Yaboot to boot OS/2 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Yaboot to boot OS/2 - Powerpc ; Hi, I am wondering if I can configure/modify yaboot to boot OS/2 powerpc edition? What I have now is Working installation of this os on A hd that has HPFS filesystem. Is there anyway I can get Yaboot to boot ...

  1. Yaboot to boot OS/2

    Hi,

    I am wondering if I can configure/modify yaboot to boot OS/2 powerpc
    edition? What I have now is Working installation of this os on A hd that
    has HPFS filesystem. Is there anyway I can get Yaboot to boot kernel
    from this hd? Kernel is located in c:\mk\mk_test.ppc. It is IBM
    microkernel 1.0 is based on Mach microkernel.

    Tero

  2. Re: Yaboot to boot OS/2

    Tero Kaarlela wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am wondering if I can configure/modify yaboot to boot OS/2 powerpc
    > edition? What I have now is Working installation of this os on A hd that
    > has HPFS filesystem. Is there anyway I can get Yaboot to boot kernel
    > from this hd? Kernel is located in c:\mk\mk_test.ppc. It is IBM
    > microkernel 1.0 is based on Mach microkernel.
    >

    > Tero

    I am replying to myself. I found a file called BL_AUTO from my HD. It
    seems to be the original boot loader since it reads boot.cfg from hd. Is
    there anyway I can install this BL_AUTO to my HD so it would boot rest
    of OS?

    Tero

  3. Re: Yaboot to boot OS/2

    Tero Kaarlela wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am wondering if I can configure/modify yaboot to boot OS/2 powerpc
    > edition? What I have now is Working installation of this os on A hd that
    > has HPFS filesystem. Is there anyway I can get Yaboot to boot kernel
    > from this hd? Kernel is located in c:\mk\mk_test.ppc. It is IBM
    > microkernel 1.0 is based on Mach microkernel.

    I can't help you there, but I would be obliged if you could send me some
    info on the OS/2 PPC installation you have there, like a "dir/s" in the
    root directory, a "ver", and a copu of the default config.sys.

    Also, if possible, can you send me a copy of the cmd.exe file? (I have
    always been curious about the executable format of OS/2 PPC.)

    My email address is andrew@netneurotic.net.

    I am a former OS/2 user (1994 to 1998).

    --
    Andrew J. Brehm
    Marx Brothers Fan

  4. Re: Yaboot to boot OS/2

    Andrew J. Brehm wrote:
    > Tero Kaarlela wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >> I am wondering if I can configure/modify yaboot to boot OS/2 powerpc
    >>edition? What I have now is Working installation of this os on A hd that
    >>has HPFS filesystem. Is there anyway I can get Yaboot to boot kernel
    >>from this hd? Kernel is located in c:\mk\mk_test.ppc. It is IBM
    >>microkernel 1.0 is based on Mach microkernel.
    >>

    > I can't help you there, but I would be obliged if you could send me some
    > info on the OS/2 PPC installation you have there, like a "dir/s" in the
    > root directory, a "ver", and a copu of the default config.sys.
    >
    > Also, if possible, can you send me a copy of the cmd.exe file? (I have
    > always been curious about the executable format of OS/2 PPC.)
    >
    > My email address is andrew@netneurotic.net.
    >
    > I am a former OS/2 user (1994 to 1998).

    Yes I am sending these files attached with this email. There is no
    VER in this OS/2. File list of packed rar archive:

    BL_auto OS/2 boot loader
    Boot.cfg Configuration file
    cmd.exe
    dirsf.lst (Dir /s listing)
    Sysfiles.lst (original list of system files)

    I also know that boot procedure is following:

    1. BL_auto is on partition type 41(PowerPC boot partition)
    2. Firmware loads boot loader to memory
    3. Boot loader loads its config file boot.cfg from system
    partition(Has to be Fat 16 for this version of OS/2)
    4. This start microkernel bootstrap mode (c:\mk\mk_test.ppc)
    5. And we are on our way to boot OS/2

    Config.sys is only for compatibility to OS/2 intel version

    I found this information from IBM Redbook OS/2 powerpc edition first look

    Tero

  5. Re: Yaboot to boot OS/2

    Tero Kaarlela wrote:

    > Andrew J. Brehm wrote:
    > > Tero Kaarlela wrote:
    > >

    > >>Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I am wondering if I can configure/modify yaboot to boot OS/2 powerpc
    > >>edition? What I have now is Working installation of this os on A hd that
    > >>has HPFS filesystem. Is there anyway I can get Yaboot to boot kernel
    > >>from this hd? Kernel is located in c:\mk\mk_test.ppc. It is IBM
    > >>microkernel 1.0 is based on Mach microkernel.
    > >>

    > > I can't help you there, but I would be obliged if you could send me some
    > > info on the OS/2 PPC installation you have there, like a "dir/s" in the
    > > root directory, a "ver", and a copu of the default config.sys.
    > >
    > > Also, if possible, can you send me a copy of the cmd.exe file? (I have
    > > always been curious about the executable format of OS/2 PPC.)
    > >
    > > My email address is andrew@netneurotic.net.
    > >
    > > I am a former OS/2 user (1994 to 1998).

    > Yes I am sending these files attached with this email. There is no
    > VER in this OS/2. File list of packed rar archive:
    >
    > BL_auto OS/2 boot loader
    > Boot.cfg Configuration file
    > cmd.exe
    > dirsf.lst (Dir /s listing)
    > Sysfiles.lst (original list of system files)

    Excellent. Thanks. What is the usual way to get OS/2 PPC to tell you its
    version number?

    > I also know that boot procedure is following:
    >
    > 1. BL_auto is on partition type 41(PowerPC boot partition)
    > 2. Firmware loads boot loader to memory
    > 3. Boot loader loads its config file boot.cfg from system
    > partition(Has to be Fat 16 for this version of OS/2)
    > 4. This start microkernel bootstrap mode (c:\mk\mk_test.ppc)
    > 5. And we are on our way to boot OS/2
    >

    > Config.sys is only for compatibility to OS/2 intel version
    >
    > I found this information from IBM Redbook OS/2 powerpc edition first look

    I know the Redbook. I have some articles on OS/2 PPC from the mid-90s as
    OS/2 INF files (also as Postscript, but the Postscript versions are
    huge). I can send them to you if you like/think they might help.

    I have some info on Open Firmware which might or might not help but
    might at least give you some things to rule in or out.

    --
    Andrew J. Brehm
    Marx Brothers Fan

  6. Re: Yaboot to boot OS/2

    In article <422DCED2.10602@co.inet.fi>,
    Tero Kaarlela writes:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am wondering if I can configure/modify yaboot to boot OS/2 powerpc
    > edition? What I have now is Working installation of this os on A hd that
    > has HPFS filesystem. Is there anyway I can get Yaboot to boot kernel
    > from this hd? Kernel is located in c:\mk\mk_test.ppc. It is IBM
    > microkernel 1.0 is based on Mach microkernel.
    >

    > Tero

    ( I realized after I wrote all the below that I was assuming that you were
    talking about a PowerMac. I don't know whether any of this applies to other
    PowerPC hardware.)

    How do you boot OS/2 currently? I'm guessing you have an HFS partition
    that contains an OS/2 bootloader? If so, then you probably want yaboot to
    "chainload" the OS/2 bootloader. The closest yaboot comes to having a
    chainloader is the "macosx=" option. If you edit yaboot.conf to have the
    macosx option point at the partition with the OS/2 bootloader, it might just
    work.
    You might also find that the ybin installer does some tests to verify that
    it's really a Mac OS X partition it's pointing to. I'm not sure. ybin is a
    shell script, so if you know a little shell scripting, you should be able to
    figure out how to disable those tests.

    P.S. The yaboot maintainer has made it quite clear on numerous occasions
    that he doesn't support this kind of weird (mis?)use of yaboot. So, be sure
    to remember that what I'm suggesting is not supported and absolutely not
    guaranteed to work. And don't waste your time or his time bothering the
    maintainer with this (unless you want to contribute a patch)

+ Reply to Thread