lilo - Powerpc

This is a discussion on lilo - Powerpc ; I have been reading the procedures for getting xcdroast to work, i.e. fooling linux to seeing IDE/ATAPI drives as SCSI. Most refer to the lilo file which, if I understand correctly, specifies what modules to load on startup. I have ...

  1. lilo

    I have been reading the procedures for getting xcdroast to work, i.e.
    fooling linux to seeing IDE/ATAPI drives as SCSI. Most refer to the lilo
    file which, if I understand correctly, specifies what modules to load on
    startup. I have been unable to locate lilo. I admit that I have not
    personally parsed each filename on the drive but I think some other file
    must hold the info in question. Any suggestions?
    kk

  2. Re: lilo

    Ciao Keith Krehbiel, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

    > Most refer to the lilo
    > file which, if I understand correctly, specifies what modules to load on
    > startup. I have been unable to locate lilo. I admit that I have not
    > personally parsed each filename on the drive but I think some other file
    > must hold the info in question. Any suggestions?

    What you are talking about is appending the

    hdX = ide-scsi

    line to the kernel arguments.

    To change that, you must change /etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub/menu.lst on
    x86 machines, but on PPC you should append that in /etc/yaboot.conf.

    Please note that you don't need to do that if you use a 2.6 kernel.

    --
    On Oct 5 1991, 8.53 AM; Linus Benedict Torvalds said:
    >I can (well, almost) hear you asking yourselves "why?". Hurd will be
    >out in a year (or two, or next month, who knows), and I've already got
    >minix.

  3. Re: lilo

    Jack Malmostoso wrote:
    > Ciao Keith Krehbiel, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:
    >

    >>Most refer to the lilo
    >>file which, if I understand correctly, specifies what modules to load on
    >>startup. I have been unable to locate lilo. I admit that I have not
    >>personally parsed each filename on the drive but I think some other file
    >>must hold the info in question. Any suggestions?

    > What you are talking about is appending the
    >
    > hdX = ide-scsi
    >
    > line to the kernel arguments.
    >
    > To change that, you must change /etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub/menu.lst on
    > x86 machines, but on PPC you should append that in /etc/yaboot.conf.
    >
    > Please note that you don't need to do that if you use a 2.6 kernel.

    Ok. What do those of us do that run old world macs and use neither
    yaboot nor grub?
    kk

  4. Re: lilo

    "jim" == jim bob and joe bob writes:

    jim> Jack Malmostoso wrote:

    >> What you are talking about is appending the hdX = ide-scsi line
    >> to the kernel arguments. To change that, you must change
    >> /etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub/menu.lst on x86 machines, but on
    >> PPC you should append that in /etc/yaboot.conf. Please note
    >> that you don't need to do that if you use a 2.6 kernel.

    jim> Ok. What do those of us do that run old world macs and use
    jim> neither yaboot nor grub? kk

    A boot loader independent way to do this sort of thing is to make sure
    ide-cd always ignores the drive you want to use ide-scsi on, and load
    ide-scsi when you need it.

    For example, I have a machine here (it is x86) that has a CD drive on
    /dev/hdc and a CD-RW drive on /dev/hdd. I want ide-scsi on /dev/hdd
    but ide-cd on /dev/hdc.

    I created a file called /etc/modutils/cdrw (the name is arbitrary)
    with the following text

    # First, get the ide-cd drive to not latch onto /dev/hdd
    options ide-cd ignore=hdd
    #
    #
    # Set up an alias for /dev/scd0 to load sr_mod
    alias scd0 sr_mod
    #
    #
    # Now get ide-cd followed by ide-scsi loaded before the SCSI drivers
    pre-install sg modprobe ide-scsi
    pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi
    pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd

    and then run update-modules (as root) to recreate /etc/modules.conf

    The next time you boot a regular Debian kernel without any boot loader
    hackery you can be assured that things will work.

    You need to make the adjustments you need for your hardware above. I'm
    sorry I can't give you specific suggestions for powerpc since I don't
    do this stuff on my G5.

    Have fun.

    Cheers!
    Shyamal

  5. Re: lilo

    Shyamal Prasad wrote:
    > "jim" == jim bob and joe bob writes:
    >
    > jim> Jack Malmostoso wrote:
    >
    > >> What you are talking about is appending the hdX = ide-scsi line
    > >> to the kernel arguments. To change that, you must change
    > >> /etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub/menu.lst on x86 machines, but on
    > >> PPC you should append that in /etc/yaboot.conf. Please note
    > >> that you don't need to do that if you use a 2.6 kernel.

    > jim> Ok. What do those of us do that run old world macs and use
    > jim> neither yaboot nor grub? kk
    >
    > A boot loader independent way to do this sort of thing is to make sure
    > ide-cd always ignores the drive you want to use ide-scsi on, and load
    > ide-scsi when you need it.
    >
    > For example, I have a machine here (it is x86) that has a CD drive on
    > /dev/hdc and a CD-RW drive on /dev/hdd. I want ide-scsi on /dev/hdd
    > but ide-cd on /dev/hdc.
    >
    > I created a file called /etc/modutils/cdrw (the name is arbitrary)
    > with the following text
    >

    > # First, get the ide-cd drive to not latch onto /dev/hdd
    > options ide-cd ignore=hdd
    > #
    > #
    > # Set up an alias for /dev/scd0 to load sr_mod
    > alias scd0 sr_mod
    > #
    > #
    > # Now get ide-cd followed by ide-scsi loaded before the SCSI drivers
    > pre-install sg modprobe ide-scsi
    > pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi
    > pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd
    >

    > and then run update-modules (as root) to recreate /etc/modules.conf
    >
    > The next time you boot a regular Debian kernel without any boot loader
    > hackery you can be assured that things will work.
    >
    > You need to make the adjustments you need for your hardware above. I'm
    > sorry I can't give you specific suggestions for powerpc since I don't
    > do this stuff on my G5.
    >
    > Have fun.
    >
    > Cheers!
    > Shyamal

    Thanks for your help again. I will have to ponder that for a little
    bit. It won't hurt my feelings if my cdrw stays scsi if the system
    doesn't care. I have been looking at xcdroast and it looks like a good
    program to use if it can only find my drive. I have only the one
    optical on here so it gets to do everything. Probably best if it is
    seen as scsi system-wide.
    kk

+ Reply to Thread