much different than those run
    10 years ago, the same will apply to applications in the next decade. And
    given that a new microprocessor architecture takes about 5 years to develop,
    it is feasible to introduce a new architecture geared towards these new
    usage models now.

    Intel spoke a lot about future usage models at their most recent IDF, things
    like real time voice recognition (and even translation), unstructured search
    (e.g. Google image search), even better physics and AI models in games, more
    feature-rich user interfaces (e.g. hand gesture recognition), etc. These
    are the usage models of the future, and as such, they have a different set
    of demands on microprocessors and their associated architectures.

    The type of performance required to enable these types of usage models is
    significantly higher than what we have available to us today.
    Conventionally, performance increases from one microprocessor generation to
    the next by optimizing single thread performance. There are a number of
    ways of improving single thread performance, either by driving up the clock
    speed or by increasing the instructions executed per clock (IPC). Taking
    it one step further, the more parallelism you can extract from a single
    thread, the better your performance will be - this type of parallelism is
    known as instruction level parallelism (ILP) as it involves executing as
    many instructions out of a thread at the same time.

    The problem with improving performance through increasing ILP is that from
    one generation to the next, you're only talking about a 10% - 20% increase
    in performance. Yet, the usage models that we're talking about for the
    future require significantly more than the type of gains that we've been
    getting in the past. With power limitations preventing clock speeds from
    scaling too high, it's clear that there needs to be another way of improving
    performance.

    The major players in the microprocessor industry have all pretty much agreed
    that the only way to get the type of performance gains that are necessary is
    by moving towards multi-core architectures. Through a combination of
    multithreaded applications and multi-core processors, you can get the types
    of performance increases that should allow for these types of applications
    to be developed. Instead of focusing on extracting ILP to improve
    performance, these multi-core processors extract parallelism on a thread
    level to improve performance (thread level parallelism - TLP).

    It's not as straightforward as that, however. There are a handful of
    decisions that need to be made. How powerful do you make each core in your
    multi-core microprocessor? Do you have a small array of powerful
    processors or a larger array of simpler processors? How do they
    communicate with one another? How do you deal with feeding a multi-core
    processor with enough memory bandwidth?

    The Cell implementation is just one solution to the problem...
    _

    High Level Overview of Cell
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2379&p=3

    Cell is just as much of a multi-core processor as the upcoming multi-core
    CPUs from AMD and Intel, the only difference being that Cell's architecture
    doesn't have an entirely homogeneous set of cores.

    Cell's Execution Cores
    The Cell architecture debuted in a configuration of 9 independent cores: one
    PowerPC Processing Element (PPE) and eight Synergistic Processing Elements
    (SPEs). The PPE and SPEs are obviously different, but all eight SPEs are
    identical to one another.

    The PPE is IBM's major contribution to the Cell project; it also appears to
    be very similar to the core being used in the next Xbox console.

    The PPE is a new core unlike any other PowerPC core made by IBM. The PPE
    is kept simple purposefully, although it has the base functionality of any
    modern day, general purpose microprocessor. The role of the PPE in Cell is
    to handle the tasks that any general purpose microprocessor would run;
    basically, anything that you could run on your Athlon 64 would be run on the
    PPE.

    The PPE features a 64KB L1 cache and a 512KB L2 cache and features SMT,
    similar to Intel's Hyper Threading. The PPE features a strictly in-order
    core, which the desktop x86 market hasn't seen since the death of the
    original Pentium (the Pentium Pro brought out-of-order execution to the x86
    market), so the move for an in-order core is an interesting one. The PPE
    is also only a 2-issue core, meaning that, at best, it can execute two
    instructions simultaneously. For comparison, the Athlon 64 is a 3-issue
    core, so immediately, you get the sense that the PPE is a much simpler core
    than anything that we have on the desktop. IBM's VMX instruction set (aka
    Altivec) is also supported by the PPE. Much like the rest of the Cell
    processor, the PPE is designed to run at very high clock speeds.

    There's not much that's impressive about the PPE, other than it's a small,
    fast, efficient core. Put up against a Pentium 4 or an Athlon 64, the PPE
    would lose undoubtedly, but the PPE's architecture is one answer to a shift
    in the performance paradigm. Performance in business/office applications
    requires a very powerful, very fast general purpose microprocessor, but
    performance in a game console, for example, does not. The original Xbox
    used a modified Intel Celeron processor running at 733MHz, while the fastest
    desktops had 2.0GHz Pentium 4s and 1.60GHz Athlon XPs. Given that the
    first implementation of Cell is supposed to be Sony's Playstation 3, the
    simplicity of the PPE is not surprising. Should Cell ever make its way
    into a PC, the PPE would definitely have to be beefed up, or at least paired
    with multiple other PPEs.

    The majority of the Cell's die is composed of the eight Synergistic
    Processing Elements (SPEs). If you consider the PPE to be a general
    purpose microprocessor, think of the SPEs as general purpose processors with
    a slightly more specific focus.

    Each SPE is a fully functioning independent microprocessor, but greatly
    simplified and not as general purpose as the PPE. The SPEs have no cache,
    but each SPE does have 256KB of local memory (we will discuss the difference
    between local memory and cache later). Each SPE also has a total of 7
    execution units, including one integer unit, so the SPEs can perform integer
    math as well as SIMD floating point arithmetic. The SPEs are dual issue,
    meaning that they can execute a maximum of 2 instructions in parallel.
    Keeping both the SPEs and the PPE dual issue indicates a concern over Cell's
    transistor count and chip size, as increasing issue width is directly
    connected to both of these key items.

    The SPEs have no branch predictor, meaning that they rely solely on software
    branch prediction. There are ways that the compiler can avoid branches,
    and the SPE architecture lends itself very well to things like loop
    unrolling. Any elementary programmer is familiar with a loop, where one or
    more lines of code is repeated until a certain condition is met. The
    checking of that condition (e.g. i < 100) often results in a branch, so one
    way of removing that branch is simply to unroll the loop. If you have a
    statement in a loop that is supposed to execute 100 times, you could either
    keep it in the loop and execute it that way, or you could remove the loop
    and simply copy the statement 100 times. The end result is the same - the
    only difference is that in one case, you have a branch condition while the
    other case results in more lines of code to execute.

    The problem with loop unrolling is that you need a large number of registers
    to unroll some loops, which is one reason that each SPE has 128 registers.
    Originally, the SPEs were supposed to use the VMX (Altivec) ISA, but because
    of a need for more than 32 architectural registers, the SPEs implemented a
    new ISA with support for 128 registers.

    Each SPE is only capable of issuing two instructions per clock, meaning that
    at best, each SPE can execute two instructions at the same time. The issue
    width of a microprocessor can determine a big part of how large the
    microprocessor will be; for example, the Itanium 2 is a 6-issue core, so
    being a 2-issue core makes each SPE significantly smaller than most general
    purpose microprocessors.

    In the end, what we see with the SPEs is that they sacrifice some of the
    normal tricks to improve ILP in favor of being able to cram more SPEs onto a
    single die, effectively sacrificing some ILP for greater TLP. Given the
    direction that the industry is headed, a move to a very TLP centric design
    makes a lot of sense, but at the same time, it will be quite dependent on
    developers adhering to very specific development models.

    Clearly, the architects of Cell saw the SPEs as being used to run a highly
    parallelizable workload, and as Derek Wilson mentioned in his article about
    AGEIA's PhysX PPU:

    "One of the properties of graphics that made the feature a good fit for a
    specialized processor inside a PC is the fact that the task is infinitely
    parallelizable. Hundreds of thousands, and even millions of pixels, need to
    be processed every frame. The more detailed a rendering needs to be, the
    more parallel the task becomes. The same is true with physics. As with the
    visual world, the physical world is continuous rather than discrete. The
    more processing power we have, the more things we can simulate at once, and
    the more realistically we can approximate the real world."

    With NVIDIA supplying some form of a GPU for Playstation 3, Cell's array of
    SPEs have one definite purpose in a gaming console - physics and AI
    processing. Many have argued that the array of SPEs seems capable of
    taking over the pixel processing workload of a GPU, but for a high
    performance console, that's not much of an option. The SPE array could
    offer better CPU-based 3D rendering, but it would be a tough sell (no pun
    intended) for this array of SPEs to be the end of dedicated GPU hardware.
    _

    Cell's On-Die Memory Controller
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2379&p=4
    For years, we've known that Rambus' memory and interface technology is well
    ahead of the competition. The problem is that it has never been implemented
    well on a PC before. The Rambus brand received a fairly negative
    connotation during the early days of RDRAM on the PC, and things worsened
    even more for the company's brand with the Rambus vs. the DDR world
    lawsuits.

    Rambus has had success in a lot of consumer electronics devices, such as
    HDTVs and the Playstation 2, so when Cell was announced to make heavy use of
    Rambus technologies, it wasn't too surprising. As we've reported before,
    Rambus technology is used in about 90% of the signaling pins on Cell. The
    remaining 10% are mostly test pins, so basically, Rambus handles all data
    going in and out of the Cell processor. They do so in two ways:

    First off, Cell includes an on-die dual channel XDR memory controller, each
    channel being 36-bits wide (32-bits with ECC). Cell's XDR memory bus runs
    at 400MHz, but XDR memory transfers data at 8 times the memory bus clock -
    meaning that you get 3.2GHz data signaling rates. The end result is
    GPU-like memory bandwidth of 25.6GB/s. As we've mentioned in our coverage
    of this year's Spring IDF, memory bandwidth requirements increase
    tremendously as you increase the number of processor cores - with 9 total in
    Cell, XDR is the perfect fit. Note that the GeForce 6800GT offers 32GB/s
    of memory bandwidth just to its GPU, so it would not be too surprising to
    see the Playstation 3's GPU paired up with its own local memory as well as
    being able to share system memory and bandwidth.

    The block labeled MIC is the XDR memory controller, and the XIO block is the
    physical layer - all of the input receivers and output drivers are in the
    XIO block. Data pipelines are also present in the XIO block.

    As we've seen from AMD's Athlon 64, having a memory controller on-die
    significantly reduces memory latencies, which applies to Cell as well.

    Cell's On-Die FlexIO Interface
    The other important I/O aspect of Cell is also controlled by Rambus - the
    FlexIO interface. Cell features two configurable FlexIO interfaces, each
    being 48-bits wide with 6.4GHz data signaling rates.

    The BEI block is effectively the North Bridge interface, while the FlexIO
    block is the physical FlexIO layer.

    The word "configurable" is particularly important as it means that you don't
    need to connect every wire. Taking this notion one step further, don't
    look at the FlexIO interfaces as being able to connect to one chip, but
    rather multiple chips with different width FlexIO interfaces.

    One potential implementation of Cell's configurable FlexIO interface.

    While Cell's XDR interface offers over 2x the memory bandwidth of any
    PC-based microprocsesor, Cell's FlexIO interface weighs in at 76.8GB/s -
    almost 10x the chip-to-chip bandwidth of AMD's Athlon 64.

    In Playstation 3, you can pretty much expect a good hunk of this bandwidth
    to be between NVIDIA's GPU and the Cell processor, but it also can be used
    for some pretty heavy I/O interfaces.

    One of the major requirements in any high performance game console is
    bandwidth, and thanks to Rambus, Cell has plenty of it.
    _

    Cell's In-Order Architecture
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2379&p=5
    We have mentioned that both the PPE and SPEs are in-order cores, but in
    order to understand the impact of an in-order core on performance, there's a
    bit of background knowledge that we have to go over first.

    Dependencies, Instruction Ordering and Parallelism
    What are Dependencies?

    In many of our past CPU articles, we've brought up this idea of dependencies
    as seen by the CPU. At the very basic level, a CPU is fed a stream of
    instructions that are generally of the form:

    OP destination, source1, source2, ... , source n

    The instruction format will vary from one CPU ISA to the next, but the
    general idea is that the CPU is sent an operation (OP), a destination to
    store the result of the operation, and one or more sources on which to get
    data to perform the operation. Depending on the architecture, the
    destination and sources can be memory locations or registers. For the sake
    of simplicity, let's just assume that for now, all destinations and sources
    are registers.

    Let's take a look at an example with some data filled in:

    ADD R10, R1, R2

    The above line of assembly would be sent to the CPU, telling it to add the
    values stored in R1 (Register #1) and R2 and store the result in R10.
    Simple enough. Now, let's give the CPU another operation to crunch on:

    MUL R11, R10, R3

    This time, we're multiplying the values stored in R10 and R3, and storing
    the result in R11. As a single line of assembly, the above code is easily
    executed, but when placed directly after our first example, we've created a
    bit of a problem:
    1.. ADD R10, R1, R2
    2.. MUL R11, R10, R3
    3.. ADD R9, R11, R4
    Line 1 writes to R10, while Line 2 reads from R10. Under no circumstances
    can the CPU begin executing line 2 before line 1 completes - the same goes
    for lines 3 and 2. What we've created here is what is known as a RAW
    dependency, Read After Write. There are many more types of dependencies,
    but understanding this basic example is more than enough to take us to the

    The problem with a dependency is that it limits what can be executed in
    parallel. Take the Athlon 64, for example. It has three integer execution
    units, all of which are equally capable of executing the code (in a slightly
    revised, x86 assembly format, of course) that we used above. In theory,
    the Athlon 64 could execute three lines integer operations in parallel at
    the same time - assuming that no dependencies existed between the
    operations. In executing the above code, two of the Athlon 64's integer
    execution units would go idle until the first line of code was executed.

    Dependencies, such as the simple one that we talked about above, hinder the
    ability of modern day microprocessors to function to the best of their
    abilities. It's like having three hands, but only being able to clean your
    room by picking up one item at a time; frustratingly inefficient.
    _

    Ordering Instructions around Dependencies
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2379&p=6

    Luckily, there are solutions to the problem of dependencies in code; one
    tackles the problem in hardware, the other tackles the problem in software.

    The software compiler is responsible for producing the assembly code that is
    sent to the CPU for execution. Thus, with an intimate knowledge of the
    inner workings of the CPU, the compiler can, generally speaking, produce
    code that minimizes data dependencies.

    There are microprocessor architectures that are dependent entirely on the
    compiler to extract parallelism, on the instruction level, while avoiding
    dependencies as much as possible. These architectures are known as in-order
    microprocessors.

    In-Order Architectures
    As the name implies, an in-order microprocessor can only execute
    instructions in the order that they are sent to the CPU. At best, the CPU
    can execute multiple instructions in parallel, but it has no ability to
    reorder the instructions to suit its needs better.

    If you have a good enough compiler, then an in-order microprocessor should
    be just fine. There are a couple of key limitations, however:

    1. Binaries Compiled for in-order architectures are very architecture
    specific

    Although both the Athlon 64 and the Pentium 4 are fully able to run x86
    code, they contain vastly different microarchitectures, with different
    execution units and very different things that they are "good" at. If both
    of the aforementioned chips depended entirely on the compiler to extract
    parallelism and maximize performance, one would most definitely suffer.
    You could always have two versions of every program, but that tends to get
    large and messy - especially from an update/patches standpoint. The
    compiler has to be intimately aware of the architecture that it's compiling
    for, which works in cases like a game console where you don't have multiple
    vendors providing differently architected CPUs with a common ISA, yet not so
    well when you look at something like the desktop x86 market.

    2. Unpredictable memory latencies

    Cache is a good thing, most of the time. Cache on a microprocessor does
    its best to keep frequently used data at hand, so it can be made available
    to the CPU at very low latencies. The problem is that cache adds a level
    of unpredictability to how long it will take to get data from memory. A
    cache hit could mean that your data will be ready in 10 - 20 cycles. A
    cache miss could mean that it'll be hundreds of cycles. With an in-order
    microprocessor, you can't reorder instructions based on data availability,
    so if data isn't available in cache and the CPU has to wait longer to pull
    it from main memory, the entire CPU has to sit and wait until that data is
    brought in from main memory. Even if other instructions could be executed,
    an in-order microprocessor has no logic to effectively handle the on-the-fly
    reordering of instructions to get around unpredictable memory latencies.

    If you can find a way around the limitations of an in-order architecture,
    there are some very tangible benefits:

    1. A much simplified microprocessor

    Out-of-Order microprocessors have a significant amount of complexity added
    to them in order to deal with on-the-fly reordering of instructions. We
    will talk about them in greater detail in the next section. By moving this
    complexity to the software/compiler side, you greatly reduce the complexity
    of your microprocessor and save your transistor budget for other things that
    can yield better performance benefits. Less complexity also means less
    power consumed and heat dissipated.

    2. Shorter pipeline

    In order to deal with the reordering of instructions, generally speaking, a
    number of pipeline stages have to be added to the architecture, resulting in
    higher power consumption and demands for a more accurate branch predictor
    (thanks to an even higher branch prediction penalty). While the impact on
    pipeline depth isn't as big of a deal for longer pipelined designs, for
    shorter designs, the increase can be 40% or more.

    Historically, the idea of a simple in-order core has been one that's been
    abandoned in favor of the obvious alternative: an out-of-order architecture.
    _

    Out-of-Order Architectures
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2379&p=7

    In contrast to in-order architectures, there are out-of-order architectures.
    Out-of-order architectures still decode instructions in the original order
    of the program, and still retire the instructions in order, but the actual
    issue/execution of the instructions can be done out of order.

    Let's talk a bit about what all of this means. A CPU is useless if it
    changes the intent of the code fed to it. Frankly speaking, if you
    double-click on a file, your CPU would be rather useless if it executed a
    bunch of format commands instead. Although that's an extreme example, in
    order to ensure that things like that don't happen, a CPU must adhere to two
    rules:
    1.. Instructions must be decoded (i.e. interpreted by the CPU to find out
    what they are asking it to do) in the original order of the program, and
    2.. Instructions must retire in the original order of the program (i.e.
    the result of each operation must be written to memory/disk in the same
    order as it was sent to the CPU).
    Both in-order and out-of-order architectures adhere to those two rules - it'
    s what happens in between those two stages that out-of-order architectures
    differ. We mentioned in the previous page that in-order architectures can'
    t reorder instructions on the fly. Let's say that we have an in-order CPU
    with one adder and one load/store unit that is fed the following code (for
    the sake of simplicity, we'll leave a forwarding network out of this
    discussion):
    1.. LD R10, R11
    2.. ADD R5, R10, R10
    3.. ADD R9, R9, #1
    4.. ...
    In the first instruction, we're loading data from a memory address stored in
    R11 into R10. Then, we're adding the value that we just obtained from
    memory to itself and storing it in R5. The third and final line in the
    snippet increments the value stored in R9 by 1 and stores it in R9.
    Quickly looking at the code, you see that line 2 can't execute before line
    1. Doing so would alter the intent of the code (if you want to add
    something to itself, you need to make sure you have that something first).
    Line 3, however, is completely independent of lines 1 and 2.

    With an in-order microprocessor, if the data being loaded in line 1 is
    contained within cache, then that instruction will take around 1 - 30 clock
    cycles to complete (varying depending on the architecture and which level of
    cache it is in). Line 2 would have to simply wait those 1 - 30 cycles
    before executing and then after it executed, line 3 could have its turn.
    If the requested data isn't stored in cache (maybe it's the first time that
    we're asking for that value and we haven't asked for anything near it in
    memory), then we have a problem. All of the sudden, line 1 doesn't take
    around 1 - 30 cycles to complete; now, it's going to take 200+ clock cycles
    to complete. For line 2, that's not such a big deal, since it can't
    execute until line 1 completes anyway, but for line 3, it could just as
    easily execute during the time that the CPU is waiting to get that load from
    memory. Any independent instructions following line 3 are also at the
    mercy of the cache miss.

    With an out-of-order microprocessor, however, the situation of a cache miss
    isn't nearly as dramatic. The code is still decoded in order, meaning that
    it comes across instructions 1, 2 and 3 in the same order as the in-order
    CPU, but this time, we have the ability to execute line 3 ahead of lines 1
    and 2 instead of idly waiting for line 1 to complete. In the event of a
    cache miss, this gives the out-of-order microprocessor a pretty big
    performance advantage, as it isn't sitting there burning away clock cycles
    while nothing gets done. So, how does the out-of-order CPU work?

    If someone told you a list of things to do in any order that you wanted, you
    'd simply take in the list and get to it. But if they told you to report
    back the things that you've completed in the order in which they were told
    to you, you'd have to grumble and write them down first before reorganizing
    them to fit your needs.

    An out-of-order CPU works pretty much the same way, except instead of a
    to-do list, it has an instruction window. The instruction window functions
    similarly to a to-do list - it has all of the decoded instructions in their
    original order and is kept as a record to make sure that those instructions
    retire in the order that they were decoded.

    Alongside the instruction window, an out-of-order CPU also has a scheduling
    window - it is in this "window" where all of the reordering of instructions
    takes place. The scheduling window contains logic to mark dependent and
    independent instructions and send all independent ones to execution units
    while waiting for dependent instructions to become ready for execution.

    As previously dependent instructions (e.g. instructions waiting on data from
    main memory or instructions waiting for other instructions to complete)
    become independent, they are then able to be executed, once again, in any
    order.

    Right off the bat, you can tell that the addition of an instruction window,
    a scheduling window and all of the associated logic to detect independent
    instructions, not to mention the logic to handle out-of-order execution but
    in order retirement, all makes for a more complex microprocessor. But
    there is one other significant problem with out-of-order microprocessors -
    the increase in performance and instruction level parallelism is greatly
    dependent upon the size of the instruction window.

    The larger you make this window, the more parallelism that can be extracted
    simply because the CPU is looking at a wider set of instructions from which
    to select independent ones. At the same time, the larger you make the
    window, the lower your clock speed can be. For example, Itanium has an
    extremely large instruction window to feed its execution units, while the
    Pentium 4 has a significantly smaller one in order to hit higher clock
    speeds.

    Despite the downsides, all modern day x86 microprocessors are out-of-order
    cores, as keeping a single core simple isn't the top priority given advances
    in manufacturing processes. The benefits of an out-of-order architecture
    are two-fold:
    1.. Dynamic reordering of instructions lets the CPU hide memory latencies,
    allowing for even higher clock speeds. For every cache miss, a Pentium 4
    3.6GHz has to wait around 230 clock cycles to get data from main memory,
    which is a lot of idle time in the eyes of the CPU. Being able to make use
    of that idle time by executing other independent instructions in the
    meantime is one way in which architectures like the Pentium 4 and Athlon 64
    get away with running at such high multiples of their memory frequency.
    2.. Incremental increase in instruction level parallelism - by reordering
    instructions on the fly, out-of-order architectures can improve ILP as best
    as possible in areas where the compiler fails to.
    So, it's obvious that both AMD and Intel have figured out that for a general
    purpose x86 microprocessor, out-of-order makes the most sense. Then, why
    is it that the architects of Cell, when starting with a clean slate,
    outfitted the processor with 9 independent in-order cores?

    The first thing to remember is that you can get pretty solid performance
    from an in-order architecture. The Itanium is an in-order microprocessor,
    based on a premise similar to Cell by which the compiler should be able to
    extract the sort of parallelism that of an out-of-order core. Current
    generation Itanium cores run at half the speed of modern day x86 cores, yet
    the CPU is able to execute around 2x the instructions per clock as the
    fastest x86 CPUs. To quote Intel's Justin Rattner in reference to Itanium,
    "an appropriately designed instruction set should lend itself to an in-order
    architecture without any problems." So, it's quite possible that the same
    could apply to Cell...
    _

    Cell's Approach - In Order with no Cache
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2379&p=8

    Remember that the Cell's architects designed the processor while evaluating
    the incremental performance each transistor they used resulted in (somewhat
    exaggerated, they didn't count every last one of the 234 million
    transistors, but they evaluated each architectural decision very closely).
    In doing so, the idea of in-order vs. out-of-order must have raised a huge
    debate, given the increased complexity that an out-of-order core would add.

    With the major benefit of out-of-order being a decrease in susceptibility to
    memory latencies, the Cell architects proposed another option - what about
    an in-order core with controllable (read: predictable) memory latencies?

    In-order microprocessors suffer because as soon as you introduce a cache
    into the equation, you no longer have control over memory latencies. Most
    of the time, a well-designed cache is going to give you low latency access
    to the data that you need. But look at the type of applications that Cell
    is targeted at (at least initially) - 3D rendering, games, physics, media
    encoding etc. - all applications that aren't dependent on massive caches.
    Look at any one of Intel's numerous cache increased CPUs and note that 3D
    rendering, gaming and encoding performance usually don't benefit much beyond
    a certain amount of cache. For example, the Pentium 4 660 (3.60GHz - 2MB
    L2) offered a 13% increase in Business Winstone 2004 over the Pentium 4 560
    (3.60GHz - 1MB L2), but less than a 2% average performance increase in 3D
    games. In 3dsmax, there was absolutely no performance gain due to the
    extra cache. A similar lack of performance improvement can be seen in our
    media encoding tests. The usage model of the Playstation 3 isn't going to
    be running Microsoft Office; it's going to be a lot of these "media rich"
    types of applications like 3D gaming and media encoding. For these types
    of applications, a large cache isn't totally necessary - low latency memory
    access is necessary, and lots of memory bandwidth is important, but you can
    get both of those things without a cache. How? Cell shows you how.

    Each SPE features 256KB of local memory, more specifically, not cache. The
    local memory doesn't work on its own. If you want to put something in it,
    you need to send the SPE a store instruction. Cache works automatically;
    it uses hard-wired algorithms to make good guesses at what it should store.
    The SPE's local memory is the size of a cache, but works just like a main
    memory. The other important thing is that the local memory is SRAM based,
    not DRAM based, so you get cache-like access times (6 cycles for the SPE)
    instead of main memory access times (e.g. 100s of cycles).

    What's the big deal then? With the absence of cache, but the presence of a
    very low latency memory, each SPE effectively has controllable, predictable
    memory latencies. This means that a smart developer, or smart compiler,
    could schedule instructions for each SPE extremely granularly. The
    compiler would know exactly when data would be ready from the local memory,
    and thus, could schedule instructions and work around memory latencies just
    as well as an out-of-order microprocessor, but without the additional
    hardware complexity. If the SPE needs data that's stored in the main
    memory attached to the Cell, the latencies are just as predictable, since
    once again, there's no cache to worry about mucking things up.

    Making the SPEs in-order cores made a lot of sense for their tasks.
    However, the PPE being in-order is more for space/complexity constraints
    than anything else. While the SPEs handle more specified tasks, the PPE's
    role in Cell is to handle all of the general purpose tasks that are not best
    executed on the array of SPEs. The problem with this approach is that in
    order to function as a relatively solid performing general purpose
    processor, it needs a cache - and we've already explained how cache can hurt
    in-order cores. If there's a weak element of the Cell architecture it's
    the PPE, but then again, Cell isn't targeted at general purpose computing,
    despite what some may like to spin it as.

    The downsides of an in-order PPE are minimized as much as possible by making
    the core only 2-issue, meaning that at best, it could execute two operations
    in parallel. So, execution potential lost to in-order inefficiencies are
    minimized in a sense that at least there aren't a lot of transistors wasted
    on making the PPE an extremely wide chip. A good compiler should be able
    to make sure that both issue ports are populated as frequently as possible,
    despite the fact that the microprocessor is in-order. The PPE is also
    capable of working on two threads at a time, also designed to mask the
    inefficiencies of an in-order core for general purpose code.

    Architecturally, if anything will keep Cell out of being used in a PC
    environment, it's the PPE. A new Cell with a stronger PPE or an array of
    PPEs could change that, however.
    _

    Manufacturing, Die Size and Clock Speed
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2379&p=9

    Intel's superiority in manufacturing is responsible for the majority of
    their technological advances in microprocessors over the past decade, and
    it's often argued that there isn't a company around that could come close to
    matching Intel's manufacturing abilities - with the exception of IBM.

    The Cell prototype boasts some pretty major manufacturing specs:

    - 90nm SOI manufacturing process
    - 221 mm2 die area
    - 234M transistors
    - > 4GHz observed clock speed

    When it was first announced, the chip sounded massive, but its
    specifications compare extremely well to Intel's upcoming Pentium D
    processor; let's take a look at its vitals:

    Intel Pentium D Processor

    - 90nm strained silicon manufacturing process
    - 206 mm2 die area
    - 230M transistors
    - 2.8GHz - 3.2GHz clock speed

    With a slightly larger chip and a few million transistors more, Cell is
    supposed to be able to run at a minimum of 25% higher clock frequency than
    Intel's forthcoming Pentium D. We'll let that sit in for a moment...

    Dynamic Logic
    At first glance, a 90nm SOI Cell running at between 3 - 5GHz looks extremely
    impressive. After all, the fastest 90nm CPU IBM currently produces runs at
    2.5GHz, not to mention that even Intel, the king of clock speed, can't mass
    produce anything faster than 3.8GHz on their 90nm process. But let's dig a
    little deeper.

    The Pentium 4 has two ALUs that run at twice its internal clock speed - so
    in the case of a Pentium 4 660, that means that two of the more frequently
    used execution units operate at 7.2GHz - on a 90nm process. So, it's
    possible to get circuits to run at higher clock speeds, even in the 3 - 5GHz
    range, on current 90nm processes - it just takes a little bit of creative
    logic design.

    It's been confirmed that Cell is using some sort of dynamic logic as opposed
    to static CMOS in order to control transistor counts and improve operating
    frequencies. Intel uses a number of specialized logic techniques in their
    double-pumped ALUs to reach their 7GHz+ operating frequencies, and Intel has
    discussed techniques that are similar to the dynamic logic used in Cell.

    The diagram on the right of a "sleep transistor" should look very familiar
    by the end of this article

    To understand how dynamic works, you have to understand how the transistors
    are implemented on a chip.

    Transistors and You
    Just about any AnandTech reader who has followed our CPU articles has heard
    us count transistors before, but understanding how transistors work is quite
    critical to understanding how IBM can talk about 3 - 5GHz clock speeds for
    Cell.

    We'll spare you the details about how transistors are made and the physics
    behind them in an attempt to keep this section as brief, but as informative,
    as possible. It's quite common to refer to a transistor as a "switch" much
    like a light switch, so how does a transistor function like a switch?
    Below, we have a representation of a p-type transistor:

    There are three points labeled on the transistor: the drain (D), gate (G),
    and source (S). In a microprocessor, you generally have the source
    connected to Vcc (think of Vcc as a line carrying the CPU's core voltage),
    and the drain connected to ground - often times indirectly (e.g. 10
    transistors will be connected in series, with the top-most source connecting
    to Vcc and the bottom-most drain connecting to ground).

    The input to the gate of the p-type transistor is what makes it function as
    a switch. If you apply the right voltage to the gate, thus making it a
    logical "1" or high, current doesn't flow in the transistor. If you don't
    apply any voltage to the gate, current can flow. Just like a light switch,
    flip it one way and the light turns on; flip it another and you're in the
    dark.

    There's another type of transistor that we'll be talking about here: the
    n-type transistor:

    The three points on the transistor are the same, but the drain and source
    switch places. The functionality of the n-type transistor is different as
    well. Here, if you apply the appropriate voltage to the gate, a current
    will flow; if you apply no voltage, no current will flow through the
    transistor.

    CMOS circuits work by using pairs of n- and p-type transistors (that's where
    the Complementary element of CMOS comes from). CMOS circuits are by far
    the most predominant in modern day microprocessors, but as you will soon
    see, that doesn't mean that they are without flaws.
    _

    Understanding Gates
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...px?i=2379&p=10

    The fundamental building blocks of any microprocessor are gates. Gates are
    collections of transistors that electrically mimic a particular logic
    function. For example, a 2-input AND gate will take two input signals and
    output a 1 only if the two inputs are both 1s. An XOR gate will output a 1
    only if the two inputs are different. A NOR gate will output a 1 only if
    all inputs are 0s.

    Combinations of these gates are used to implement everything in a
    microprocessor, including functional units like adders, multipliers, etc.

    Here, we have a 1-bit carry adder implemented using logic gates. It will
    add any two 1-bit numbers and produce a result.

    However, there are many ways to implement each gate, as long as the behavior
    of the gate remains the same independent of the implementation. It's just
    like doing a math problem; there are multiple ways to find the solution -
    some just may be more efficient than others.

    A very popular way of designing gate logic is using what is known as static
    CMOS. Static CMOS designs are relatively easy to implement and there are
    tons of libraries available for automated (e.g. computer driven) static CMOS
    design. There are a couple of problems with static CMOS design:
    1.. Static CMOS circuits aren't the fastest circuits possible, which is
    why they aren't used in things like Intel's double-pumped ALUs where high
    clock speeds are necessary.
    2.. Static CMOS designs use quite a few transistors. For each m-input
    gate, you need 2 * m transistors (m PMOS and m NMOS transistors), which for
    high fan-in gates (gates with lots of inputs), it drives transistor counts
    up considerably. As is the case with any heavily SIMD architecture, high
    fan-in gates are commonplace.
    Let's take a look at a static CMOS NOR gate:

    First thing to note is that for every NMOS transistor we add, there's a
    complementary PMOS transistor. With each additional input to the NOR gate,
    we have to add two transistors - one PMOS and one NMOS - hence the 2*m
    transistors from before.

    There's another problem here - the NOR gate isn't clocked. Normally, large
    collections of gates are assembled and put behind an element called a latch,
    which is clocked. One type of large collection would be all of the
    circuitry used for a pipeline stage. This isn't really a problem for
    static CMOS gates, as it greatly simplifies the distribution of clocks to
    the chip (since you don't have to route a clock signal to every gate, just
    every latch, and there are far more general gates than there are latches).

    Designing and implementing static CMOS gates are extremely easy. Hardware
    Description Languages (HDLs), programming languages in which chips are
    "written" have widespread static CMOS libraries, meaning that a chip
    designer can focus on writing code to crank out a chip without having to
    hand design its circuits. But as success is usually proportional to
    difficulty, static CMOS designs aren't the fastest things in the world.
    Things like Intel's 7.2GHz ALUs aren't designed using static CMOS logic,
    neither is Cell.
    _

    Cell's Dynamic Logic
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...px?i=2379&p=11

    Although it's beyond the scope of this article, one of the major problems
    with static CMOS circuits are the p-type transistors, and the fact that for
    every n-type transistor, you also must use a p-type transistor.

    There is an alternative known as dynamic or pseudo-NMOS logic, which gets
    around the problems of static CMOS while achieving the same functionality.
    Let's take a look at that static CMOS NOR gate again:

    The two transistors at the top of the diagram are p-type transistors. When
    either A or B are high (i.e. have a logical 1 value), then the p-type
    transistor gates remain open, with no current flowing. In that case, the
    output of the circuit is ground, or 0 since the complementary n-type
    transistors at the bottom function oppositely from their p-type counterparts
    (e.g. current can flow when the input is high).

    Thus, the NOR gate outputs a 1 only if all inputs are 0, which is exactly
    how a NOR gate should function.

    Now, let's take a look at a pseudo-NMOS implementation of the same NOR gate:

    There are a few things to notice here. First and foremost, the clock signal
    is tied to two transistors (a p-type at the top, and an n-type at the
    bottom) whereas there was no clock signal directly to the NOR gate in our
    static CMOS example. There is a clock signal fed to the gate here.

    Cell's implementation goes one step further. The p-type transistor at the
    top of the circuit and the n-type transistor at the bottom are clocked on
    non-overlapping phases, meaning that the two clocks aren't high/low at the
    same time.

    The way in which the gate here works is as follows: inputs are first applied
    to the logic in between the clock fed transistors. The top transistor's
    gate is closed allowing the logic transistors to charge up. The gate is
    then opened and the lower transistor's gate is closed to drain the logic
    transistors to ground. The charge that remains is the output of the
    circuit.

    What's important about this is that since power is only consumed during two
    non-overlapping phases, overall power consumption is lower than static CMOS.
    The downside is that clock signal routing becomes much more difficult.

    The other benefit is lower transistor count. In the example of the 2-input
    NOR gate, our static CMOS design used 4 transistors, while our pseudo-NMOS
    implementation used 4 transistors as well. But for a 3-input NOR gate, the
    static CMOS implementation requires 6 transistors, while the pseudo-NMOS
    implementation requires 5. The reasoning is that for a CMOS circuit, you
    have 1 p-type transistor for every n-type, while in a pseudo-NMOS circuit
    you only have two additional transistors beyond the bare minimum required to
    implement the logic function. For a 100-input NOR gate (unrealistic, but a
    good example), a static CMOS implementation would require 200 transistors,
    while a pseudo-NMOS implementation would only require 102.

    By making more efficient use of transistors and lowering power consumption,
    Cell's pseudo-NMOS logic design enables higher clock frequencies. The
    added cost is in the manufacturing and design stages:
    1.. As we mentioned before, clock routing becomes increasingly difficult
    with pseudo-NMOS designs similar to that used in Cell. The clock trees
    required for Cell are probably fairly complex, but given IBM's expertise in
    the field, it's not an insurmountable problem.
    2.. Designing pseudo-NMOS logic isn't easy, and there are no widely
    available libraries from which to pull circuit designs. Once again, given
    IBM's size and expertise, this isn't much of an issue, but it does act as a
    barrier for entry of smaller chip manufacturers.
    3.. Manufacturing such high speed dynamic logic circuits often requires
    techniques like SOI, but once again, not a problem for IBM given that they
    have been working on SOI for quite some time now. There's no surprise that
    Cell is manufactured on a 90nm SOI process.
    On the gate level, just like at the logic level, Cell is architected for
    high speeds and efficient use of transistors.
    _

    Blueprint for a High Performance per Transistor CPU
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...px?i=2379&p=12

    Given that Cell was designed with a high performance per transistor metric
    in mind, its architecture does serve as somewhat of a blueprint for the
    technologies that result in the biggest performance gains, at the lowest
    transistor counts. Now that we've gone through a lot of the Cell
    architecture, let's take a look back at what some of those architectural
    decisions are:

    1. On-die memory controller

    We've seen this with the Athlon 64, but an on-die memory controller appears
    to be one of the best ways to improve overall performance, at minimal
    transistor expenditure. Furthermore, we also see the use of Rambus' XDR
    memory instead of conventional DDR, as the memory of choice for Cell. High
    frequencies and high bandwidth are what Cell thrives on, and for that, there
    's no substitute but Rambus' technology.

    2. SMT

    On-die multithreading has also been proven to be a good way of extracting
    performance at minimal transistor impact. Introducing Hyper Threading to
    the Pentium 4's core required a die increase of less than 5%, just to give
    you an idea of the scale of things. The performance benefits to SMT will
    obviously vary depending on the architecture of the CPU. In the case of
    the Pentium 4, performance gains ranged from 0 - 20%. In the case of the
    in-order PPE core of Cell, the performance gains could be even more.
    Needless to say, if implemented well, and if proper OS/software support is
    there, SMT is a feature that makes sense and doesn't strain the transistor
    budget.

    3. Simpler, in-order, narrow-issue core - but lots of them

    This next design decision is more controversial than the first two, simply
    because it goes against the design strategies of most current generation
    desktop microprocessors that we're familiar with. By making the PPE and
    SPEs 2-issue only, each individual core still remains a manageable size.
    Narrower cores obviously sacrifice the ability to extract ILP, but doing so
    allows you to cram more cores onto a single die - highlighting the ILP for
    TLP sacrifice that the Cell architects have made.

    Getting rid of the additional logic and windows needed for an out-of-order
    core helps further reduce transistor count, but at the expense of making
    sure that you have a solid compiler and/or developers that are willing to
    deal with more of the architecture's intricacies to achieve good
    performance.

    Looking at Intel's roadmap for Platform 2015, the type of microprocessors
    that they're talking about are eerily Cell-like - a handful of strong
    general purpose cores surrounded by smaller cores, some of which are more
    specialized hardware.

    However, the time frame that Intel is talking about to introduce those
    Cell-like architectures is much further away than today; the first Cell-like
    architectures don't appear on roadmaps until the 2009 - 2015 range.

    In the past, when Intel dictated a major architectural shift, it didn't
    happen until they said so. It is yet to be seen if Cell is an exception to
    the rule or if it will be another architecture well before its time.
    _

    Final Words
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...px?i=2379&p=13

    Concluding anything about Cell requires a multifaceted look at the
    architecture and the platform as a whole.

    First from the perspective of the game industry, more specifically
    Playstation 3:

    Cell's architecture is similar to the next version of Microsoft's Xbox and
    upcoming PC microprocessors in that it is heavily multithreaded. The next
    Xbox will execute between 3 and 6 threads simultaneously, while desktop PC
    microprocessors will execute between 2 - 4. The problem is that while Xbox
    2/360/Next and the PC will be using multiple general purpose cores, Cell
    relies on more specialized hardware to achieve its peak performance. Cell'
    s SPEs being Altivec/VMX derived is a benefit, which should mean that the
    ISA is more familiar to developers working on any POWER based architecture,
    but the approach to development on Cell vs. development on the PC will
    literally be on opposite ends of the spectrum, with the new Xbox somewhere
    in between.

    The problem here is that big game development houses often develop and
    optimize for the least common denominator when it comes to hardware, and
    offer ports with minor improvements to other platforms. Given Cell's
    architecture, it hardly looks like a suitable "base" platform to develop
    for. We'd venture to say that a game developed for and ported from the PC
    or Xbox Next would be under-utilizing Cell's performance potential unless
    significant code re-write time was spent.

    Console-only development houses, especially those with close ties to Sony,
    may find themselves able to harness the power of Cell much more efficiently
    than developers who ascribe to the write-once, port-many process of
    cross-platform development. Given EA's recent acquisition and
    licensing-spree, this is a very valid concern.

    With Cell, Sony has effectively traded hardware complexity for programmer
    burden, but if anyone is willing to bear the burden of a complicated
    architecture, it is a game developer. The problem grows in complexity once
    you start factoring in porting to multiple platforms in a timely manner
    while still attempting to achieve maximum performance.

    As a potential contender in the PC market, Cell has a very tall ladder to
    climb before even remotely appearing on the AMD/Intel radars. The biggest
    strength that the x86 market has is backwards compatibility, which is the
    main thing that has kept alternative ISAs out of the PC business.
    Regardless of how much hype is drummed up around Cell, the processor is not
    immune to the same laws of other contenders in the x86 market - a compatible
    ISA is a must. And as Intel's Justin Rattner put it, "if there are good
    ideas in that architecture, PC architecture is very valuable and it will
    move to incorporate those ideas."

    Once again, what's most intriguing is the similarity, at a high level, of
    Intel's far future multi-core designs to Cell today. The main difference
    is that while Intel's Cell-like designs will be built on 32nm or smaller
    processes, Cell is being introduced at 90nm - meaning that Intel is
    envisioning many more complex cores on a single die than Cell. Intel can
    make that kind of migration to a Cell-like design because their
    microprocessors already have a very large user base. IBM, Sony and Toshiba
    can't however - Cell must achieve a very large user base initially in order
    to be competitive down the road. Unfortunately, seeing a future for Cell
    far outside of Playstation 3 and Sony/Toshiba CE devices is difficult at
    best.

    The first thing you have to keep in mind is that Cell's architecture is
    nothing revolutionary, it's been done before. TI's MVP 320C8X is a
    multi-processor DSP that sounds a lot like Cell:
    http://focus.ti.com/docs/military/ca...80&familyId=44.
    So, while Cell is the best mass-market attempt at a design approach that has
    been tried before, it doesn't have history on its side for success beyond a
    limited number of applications.

    Regardless of what gaming platform you're talking about, Cell's ability to
    offer an array of cores to handle sophisticated physics and AI processing is
    the future. AGEIA's announcement of the PhysX PPU (and the fact that it's
    been given the "thumbs up" by Ubisoft and Epic Games) lends further
    credibility to Cell's feasibility as a high performance gaming CPU.

    The need for more realistic physics environments and AI in games is no
    illusion; the question is will Intel's forthcoming dual and multi-core CPUs
    (with further optimized SIMD units) offer enough parallelism and performance
    for game developers, or will the PPU bring Cell-like architecture to the
    desktop PC well ahead of schedule? The answer to that question could very
    well shape the future of desktop PCs even more so than the advent of the
    GPU.

  2. Re: Understanding the Cell Microprocessor [VERY LONG]

    Very interesting read.

    "xenon" wrote in message

    > Understanding the Cell Microprocessor
    >
    > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2379&p=1

  3. Re: Understanding the Cell Microprocessor [VERY LONG]

    Thanks. We can click on links here. Don't waste our space by posting
    the entire contents of web sites.

    Alex

  4. Re: Understanding the Cell Microprocessor [VERY LONG]

    "Alex Johnson" wrote in message
    > Thanks. We can click on links here. Don't waste our space by posting the
    > entire contents of web sites.
    >
    > Alex

    58 KB slowing down the computer?

  5. Re: Understanding the Cell Microprocessor [VERY LONG]

    W????n wrote:
    > "Alex Johnson" wrote in message
    >> Thanks. We can click on links here. Don't waste our space by
    >> posting the entire contents of web sites.
    >>
    >> Alex

    > 58 KB slowing down the computer?

    58 kB to a bunch of newsgroups, sent to tens of thousands news servers
    around the globe, and downloaded by millions -- many of whom pay per bit.
    Multiply the 58 kB with the number of total feeds, sucks and downloads, and
    you've wasted a LOT of bandwidth. Usenet ain't one-to-one email.

    No regards,
    --
    *Art

  6. Re: Understanding the Cell Microprocessor [VERY LONG]

    "Arthur Hagen" writes:

    > 58 kB to a bunch of newsgroups, sent to tens of thousands news
    > servers around the globe, and downloaded by millions -- many of
    > whom pay per bit. Multiply the 58 kB with the number of total
    > feeds, sucks and downloads, and you've wasted a LOT of bandwidth.
    > Usenet ain't one-to-one email.

    Don't necessarilly disagree with you, but it's a molecule in the
    bucket when compared to alt.binaries.*

  7. Re: Understanding the Cell Microprocessor [VERY LONG]

    "David Magda" wrote in message

    > "Arthur Hagen" writes:

    >> 58 kB to a bunch of newsgroups, sent to tens of thousands news
    >> servers around the globe, and downloaded by millions -- many of
    >> whom pay per bit. Multiply the 58 kB with the number of total
    >> feeds, sucks and downloads, and you've wasted a LOT of bandwidth.
    >> Usenet ain't one-to-one email.

    > Don't necessarilly disagree with you, but it's a molecule in the
    > bucket when compared to alt.binaries.*

    Right, but people who care about bandwidth don't carry those groups.

    DS

  8. Re: Understanding the Cell Microprocessor [VERY LONG]

    In article ,
    Arthur Hagen wrote:

    >> 58 KB slowing down the computer?

    >58 kB to a bunch of newsgroups [...]

    The point of cross-posting it to send to multiple newsgroups without
    sending multiple copies, so this is a red herring.

    -- Richard

  9. Re: Understanding the Cell Microprocessor [VERY LONG]

    "Richard Tobin" wrote in message

    > In article ,
    > Arthur Hagen wrote:

    >>> 58 KB slowing down the computer?

    >>58 kB to a bunch of newsgroups [...]

    > The point of cross-posting it to send to multiple newsgroups without
    > sending multiple copies, so this is a red herring.
    >
    > -- Richard

    Not really. The more newsgroups a post is sent to, the more systems the
    post will wind up on, so the size is magnified. Mose systems (both servers
    and clients) only subscribe to a subset of all the available newsgroups.

    DS

  10. Re: Understanding the Cell Microprocessor [VERY LONG]

    David Magda wrote:
    > "Arthur Hagen" writes:
    >
    >> 58 kB to a bunch of newsgroups, sent to tens of thousands news
    >> servers around the globe, and downloaded by millions -- many of
    >> whom pay per bit. Multiply the 58 kB with the number of total
    >> feeds, sucks and downloads, and you've wasted a LOT of bandwidth.
    >> Usenet ain't one-to-one email.

    > Don't necessarilly disagree with you, but it's a molecule in the
    > bucket when compared to alt.binaries.*

    Thing is, people *expect* it there, and can choose not to feed, suck or
    download *.binaries.*

    Regards,
    --
    *Art

  11. Re: Understanding the Cell Microprocessor [VERY LONG]

    W????n wrote:

    >"Alex Johnson" wrote in message
    >> Thanks. We can click on links here. Don't waste our space by posting the
    >> entire contents of web sites.
    >>
    >> Alex

    >58 KB slowing down the computer?

    Idiot.

  12. Re: Understanding the Cell Microprocessor [VERY LONG]

    God-damned nym-shifting spammer. *PLONK* again.

  13. Re: Understanding the Cell Microprocessor [VERY LONG]

    chrisv looked up from reading the entrails of

    >God-damned nym-shifting spammer. *PLONK* again.

    Use a better filter.
    Since this particular crossposting moron always has "xbox" somewhere in
    his name, just flag it on Author: {xbox} and set it to ignore thread.
    Presto every thread started by anyone with "xbox" in their name gets
    ignored.

    You're using agent so you can do that.

    Xocyll