trick with upgrading from 2.2 to 2.4? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on trick with upgrading from 2.2 to 2.4? - Powerpc ; I've installed Debian 3.0 on a PowerMac 8200. It comes with a 2.2 kernel. I've built a 2.4 kernel, but whenever I boot it the system hangs when setting the clock. Is there a some changes to the system (e.g. ...

  1. trick with upgrading from 2.2 to 2.4?

    I've installed Debian 3.0 on a PowerMac 8200. It comes with a 2.2
    kernel.
    I've built a 2.4 kernel, but whenever I boot it the system hangs when
    setting the clock.
    Is there a some changes to the system (e.g. new device entries) that
    need to be applied before it is 2.4-ready? If anyone knows a document
    that explains the pitfalls with upgrading from 2.2 to 2.4 I'd appreciate
    to learn about it. Thanks.

    --
    Georg Schwarz http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
    georg.schwarz@freenet.de +49 177 8811442

  2. Re: trick with upgrading from 2.2 to 2.4?

    In article <1gsa6nm.pall68bf0fadN@georg.schwarz.online.de>,
    georg.schwarz@freenet.de (Georg Schwarz) wrote:

    > I've installed Debian 3.0 on a PowerMac 8200. It comes with a 2.2
    > kernel.
    > I've built a 2.4 kernel, but whenever I boot it the system hangs when
    > setting the clock.
    > Is there a some changes to the system (e.g. new device entries) that
    > need to be applied before it is 2.4-ready? If anyone knows a document
    > that explains the pitfalls with upgrading from 2.2 to 2.4 I'd appreciate
    > to learn about it. Thanks.

    You should check the Debian help lists. I recall having this problem
    when I ran Debian. IIRC, there was a bug in clock which caused it to
    hang. I had to disable it, I think. Sorry I don't remember the details.

    --
    "My Break-Dancing days are over, but there's always the Funky Chicken"
    --The Full Monty

  3. Re: trick with upgrading from 2.2 to 2.4?

    Hi,

    I believe there are some Debian-specific infrastructure to help with
    this, I would check the debian-powerpc list archive...

    I think I used some combination of apt and some other configuration
    commands trying to get a custom kernel with linux-wlan-ng going, but I
    am on YDL for now...

    Linc
    Lorenzo wrote:
    > In article <1gsa6nm.pall68bf0fadN@georg.schwarz.online.de>,
    > georg.schwarz@freenet.de (Georg Schwarz) wrote:
    >

    >>I've installed Debian 3.0 on a PowerMac 8200. It comes with a 2.2
    >>kernel.
    >>I've built a 2.4 kernel, but whenever I boot it the system hangs when
    >>setting the clock.
    >>Is there a some changes to the system (e.g. new device entries) that
    >>need to be applied before it is 2.4-ready? If anyone knows a document
    >>that explains the pitfalls with upgrading from 2.2 to 2.4 I'd appreciate
    >>to learn about it. Thanks.

    > You should check the Debian help lists. I recall having this problem
    > when I ran Debian. IIRC, there was a bug in clock which caused it to
    > hang. I had to disable it, I think. Sorry I don't remember the details.

+ Reply to Thread