Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems - Powerpc ; I cannot find a copy of BootX or miboot anywhere...could someone PLEASE tell me where I can find these. I have a 233 G3 with 128 mb of RAM, and several ppc distros.....anyone who has had success, i would greatly ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems

    I cannot find a copy of BootX or miboot anywhere...could someone
    PLEASE tell me where I can find these. I have a 233 G3 with 128 mb of
    RAM, and several ppc distros.....anyone who has had success, i would
    greatly appreciate your knowledge!!!

  2. Re: Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems

    On 2/18/2005 7:37 AM, blues said:
    > I cannot find a copy of BootX or miboot anywhere...could someone
    > PLEASE tell me where I can find these. I have a 233 G3 with 128 mb of
    > RAM, and several ppc distros.....anyone who has had success, i would
    > greatly appreciate your knowledge!!!

    Straight off google :-)

    http://penguinppc.org/~benh/
    http://ftp.penguinppc.org/projects/BootX/

    Hope this helps,

    David H

  3. Re: Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems

    I have downloaded several different BootX files, and all of them
    (including the one on my Debian PPC install disk) fail to open with
    Stuffit Expander on my Mac OS 8.5. Do I need a new version of
    Stuffit, and is there any way I can bypass BootX and just have Debian
    on my G3?? I have a 4 gig HD and 128 MB of RAM, and I really want to
    run some flavor of Linux on it. Please help if you can

  4. Re: Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems

    In article ,
    blues writes:
    > I have downloaded several different BootX files, and all of them
    > (including the one on my Debian PPC install disk) fail to open with
    > Stuffit Expander on my Mac OS 8.5. Do I need a new version of
    > Stuffit, and is there any way I can bypass BootX and just have Debian
    > on my G3?? I have a 4 gig HD and 128 MB of RAM, and I really want to
    > run some flavor of Linux on it. Please help if you can

    Have you tried using a boot floppy?

    Are you just trying to install Linux or have you installed it already and
    now you're trying to get it to boot automatically?

  5. Re: Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems

    I have not tried a floppy yet...which file would i need to put on the
    floppy? I would prefer to just have Debian running on this box, but i
    will dual boot it if it is the only way.
    Sorry for all the newbie questions, but i am a linux novice and would
    really like to use this old g3 as a linux server someday...Please help
    if you have any ideas

  6. Re: Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems

    blues wrote:
    > I have not tried a floppy yet...which file would i need to put on the
    > floppy? I would prefer to just have Debian running on this box, but i
    > will dual boot it if it is the only way.
    > Sorry for all the newbie questions, but i am a linux novice and would
    > really like to use this old g3 as a linux server someday...Please help
    > if you have any ideas

    You might want to look at the installation manual found here:
    http://www.debian.org/releases/stabl...-create-floppy

    You will need to make a pair of floppy disks from images found on the
    first cd of the distro. The proceedure for making them is found here:
    http://www.debian.org/releases/stabl...-create-floppy
    Follow the instructions. You have to make the boot floppy without
    disturbing the contents of the image. It involves locking the image
    from the 'get info' window of macos. I have had to hold
    cmd+opt+shft+delete to make the floppy boot. Then once the initial
    install is completed reboot using the vulcan death grip (cmd+opt+p+r),
    reset the pram (make it chime an extra time).
    You will have to use Bootx from MacOs to boot into linux. That
    procedure is also in the manual but if it doesn't make sense to you
    please feel free to post your questions. You can put an alias to bootx
    into your macos startup file so that it comes up when you boot macos.
    Don't hold me to this but it seems like I had a machine set up to go
    ahead and boot linux from there automatically. If that is not possible
    you can configure it so all it takes is a carriage return to send it to
    linux.

  7. Re: Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems

    TY very much...I still have not found a BootX that will
    'unstuff'...every copy i have tried gives me an error claiming that
    the archive is bad....i am using Mac OS 8.5, so i am beginning to
    think that the Stuffit is either too old to de-compress, or every
    version of BootX on the internet is corrupt (lol)....any ideas??

  8. Re: Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems

    On 2/19/2005 5:43 PM, blues said:
    > TY very much...I still have not found a BootX that will
    > 'unstuff'...every copy i have tried gives me an error claiming that
    > the archive is bad....i am using Mac OS 8.5, so i am beginning to
    > think that the Stuffit is either too old to de-compress, or every
    > version of BootX on the internet is corrupt (lol)....any ideas??

    This any use?

    http://www.rocklinux.net/people/fake/bootx/

    cheers,

    David H

  9. Re: Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems

    blues wrote:
    > TY very much...I still have not found a BootX that will
    > 'unstuff'...every copy i have tried gives me an error claiming that
    > the archive is bad....i am using Mac OS 8.5, so i am beginning to
    > think that the Stuffit is either too old to de-compress, or every
    > version of BootX on the internet is corrupt (lol)....any ideas??

    What version of Stuffit do you have? I am using version 7.0.3 which I
    am sure was a free download. It unstuffed just fine for me.
    kk

  10. Re: Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems

    i am using 4.5,.....can someone please tell me where i can get a newer
    version of stuffit?? when i tried to get one thru the apple site, they
    were going to send me an email with a download link, but it never came

  11. Re: Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems

    bluesbravo@gmail.com wrote:
    > i am using 4.5,.....can someone please tell me where i can get a newer
    > version of stuffit?? when i tried to get one thru the apple site, they
    > were going to send me an email with a download link, but it never came

    Link for VersionTracker: http://www.versiontracker.com/macos/
    A good link to have handy.

    Link to VersionTracker page that has Stuffit 7.0.3 download:
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/19075

    Try that.
    kk

  12. Re: Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems

    ty for the links.....i found another way to get this g3 running, and
    please for give the multi-posts, but this new installation file seems
    much easier....
    I have finally had some success with installing debian on my G3 using
    Mk-linux booter and other tools that were used in this installation

    http://www.qednet.biz/About7100.html

    i placed the appropriate files in their respective folders in the
    Apple System folder, and when i restart, the dual-boot screen pops
    up....BUT when i select linux, an installation begins but always
    hangs-up on this line....

    Copying boot infos parameters....done
    Will enter kernel after relocating ourselves to 0x004f00 (size =
    000600)
    Restarting at 0x004f10c

  13. Re: Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems

    On 21 Feb 2005 11:20:22 -0800, "bluesbravo@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    i downloaded the stuffit from the link you gave me, but when i tried
    to install it, i was told that i needed 8.6 to install....i am running
    8.5 by the way....i have tried BootX, which my old version of Stuffit
    will not 'unstuff', and i have tried the MKLinux booter, which hangs
    on

    Copying boot infos parameters....done
    Will enter kernel after relocating ourselves to 0x004f00 (size =
    000600)
    Restarting at 0x004f10c

    anyone have any solutions....THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!
    >ty for the links.....i found another way to get this g3 running, and
    >please for give the multi-posts, but this new installation file seems
    >much easier....
    >I have finally had some success with installing debian on my G3 using
    >Mk-linux booter and other tools that were used in this installation
    >
    >http://www.qednet.biz/About7100.html
    >
    >i placed the appropriate files in their respective folders in the
    >Apple System folder, and when i restart, the dual-boot screen pops
    >up....BUT when i select linux, an installation begins but always
    >hangs-up on this line....
    >

    >Copying boot infos parameters....done
    >Will enter kernel after relocating ourselves to 0x004f00 (size =
    >000600)
    >Restarting at 0x004f10c

  14. Re: Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems

    blues wrote:
    > On 21 Feb 2005 11:20:22 -0800, "bluesbravo@gmail.com"
    > wrote:
    > i downloaded the stuffit from the link you gave me, but when i tried
    > to install it, i was told that i needed 8.6 to install....i am running
    > 8.5 by the way....i have tried BootX, which my old version of Stuffit
    > will not 'unstuff', and i have tried the MKLinux booter, which hangs
    > on
    >
    > Copying boot infos parameters....done
    > Will enter kernel after relocating ourselves to 0x004f00 (size =
    > 000600)
    > Restarting at 0x004f10c
    >

    > anyone have any solutions....THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!
    >
    >>ty for the links.....i found another way to get this g3 running, and
    >>please for give the multi-posts, but this new installation file seems
    >>much easier....
    >>I have finally had some success with installing debian on my G3 using
    >>Mk-linux booter and other tools that were used in this installation
    >>
    >>http://www.qednet.biz/About7100.html
    >>
    >>i placed the appropriate files in their respective folders in the
    >>Apple System folder, and when i restart, the dual-boot screen pops
    >>up....BUT when i select linux, an installation begins but always
    >>hangs-up on this line....
    >>

    >>Copying boot infos parameters....done
    >>Will enter kernel after relocating ourselves to 0x004f00 (size =
    >>000600)
    >>Restarting at 0x004f10c

    Sorry, I guess I had never tried it on anything under 8.6.
    kk

  15. Re: Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems

    bluesbravo@gmail.com wrote:
    > ty for the links.....i found another way to get this g3 running, and
    > please for give the multi-posts, but this new installation file seems
    > much easier....
    > I have finally had some success with installing debian on my G3 using
    > Mk-linux booter and other tools that were used in this installation
    >
    > http://www.qednet.biz/About7100.html
    >
    > i placed the appropriate files in their respective folders in the
    > Apple System folder, and when i restart, the dual-boot screen pops
    > up....BUT when i select linux, an installation begins but always
    > hangs-up on this line....
    >

    > Copying boot infos parameters....done
    > Will enter kernel after relocating ourselves to 0x004f00 (size =
    > 000600)
    > Restarting at 0x004f10c

    Went to that site. Tried to download the files. It wanted a password
    to access. I read most of the rest of the site and no mention of
    passwords at all. Any suggestions?
    kk

  16. Re: Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems

    I didnt have any problems downloading them to my computer running XP,
    which i have been using to download various files for this
    installation...i could send you the files directly if you'd like to
    try to work with them....i have noticed that if i change the lilo.con
    file in the Mac OS preferences folder, i get different errors...

    http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/oldkernels.html

    this link describes the changes i made to the lilo file. changing the
    boot device to dev\ram never got past the dual boot selection screen;
    a "system booting" message appears, but then it hangs...ANY IDEAS?

  17. Re: Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems

    You can't use MkLinux unless you have a Nubus Powermac. It is a Mach
    kernel with some kind of LInux-userland system call hack. I used it on
    a Performa, I liked it, but the Performa died.

    Chicken or egg problems are the brain death of working with old Macs.
    Have you ever tried to get ethernet working on a System 7 68k so you can
    download stuffit etcetera? Argh.
    > http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/oldkernels.html

    This will never work on your PCI Mac.

    Can't you decompress the file you need on another box? Or ask one of us
    to do it.

    Is there an intermediate version of Stuffit you can download, newer than
    4 but not the newest?

    Good luck.

    Linc

    blues wrote:
    > I didnt have any problems downloading them to my computer running XP,
    > which i have been using to download various files for this
    > installation...i could send you the files directly if you'd like to
    > try to work with them....i have noticed that if i change the lilo.con
    > file in the Mac OS preferences folder, i get different errors...
    >

    > http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/oldkernels.html
    >
    > this link describes the changes i made to the lilo file. changing the
    > boot device to dev\ram never got past the dual boot selection screen;
    > a "system booting" message appears, but then it hangs...ANY IDEAS?

  18. Re: Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems

    lincr wrote:
    > You can't use MkLinux unless you have a Nubus Powermac. It is a Mach
    > kernel with some kind of LInux-userland system call hack. I used it on
    > a Performa, I liked it, but the Performa died.
    >
    > Chicken or egg problems are the brain death of working with old Macs.
    > Have you ever tried to get ethernet working on a System 7 68k so you can
    > download stuffit etcetera? Argh.
    > > http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/oldkernels.html
    > >

    > This will never work on your PCI Mac.
    >
    > Can't you decompress the file you need on another box? Or ask one of us
    > to do it.
    >
    > Is there an intermediate version of Stuffit you can download, newer than
    > 4 but not the newest?
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > Linc
    >
    > blues wrote:
    >
    >> I didnt have any problems downloading them to my computer running XP,
    >> which i have been using to download various files for this
    >> installation...i could send you the files directly if you'd like to
    >> try to work with them....i have noticed that if i change the lilo.con
    >> file in the Mac OS preferences folder, i get different errors...
    >>

    >> http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/oldkernels.html
    >>
    >> this link describes the changes i made to the lilo file. changing the
    >> boot device to dev\ram never got past the dual boot selection screen;
    >> a "system booting" message appears, but then it hangs...ANY IDEAS?

    I have a copy of Stuffit Lite 6.5 and Expander 5.5 you can have. 6.5 is
    around 6 mb, SEA file, and 5.5 is 1.2 mb. Should fit through email.
    Not sure what OS it works with though. Let me know if you want either
    or both.
    kk

  19. Re: Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems

    thank you very much...i would love to have a newer version of
    stuffit...my email is bluesbravo@gmail.com

  20. Re: Please Help!! OldWorld G3 problems

    bluesbravo@gmail.com wrote:
    > thank you very much...i would love to have a newer version of
    > stuffit...my email is bluesbravo@gmail.com

    I sent you stuffit 6.01 this morning (Friday). It will come from my
    Yahoo email. Let me know if you have not received it in a day or so.
    kk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast