Any distro that will install/run on PreP PPC boxes? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Any distro that will install/run on PreP PPC boxes? - Powerpc ; I have several 43P-140's that need to be retired but they run just fine on AIX 5.1. As we are moving away from AIX I would like to get more life from these boxes. Anyone have experience with solid distros ...

  1. Any distro that will install/run on PreP PPC boxes?

    I have several 43P-140's that need to be retired but they run just
    fine on AIX 5.1. As we are moving away from AIX I would like to get
    more life from these boxes. Anyone have experience with solid distros
    for these platforms?

    TIA

  2. Re: Any distro that will install/run on PreP PPC boxes?

    In Bob_M writes:

    >I have several 43P-140's that need to be retired but they run just
    >fine on AIX 5.1. As we are moving away from AIX I would like to get
    >more life from these boxes. Anyone have experience with solid distros
    >for these platforms?

    I've installed Debian woody on a 140 recently, but it wasn't a standard
    install (this is an euphemism...). I got it to work with the instructions
    from Leigh Brown:

    http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/

    There was work going on to get the install to work in Debian sarge, together
    with the new Debian installer, so maybe you should try that first. There
    was a lengthy discussion regarding the install on another 140 (which had
    a damaged internal network interface, as it turned out) on the Debian PPC
    mailinglist, which will provide more info,

    HTH,
    Uli
    --
    Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de
    Stormweg 24 |listening to: Suicide Drive (The Deep Eynde)

  3. Re: Any distro that will install/run on PreP PPC boxes?

    43p-140s aren't bad machines runing one as an nfs server right now.

    as mentioned Leigh Brown's site:

    > http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/

    was extremely helpful.

    After first getting one up and goin in Debian I ended up switching it
    over to gentoo which runs fine - perhaps better than Debian.

    Just get ready to use your serial console - IBM was not very nice
    concerning graphics though I did get X going on a matrox card.

    outside of the graphics issues (not a problem on server boxes) a great
    and stable box.

    MFP

+ Reply to Thread