Overheat problems with Lombard Powerbook - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Overheat problems with Lombard Powerbook - Powerpc ; I'm having crash problems when my Lombard powerbook (333 MHz) is going hot. Testing the problem, the dangerous temperature is aroun 75+ Celsius. I'm obtainig the temperature data from /proc/cpuinfo file, and watching it every few seconds. External fan don't ...

  1. Overheat problems with Lombard Powerbook

    I'm having crash problems when my Lombard powerbook (333 MHz) is going
    hot.

    Testing the problem, the dangerous temperature is aroun 75+ Celsius.
    I'm obtainig the temperature data from /proc/cpuinfo file, and watching
    it every few seconds. External fan don't help too much to solve this
    problem, only delay them. Internal fan never goes on. When I use a
    powerful external fan with keyboard removed for better performance, the
    machine never crash in a procesor intensive test.

    Is there a way with software to switch on the internal fan? I saw 1
    PCMCIA circunvent, but I dont have tecnician skills nor tools.

    Kernel 2.4.22-2g, YDL distribution.

    Pietro

  2. Re: Overheat problems with Lombard Powerbook

    On 3/10/05 12:49 PM, in article
    1110476984.920913.234280@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com, "ppesci@gmail.com"
    wrote:

    > I'm having crash problems when my Lombard powerbook (333 MHz) is going
    > hot.
    >
    > Testing the problem, the dangerous temperature is aroun 75+ Celsius.
    > I'm obtainig the temperature data from /proc/cpuinfo file, and watching
    > it every few seconds. External fan don't help too much to solve this
    > problem, only delay them. Internal fan never goes on. When I use a
    > powerful external fan with keyboard removed for better performance, the
    > machine never crash in a procesor intensive test.
    >
    > Is there a way with software to switch on the internal fan? I saw 1
    > PCMCIA circunvent, but I dont have tecnician skills nor tools.
    >
    > Kernel 2.4.22-2g, YDL distribution.

    I don't think this has to do much with YDL. It sounds like the cooling
    assembly needs to be repaired or looked into as it ought to work
    automagically. I have used YDL 4.0 on a G3 Pismo without issue. I am
    currently using Ubuntu 4.10 and now 5.04 - without issue.

    There are a number of places that know how to repair that stuff - a good
    google search under "Powerbook repair" and "Powerbook first aid" should show
    that - at least within North America.

+ Reply to Thread