MVME5500 Linux API for VME Interrupts - Powerpc

This is a discussion on MVME5500 Linux API for VME Interrupts - Powerpc ; Hello, At the application(user-level), is there a way of connecting a user-defined C-function to a VME hardware interrupt under Linux? Using a MVME5500 running Timesys Linux. I think that under VxWorks, there was a API call intConnect(irq,fucntion pointer) that could ...

  1. MVME5500 Linux API for VME Interrupts

    Hello,

    At the application(user-level), is there a way of connecting a
    user-defined C-function to a VME hardware interrupt under Linux?
    Using a MVME5500 running Timesys Linux. I think that under VxWorks,
    there was a API call intConnect(irq,fucntion pointer) that could called
    from an application. Does Linux provide similar mechanism?

    Looked at linux driver (vmeUniverse) source code files universe.c and
    vme.c. The driver includes VME interrupt handler function that is
    registered with kernel when driver is loaded and called for VME
    interrupts. This driver handler function contains a EXPORT_SYMBOL
    function pointer variable g_univVMEIntrHand which is called if
    non-null.This function pointer is inialized to NULL.
    Thought this function pointer could be referenced by user-level
    application and if so could assign it address of my isr routine
    Unable to compile my application when referencing this variable.

    Thanks!
    Mike

  2. Re: MVME5500 Linux API for VME Interrupts

    I think you need to use the fasync method in the driver to generate signals
    to a userspace app. (search for linux asynchronous notification and you
    should get some useful links -- otherwise buy "linux device drivers" 3rd
    ed, by Corbert, Rubini, and Kroah-Hartman).

    I've got a recent version of Gabriel Paubert's VME driver for 2.6 kernels,
    which has a nice architecture to it. What version of the kernel are you
    using?

+ Reply to Thread