Mandrake on 7500 stuck on "Linux 2.4.21pre4-10mdkBOOT" screen - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Mandrake on 7500 stuck on "Linux 2.4.21pre4-10mdkBOOT" screen - Powerpc ; Hi, I'm trying to install Mandrake 9.1 PPC on a 7500 (has g3 upgrade, PCI ATI Nexus 32MB card, 248MB ram and a USB PCI card, there are 2 SCSI HDDs one with mac os 9.1 on it and other ...

  1. Mandrake on 7500 stuck on "Linux 2.4.21pre4-10mdkBOOT" screen

    Hi, I'm trying to install Mandrake 9.1 PPC on a 7500 (has g3 upgrade, PCI ATI Nexus 32MB
    card, 248MB ram and a USB PCI card, there are 2 SCSI HDDs one with mac os 9.1 on it and
    other with a tini mac partition on it followed by several GBs of "unallocated" space)

    I set up the Boot X app as per instructions, hit 'Linux' and get a screen that starts with "Linux
    2.4.21pre4-10mdkBOOT" followed by the Mandrake logo and then a load of config type info.
    And then.....

    ....nothing. It just seems to have froze there with nothing happening.

    The last line says "usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1", maybe that is
    what it is freezing on and I should remove the PCI USB card ?

    All the other info it is printing on the screen seems fairly in order to me apart from line near
    the top which says:
    "PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 01:0d.0"

    I have tried using various boot arguments/options, specifying different video drivers etc, and
    force SCSI on and manually picking the all.gz for the RAM disc etc etc etc but it keeps
    freezing on this "Linux 2.4.21pre4-10mdkBOOT" screen.

    Anyone have any ideas ?

    thanks a lot

  2. Re: Mandrake on 7500 stuck on "Linux 2.4.21pre4-10mdkBOOT" screen

    alright, well i pulled out the USB card and now I can get beyond that screen....guess it didn't
    like that too much, funny enough Mac OS wasn't too fond of it either ....

    now it's saying it can't find CD ROM drive and I need to pick a driver..

  3. Re: Mandrake on 7500 stuck on "Linux 2.4.21pre4-10mdkBOOT" screen

    ok, bit of searching and found out correct driver is mesh.0, cool,

    now the new problem is mangled up video:

    first a yukky pink color and squashed to the left side of the screen (with no boot argument
    about video specified)

    then I put in video=aty128fb and now it is blue and 'crunchy' and more messed up looking
    and near illegible and looks like it is too big to fit in the screen...

    lol..who said installing Linux on an old world mac was easy...

+ Reply to Thread