'Default Catch' errors? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on 'Default Catch' errors? - Powerpc ; I'm trying to install Debian on my G3 , and when I try to load from the bootup cd, I get looping "Default Catch! code=300" errors. I've tried changing settings in open firmware, but to no avail. there's no os ...

  1. 'Default Catch' errors?

    I'm trying to install Debian on my G3 , and when I try to load from the
    bootup cd, I get looping "Default Catch! code=300" errors. I've tried
    changing settings in open firmware, but to no avail. there's no os on
    the computer now, so I really can't do anything with it. I've looked up
    this error and haven't found much, does anyone know what I should do?
    thanks...

  2. Re: 'Default Catch' errors?

    Koral Maze wrote:
    > I'm trying to install Debian on my G3 , and when I try to load from the
    > bootup cd, I get looping "Default Catch! code=300" errors. I've tried
    > changing settings in open firmware, but to no avail. there's no os on
    > the computer now, so I really can't do anything with it. I've looked up
    > this error and haven't found much, does anyone know what I should do?
    > thanks...

    What version Debian? What model G3? If it is 'old world' or beige you
    need a rudimentary install of mac os in order to run Bootx. I have been
    trying to install on a disk with only linux partitions and the installer
    crashes with the message that it is unable to mount an hfs partion so I
    formatted under Mac OS with a 32mb hfs partiton.

  3. Re: 'Default Catch' errors?

    > What version Debian? What model G3? If it is 'old world' or beige you
    > need a rudimentary install of mac os in order to run Bootx.

    It was Debian 3.0, and its an imac powerpc 750. I don't know what this
    error means, but I tried to boot with both Fedora and Ubuntu, and they
    got the same looping "Default Catch" error as the Debian cd did.

  4. Re: 'Default Catch' errors?

    Koral Maze wrote:
    >>What version Debian? What model G3? If it is 'old world' or beige you
    >>need a rudimentary install of mac os in order to run Bootx.

    > It was Debian 3.0, and its an imac powerpc 750. I don't know what this
    > error means, but I tried to boot with both Fedora and Ubuntu, and they
    > got the same looping "Default Catch" error as the Debian cd did.

    I am sorry to not be of much help on modern equipment. Open firmware is
    greek to me so far. Maybe someone else can help. I know there has been
    trouble getting macs to boot the cds. There are several threads in the
    ubuntu forum. You might look there.
    kk

  5. Re: 'Default Catch' errors?

    oh, I've got it all set now, It worked once I reset the nvram again. I
    do wonder what it was causing that error though...

+ Reply to Thread