Ubuntu, Gentoo or Yellowdog 4 for G3 iBook - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Ubuntu, Gentoo or Yellowdog 4 for G3 iBook - Powerpc ; I'm trying to decide on a distro for my lowly iBook 500 with 256MB. Tried YDL 3 and it worked OK, but had a few troubles: couldn't get mounting of USB disks and cameras sorted to my satisfaction. Could mount ...

  1. Ubuntu, Gentoo or Yellowdog 4 for G3 iBook

    I'm trying to decide on a distro for my lowly iBook 500 with 256MB.

    Tried YDL 3 and it worked OK, but had a few troubles:
    couldn't get mounting of USB disks and cameras sorted to my
    satisfaction. Could mount them OK if I always put the disk in the same
    USB port, but that's not how USB is supposed to be.

    Couldn't get Phillips ToUcam Pro II working.

    Instant messaging didn't seem to work (Gaim failed to log on to MSN or
    Yahoo)

    Also a bit limiting for the web not having a shockwave flash player.

    I persevered for a few months and went back to OS X, but now I'm
    frustrated at the limitations of this again.

    Anyway to my choices:
    Gentoo customizability looks good, but is it just a gimmick?

    Ubuntu is a single CD download, then installation/updates from the net-
    tried it with debian and it worked nicely, but how good is the hardware
    support?

    YDL 4, seems well supported is it the most popular PPC distro? But have
    the niggles been ironed out?

    Any views or other alternatives?

    Thanks in Advance

    john

  2. Re: Ubuntu, Gentoo or Yellowdog 4 for G3 iBook

    Ciao John Collins, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

    > I'm trying to decide on a distro for my lowly iBook 500 with 256MB.
    >
    > Tried YDL 3 and it worked OK, but had a few troubles:
    > couldn't get mounting of USB disks and cameras sorted to my
    > satisfaction. Could mount them OK if I always put the disk in the same
    > USB port, but that's not how USB is supposed to be.

    YDL3 has a 2.4 kernel. Much of those things weren't supported then.

    > Couldn't get Phillips ToUcam Pro II working.

    That is probably not YDL related.

    > Instant messaging didn't seem to work (Gaim failed to log on to MSN or
    > Yahoo)

    Weird, a broken Gaim could happen.

    > Also a bit limiting for the web not having a shockwave flash player.

    That you will not find it anywhere.

    > Anyway to my choices:
    > Gentoo customizability looks good, but is it just a gimmick?

    If you have the time and patience to play with gentoo, go with it. If you
    want something that works OutOfTheBox(TM) then stay away from that.

    > Ubuntu is a single CD download, then installation/updates from the net-
    > tried it with debian and it worked nicely, but how good is the hardware
    > support?

    Hardware support isn't made by distributions. Is made by the kernel.
    And Ubuntu ships a livecd you can try, but it is definitely a great choice
    if you don't want to install a plain Debian (which is quite easy, with the
    Sarge Debian Installer).

    > YDL 4, seems well supported is it the most popular PPC distro? But have
    > the niggles been ironed out?

    They have just released 4.0.1 that should have resolved some of the bugs
    present in the 4 release.

    > Any views or other alternatives?

    I run Debian, and I am very happy with that. I suggest you Ubuntu/Debian
    as the first choice, then YDL/Fedora (core 4 will ship in ppc flavor!!)
    and in the end source distros like Gentoo/Rock/Crux.

    --
    On Oct 5 1991, 8.53 AM; Linus Benedict Torvalds said:
    >I can (well, almost) hear you asking yourselves "why?". Hurd will be
    >out in a year (or two, or next month, who knows), and I've already got
    >minix.

  3. Re: Ubuntu, Gentoo or Yellowdog 4 for G3 iBook

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 15:17:20 +0100, Jack Malmostoso wrote:

    > Ciao John Collins, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:
    >
    >> I'm trying to decide on a distro for my lowly iBook 500 with 256MB.
    >>
    >> Tried YDL 3 and it worked OK, but had a few troubles:
    >> couldn't get mounting of USB disks and cameras sorted to my
    >> satisfaction. Could mount them OK if I always put the disk in the same
    >> USB port, but that's not how USB is supposed to be.

    Try Ubuntu. There are significantly more binary packages avilable for
    Ubuntu than YDL, and Ubuntu is on a 6mo update schedule. Security
    patches/updates are frequent and timely(unlike YDL). (YDL4 is also pretty
    well bloated.)

    Bottom line: from the looks of things YDL's popularity is dropping like a
    rock(if it ever was that popular, as even before Ubuntu it seemed that
    most ppc linux people were using Debian).

    Gentoo: pretty much constantly updated, lots of packages. Drawbacks
    updated so frequently you may break your system partially until the repos
    are updated with fixes, and you have to compile pretty much everything
    which will take a LONG time with a G3 for a minimal performance
    improvement. Just not worth it, IMNHO.

    You may also want to look at other ppc distros or distros with ppc
    support, e.g. Crux ppc, etc.

    Personally, I ended up with Ubuntu on the same machine that you have.
    Originally had SuSE 7.1, YDL 2.3, YDL 3.x, and now Ubuntu 4.10 soon to 5.x.
    (Be aware Ubuntu officially (as of now) only supports GNOME, however there
    has been some pushing for KDE and a temporary KUbuntu unofficial project.
    Also most of KDE stuff and Qt libs are in the non-"official" repos.
    Personally, I can't stand KDE, but in case you do... (I tend to run xfce
    or fluxbox))

  4. Re: Ubuntu, Gentoo or Yellowdog 4 for G3 iBook

    Thanks, I was leaning towards Ubuntu, even though I can't find a Ubuntu
    PPC livecd anywhere, I think I'll give it a try.

    Nothing much to lose, only a couple of hours backing up my data and
    settling down for the evening during the install.

    I presume the disk partitioning will be destructive- I'm not aware of a
    reliable non destructive partitioning tool for hfs+ partitions

    If I remember correctly to dual boot with YDL 3 the linux partitions had
    to go before the Mac OS. Is there any similar requirement for Ubuntu.

    john

    cutterjohn wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 15:17:20 +0100, Jack Malmostoso wrote:
    >

    >>Ciao John Collins, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:
    >>

    >>>I'm trying to decide on a distro for my lowly iBook 500 with 256MB.
    >>>
    >>>Tried YDL 3 and it worked OK, but had a few troubles:
    >>>couldn't get mounting of USB disks and cameras sorted to my
    >>>satisfaction. Could mount them OK if I always put the disk in the same
    >>>USB port, but that's not how USB is supposed to be.

    > Try Ubuntu. There are significantly more binary packages avilable for
    > Ubuntu than YDL, and Ubuntu is on a 6mo update schedule. Security
    > patches/updates are frequent and timely(unlike YDL). (YDL4 is also pretty
    > well bloated.)
    >
    > Bottom line: from the looks of things YDL's popularity is dropping like a
    > rock(if it ever was that popular, as even before Ubuntu it seemed that
    > most ppc linux people were using Debian).
    >
    > Gentoo: pretty much constantly updated, lots of packages. Drawbacks
    > updated so frequently you may break your system partially until the repos
    > are updated with fixes, and you have to compile pretty much everything
    > which will take a LONG time with a G3 for a minimal performance
    > improvement. Just not worth it, IMNHO.
    >
    > You may also want to look at other ppc distros or distros with ppc
    > support, e.g. Crux ppc, etc.
    >
    > Personally, I ended up with Ubuntu on the same machine that you have.
    > Originally had SuSE 7.1, YDL 2.3, YDL 3.x, and now Ubuntu 4.10 soon to 5.x.
    > (Be aware Ubuntu officially (as of now) only supports GNOME, however there
    > has been some pushing for KDE and a temporary KUbuntu unofficial project.
    > Also most of KDE stuff and Qt libs are in the non-"official" repos.
    > Personally, I can't stand KDE, but in case you do... (I tend to run xfce
    > or fluxbox))

  5. Re: Ubuntu, Gentoo or Yellowdog 4 for G3 iBook

    Ciao John Collins, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

    > Thanks, I was leaning towards Ubuntu, even though I can't find a Ubuntu
    > PPC livecd anywhere, I think I'll give it a try.

    There:

    http://cdimage.ubuntulinux.org/daily...ve-powerpc.iso

    > Nothing much to lose, only a couple of hours backing up my data and
    > settling down for the evening during the install.
    >
    > I presume the disk partitioning will be destructive- I'm not aware of a
    > reliable non destructive partitioning tool for hfs+ partitions

    Some commercial tool like iPartition can help you.

    > If I remember correctly to dual boot with YDL 3 the linux partitions had
    > to go before the Mac OS. Is there any similar requirement for Ubuntu.

    I have them like those and works.

    --
    On Oct 5 1991, 8.53 AM; Linus Benedict Torvalds said:
    >I can (well, almost) hear you asking yourselves "why?". Hurd will be
    >out in a year (or two, or next month, who knows), and I've already got
    >minix.

  6. Re: Ubuntu, Gentoo or Yellowdog 4 for G3 iBook

    In article ,
    John Collins wrote:

    > Thanks, I was leaning towards Ubuntu, even though I can't find a Ubuntu
    > PPC livecd anywhere, I think I'll give it a try.
    >
    > Nothing much to lose, only a couple of hours backing up my data and
    > settling down for the evening during the install.
    >
    > I presume the disk partitioning will be destructive- I'm not aware of a
    > reliable non destructive partitioning tool for hfs+ partitions
    >
    > If I remember correctly to dual boot with YDL 3 the linux partitions had
    > to go before the Mac OS. Is there any similar requirement for Ubuntu.
    >
    > john

    I have a Powerbook G3 with three partitions, Ubuntu is on the last one,
    and it works. Sort of. I don't see much use in using a laptop unless you
    can put it to sleep, and I couldn't see any way to do that with Ubuntu,
    though perhaps I didn't look hard enough. I the meantime, I got
    distracted by another project, so I haven't messed with it for a while.

    As for partitioning, check this:

    > The patch that let you shrink your mac partition non destructivly with
    > GNU Parted is out and available here :
    > http://xilun.nerim.net/Projet/Parted...fs-13.patch.gz
    > ( GNU Parted is available here : http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parted/ )

    I have not tried this myself.
    --
    fudo can be reached at spamblocked d o t c o m

  7. Re: Ubuntu, Gentoo or Yellowdog 4 for G3 iBook

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 16:59:47 +0000,
    John Collins , in
    wrote:
    >+ Thanks, I was leaning towards Ubuntu, even though I can't find a Ubuntu
    >+ PPC livecd anywhere, I think I'll give it a try.

    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/h...rray-3.5-live/

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  8. Re: Ubuntu, Gentoo or Yellowdog 4 for G3 iBook

    fudo wrote:
    > In article ,
    > John Collins wrote:
    >

    >>Thanks, I was leaning towards Ubuntu, even though I can't find a Ubuntu
    >>PPC livecd anywhere, I think I'll give it a try.
    >>
    >>Nothing much to lose, only a couple of hours backing up my data and
    >>settling down for the evening during the install.
    >>
    >>I presume the disk partitioning will be destructive- I'm not aware of a
    >>reliable non destructive partitioning tool for hfs+ partitions
    >>
    >>If I remember correctly to dual boot with YDL 3 the linux partitions had
    >>to go before the Mac OS. Is there any similar requirement for Ubuntu.
    >>
    >>john

    > I have a Powerbook G3 with three partitions, Ubuntu is on the last one,
    > and it works. Sort of. I don't see much use in using a laptop unless you
    > can put it to sleep, and I couldn't see any way to do that with Ubuntu,
    > though perhaps I didn't look hard enough. I the meantime, I got
    > distracted by another project, so I haven't messed with it for a while.
    >
    > As for partitioning, check this:
    >

    >>The patch that let you shrink your mac partition non destructivly with
    >>GNU Parted is out and available here :
    >>http://xilun.nerim.net/Projet/Parted...fs-13.patch.gz
    >>( GNU Parted is available here : http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parted/ )

    > I have not tried this myself.

    Thanks - I'll take a look at the the patch for parted.

    For your interest I had the exact same problem with suspend, there's a
    fair bit about it in the Ubuntu forums. The fix described here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-6803.html worked perfectly
    for me. See the posting by diablo (4th from top) which worked perfectly
    for me. Shouldn't take you more than 10 mins. Just one thing to add, I
    had to restart pbbuttonsd, with sudo /etc/init.d pbbuttonsd restart.

    You may also want to do a little bit of fiddling with
    /etc/pbbuttons/pbbuttonsd.conf to tweak the power saving options.

    john

  9. Re: Ubuntu, Gentoo or Yellowdog 4 for G3 iBook

    In article ,
    John Collins wrote:

    > Thanks - I'll take a look at the the patch for parted.
    >
    > For your interest I had the exact same problem with suspend, there's a
    > fair bit about it in the Ubuntu forums. The fix described here:
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-6803.html worked perfectly
    > for me. See the posting by diablo (4th from top) which worked perfectly
    > for me. Shouldn't take you more than 10 mins. Just one thing to add, I
    > had to restart pbbuttonsd, with sudo /etc/init.d pbbuttonsd restart.
    >
    > You may also want to do a little bit of fiddling with
    > /etc/pbbuttons/pbbuttonsd.conf to tweak the power saving options.

    Thanks, I'll go have a look when I have some free time.
    --
    fudo can be reached at spamblocked d o t c o m

+ Reply to Thread