x-windows revisited - Powerpc

This is a discussion on x-windows revisited - Powerpc ; Back again trying to get x-windows to work. Beige G3 300mHz, 500+MB ram, using Debian woody installed on a 4.3 gig external SCSI drive. Startx consistantly fails. It seems like the sticking point is the mouse driver. The system fails ...

  1. x-windows revisited

    Back again trying to get x-windows to work. Beige G3 300mHz, 500+MB
    ram, using Debian woody installed on a 4.3 gig external SCSI drive.
    Startx consistantly fails. It seems like the sticking point is the
    mouse driver. The system fails for lack of a core pointing device. I
    have an adb mouse and a usb logitec trackball connected. There really
    doesn't seem to be an option for either in the initial configuration. I
    have chosen psaux because when the system boots it claims to have found
    a PS/2 mouse which I am assuming to be the adb. USB seems to be
    undetected. Is USB support on woody broken/faulty/non-existant? The
    log shows a Configured Mouse and a psaux mouse that it can't identify.
    Any suggestions what to call my mice? Is there a nice way to
    reconfigure the system to include them? Must I edit XF86Config-4? If
    that is the case what should I change?
    dpkg-reconfigure x-windows-system from root prompt really does nothing
    that I can tell. Replacing psaux with adb in the config file doesn't
    help either (surprise, surprise).
    It seems like after 6 months of wrestling this thing I am finally
    getting close. Any suggestions will be most appreciated.
    KK

  2. Re: x-windows revisited

    jim bob and joe bob writes:
    >Is USB support on woody broken/faulty/non-existant?

    IIRC Woody has a 2.2 kernel by default, and that probably does not
    support USB. Try a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel.

    - anton

  3. Re: x-windows revisited

    Anton Ertl wrote:
    > jim bob and joe bob writes:
    >
    >>Is USB support on woody broken/faulty/non-existant?

    > IIRC Woody has a 2.2 kernel by default, and that probably does not
    > support USB. Try a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel.
    >
    > - anton

    How can you tell which kernal you have? I have failed to learn where
    the kernal is located. The boot kernal used by bootx is 2.4. Even so,
    it seems like there should be some support for adb from a distro that
    claims to run on a mac.

    KK

  4. Re: x-windows revisited

    jim bob and joe bob writes:
    >How can you tell which kernal you have?

    uname -r
    cat /proc/version

    - anton

  5. Re: x-windows revisited

    Anton Ertl wrote:
    > jim bob and joe bob writes:
    >
    >>How can you tell which kernal you have?

    > uname -r
    > cat /proc/version
    >
    > - anton

    Thanks
    kk

  6. Re: x-windows revisited

    jim bob and joe bob wrote:
    > Anton Ertl wrote:
    >
    >> jim bob and joe bob writes:
    >>
    >>> How can you tell which kernal you have?

    >> uname -r
    >> cat /proc/version
    >>
    >> - anton

    > Thanks
    > kk

    It's version 2.4.18.
    kk

  7. Re: x-windows revisited

    jim bob and joe bob writes:
    [USB mouse]
    >It's version 2.4.18.

    Should be able to do USB

    What does

    lsmod

    say? You could try

    modprobe hid
    modprobe mousedev

    - anton

  8. Re: x-windows revisited

    Anton Ertl wrote:
    > jim bob and joe bob writes:
    > [USB mouse]
    >
    >>It's version 2.4.18.

    > Should be able to do USB
    >
    > What does
    >
    > lsmod
    >
    > say? You could try
    >
    > modprobe hid
    > modprobe mousedev
    >
    > - anton

    I confess that I have not yet tried your last suggestion. It occurs to
    me that I have asked the wrong question. Probably what I really need to
    know is how to get Debian or x-windows to recognise a adb mouse. There
    is a macintosh keyboard selection in the system installer but nothing
    that specifically mentions adb or macintosh mice. That is more ancient
    technology that should be in some way supported. Any clues there?
    kk

  9. Re: x-windows revisited

    On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:39:33 -0600,
    jim bob and joe bob , in
    <111ibe5q3o9j9d6@corp.supernews.com> wrote:

    >+ me that I have asked the wrong question. Probably what I really need to
    >+ know is how to get Debian or x-windows to recognise a adb mouse. There
    >+ is a macintosh keyboard selection in the system installer but nothing
    >+ that specifically mentions adb or macintosh mice. That is more ancient
    >+ technology that should be in some way supported. Any clues there?

    Do you have "mdetect" installed? if not, then "apt-get install
    mdetect", then run mdetect. It should tell you what meeses you have
    installed, what protocol they use, what their device names are.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  10. Re: x-windows revisited

    jim bob and joe bob writes:
    >I confess that I have not yet tried your last suggestion. It occurs to
    >me that I have asked the wrong question. Probably what I really need to
    >know is how to get Debian or x-windows to recognise a adb mouse. There
    >is a macintosh keyboard selection in the system installer but nothing
    >that specifically mentions adb or macintosh mice. That is more ancient
    >technology that should be in some way supported. Any clues there?

    My XF86Config-4 contains the following mouse configurations.

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

    Both are used in the ServerLayout section.

    According to dmesg, I have an ADB mouse (the trackpad) and an USB mouse:

    ADB mouse at 3, handler set to 4 (trackpad)
    input: ADB mouse on adb3:3.01/input
    mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
    input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Topro USB Mouse] on usb-0001:10:1b.0-1
    input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Topro USB Mouse] on usb-0001:10:1b.0-1

    Both work, unfortunately (I would love to be able to disable the
    trackpad).

    - anton