Newbie alert: help installing on iBook 466 SE - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Newbie alert: help installing on iBook 466 SE - Powerpc ; Hi. I've looked, but couldn't find the info: Trying to install Mandrake on a graphite iBook SE 466/10gig with ATI rage mobility card. Have tried both 9.1 and 10.1 cooker. problems: 1- the install screen resolution is set at 640x480 ...

  1. Newbie alert: help installing on iBook 466 SE

    Hi.

    I've looked, but couldn't find the info:

    Trying to install Mandrake on a graphite iBook SE 466/10gig with ATI rage
    mobility card. Have tried both 9.1 and 10.1 cooker.

    problems:

    1- the install screen resolution is set at 640x480 where as I believe
    Mandrake needs 800x600 for both text and gui installs (did both). I have
    tried this: r128 based machines - try install-gui gui-old video=atyfb128
    but that doesn't seem to help.

    Have found people/posts with similar problems, but no solutions.

    2- I almost had a text install of 9.1 working, but upon reboot, an error
    said I had not set up X (and wouldn't boot). I must have missed the part
    where I set up X.

    Where do I set up X?

    I am not against changing distros if you guys think that is best, but
    will I avoid the 640x480 curse with a different distro? I am confident I
    could install if I could see all the screen information.

    TIA

    WC

  2. Re: Newbie alert: help installing on iBook 466 SE

    Answered my own question:

    zap the PRAM.

    WC

+ Reply to Thread