OpenPower information for IBM machines - Powerpc

This is a discussion on OpenPower information for IBM machines - Powerpc ; Hi, I am looking for more information on the IBM OpenPower machines that use the powerpc processor called a POWER5. These only run Linux but I think its only Redhat and suse. they also do logical partitions like the AIX ...

  1. OpenPower information for IBM machines

    Hi,
    I am looking for more information on the IBM OpenPower machines that
    use the powerpc processor called a POWER5. These only run Linux but I
    think its only Redhat and suse. they also do logical partitions like
    the AIX machines

    Is this the right place to ask question? sorry it its not, but this
    group seems to be the closest I could find.

    In particular how you do you get dynamic partition working? my suse
    lpar just ignores change requests. I cant find out any information of
    this, anywhere - not even www.ibm.com !!!

    Thanks Adam

  2. Re: OpenPower information for IBM machines

    nigelargriffiths@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am looking for more information on the IBM OpenPower machines that
    > use the powerpc processor called a POWER5. These only run Linux but I
    > think its only Redhat and suse. they also do logical partitions like
    > the AIX machines
    >
    > Is this the right place to ask question? sorry it its not, but this
    > group seems to be the closest I could find.
    >
    > In particular how you do you get dynamic partition working? my suse
    > lpar just ignores change requests. I cant find out any information of
    > this, anywhere - not even www.ibm.com !!!
    >
    > Thanks Adam

    What part of the LPAR definition are you trying to change dynamically?

    Bill B

  3. Re: OpenPower information for IBM machines

    re: dynamic LPAR support for chaning the number of "CPUs on the fly"
    I found out there are extra RPMs to get Dynamics LPAR (DLPAR !!) working.

    These are in addition to the SuSE SLES 9 on the CDROMs.

    They can be downloaded from
    http://techsupport.services.ibm.com/server/lopdiags

    A very well hidden website dynamic lpar support on the diagnostics web page.
    There is also other RPMs for making use of the POWER hardware reliability
    features.

    thanks N

+ Reply to Thread