lost yaboot, open firmware fix? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on lost yaboot, open firmware fix? - Powerpc ; I got Ubuntu successfully loaded on my Powerbook, and then I had some unrelated issues with OSX. During the course of straightening that out, I zapped the PRAM, and now yaboot doesn't come up at startup. And the option key ...

  1. lost yaboot, open firmware fix?

    I got Ubuntu successfully loaded on my Powerbook, and then I had some
    unrelated issues with OSX. During the course of straightening that out,
    I zapped the PRAM, and now yaboot doesn't come up at startup. And the
    option key doesn't present me with any options, even though I have two
    instances of OSX on separate partitions on the drive, as well as Ubuntu.
    ISTR that it worked fine when I had OSX and OS9 on it, but it don't work
    now. So, I'm guessing I need to do some messing around in Open Firmware
    to get yaboot working again, which frankly, makes me a little nervous,
    so any feedback appreciated.

    The Ubuntu partition manager says my partition table looks like this:

    1 32.2kb Apple
    2 8.9MB HFS+ external boot
    3 10.0GB Apple_UFS (OS10.3.4)
    134.2MB Free space
    5 9.9GB HFS+ Apple (OS10.3.5, current default boot partition)
    6 8.9MB HFS+ external boot
    7 1.0MB boot untitled
    8 9.4GB ext3 untitled
    9 442.2MB swap

    From what I've gathered, I should type the following in Open Firmware:

    setenv boot-device hd:7,\\yaboot boot

    Comments?

    --
    Fudo
    DAM, IJAL

  2. Re: lost yaboot, open firmware fix?

  3. Re: lost yaboot, open firmware fix?

    In article ,
    Keith Keller wrote:

    > > setenv boot-device hd:7,\\yaboot boot

    > If you want to test that this is correct before saving it to OF, do
    >
    > boot hd:7,\\yaboot
    >
    > (I'm not clear on what that last ''boot'' is supposed to do.) That'll
    > try to boot a yaboot in the root of hd:7.

    If I understand it correctly, it'll set hd7 as the default boot
    partition. But, I'm just guessin'.

    --
    Fudo
    DAM, IJAL