update: DVD play back on G3 iBook - Powerpc

This is a discussion on update: DVD play back on G3 iBook - Powerpc ; Good news on the DVD play back issues I was having with my iBook running Ubuntu Linux v4.10. First I have to type: hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb this turns on UDMA2 for my DVD-ROM Where would I put this command so ...

  1. update: DVD play back on G3 iBook

    Good news on the DVD play back issues I was having with my iBook running
    Ubuntu Linux v4.10.

    First I have to type: hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb
    this turns on UDMA2 for my DVD-ROM
    Where would I put this command so it is done automatically at boot up?

    I installed xine-ui instead of totem-xine and now DVDs play smoothly without
    dropping frames. gxine also worked but there is a bug in full screen mode
    that crashes gxine when you switch to full screen. xine-ui doesn't have
    this problem.

    Ok only one more problem to go! =)

    I'm getting a 'popping/clicking' sound when the DVD plays loud sounds. The
    popping occurs over the iBook's speakers and via headphones. I tried
    adjusting the volume but even at low volume I hear audible popping. It
    seems like the audio is clipping. It happens at all volume levels. gxine
    and xine-ui both have this problem. I'm using the ALSA sound modules that
    (I think) emulates OSS?

    There is one weird problem that is also audio related but tolerable:

    The audio during DVD play back is synced with video but the audio seems play
    at a lower frequency. All audio is deeper sounding that it should be. CD
    audio sounds fine.

    Thanks for any help or suggestions!

  2. Re: update: DVD play back on G3 iBook

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:17:04 +0000, "Jon Cortelyou"
    wrote in
    :

    > First I have to type: hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb
    > this turns on UDMA2 for my DVD-ROM
    > Where would I put this command so it is done automatically at boot up?

    Create a small script like this:

    --begin--
    #!/bin/sh
    hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb
    --end--

    And save it in /etc/init.d
    After that, create symlinks to /etc/rc{1,2,3,4,5}.d/

    --
    Kind regards, | Jabber : michel@jabber.xs4all.nl (MSN/ICQ in headers)
    | Website: http://michel.klijmij.net/
    | GPG key: 0x8A43CF30
    Michel Klijmij | E-mail : michel@klijmij.net

  3. Re: update: DVD play back on G3 iBook

    Hi Michel,

    Cool thanks.

    "Michel Klijmij" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.10.31.16.34.38.59636@imac.klijmij.net...
    > On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:17:04 +0000, "Jon Cortelyou"
    > wrote in
    > :
    >
    >> First I have to type: hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb
    >> this turns on UDMA2 for my DVD-ROM
    >> Where would I put this command so it is done automatically at boot up?

    > Create a small script like this:
    >
    > --begin--
    > #!/bin/sh
    > hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb
    > --end--
    >
    > And save it in /etc/init.d
    > After that, create symlinks to /etc/rc{1,2,3,4,5}.d/
    >
    > --
    > Kind regards, | Jabber : michel@jabber.xs4all.nl (MSN/ICQ in headers)
    > | Website: http://michel.klijmij.net/
    > | GPG key: 0x8A43CF30
    > Michel Klijmij | E-mail : michel@klijmij.net

  4. Re: update: DVD play back on G3 iBook

    Michel Klijmij writes:
    > On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:17:04 +0000, "Jon Cortelyou"
    > wrote in
    > :
    >
    > > First I have to type: hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb
    > > this turns on UDMA2 for my DVD-ROM
    > > Where would I put this command so it is done automatically at boot up?

    > Create a small script like this:
    >
    > --begin--
    > #!/bin/sh
    > hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb
    > --end--
    >
    > And save it in /etc/init.d
    > After that, create symlinks to /etc/rc{1,2,3,4,5}.d/

    Since Ubuntu is Debian-based I expect the right way is to add an entry
    like the following to /etc/hdparm.conf:

    /dev/hdb {
    dma = on
    }

    I'd also consider trying io32_support=1 and interrupt_unmask = on.

    Thomas Jahns
    --
    "Computers are good at following instructions,
    but not at reading your mind."

  5. Re: update: DVD play back on G3 iBook

    I tried adding the following to hdparm.conf

    /dev/hdb {
    dma = on
    io32_support = 1
    interrupt_unmask = on
    }

    but dma was 'off' when the machine boots up and I check with: hdparm
    /dev/hdb

    I tried dma=on without the other parm's but no luck with that either.

    "Thomas Jahns" wrote in message
    > Michel Klijmij writes:
    >> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:17:04 +0000, "Jon Cortelyou"
    >> wrote in
    >> :
    >>
    >> > First I have to type: hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb
    >> > this turns on UDMA2 for my DVD-ROM
    >> > Where would I put this command so it is done automatically at boot up?

    >> Create a small script like this:
    >>
    >> --begin--
    >> #!/bin/sh
    >> hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb
    >> --end--
    >>
    >> And save it in /etc/init.d
    >> After that, create symlinks to /etc/rc{1,2,3,4,5}.d/

    > Since Ubuntu is Debian-based I expect the right way is to add an entry
    > like the following to /etc/hdparm.conf:
    >
    > /dev/hdb {
    > dma = on
    > }
    >
    > I'd also consider trying io32_support=1 and interrupt_unmask = on.
    >
    > Thomas Jahns
    > --
    > "Computers are good at following instructions,
    > but not at reading your mind."
    > D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9

  6. Re: update: DVD play back on G3 iBook

    On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 07:06:54 GMT,
    Jon Cortelyou , in
    wrote:
    >+ I tried adding the following to hdparm.conf
    >+
    >+ /dev/hdb {
    >+ dma = on
    >+ io32_support = 1
    >+ interrupt_unmask = on
    >+ }
    >+
    >+ but dma was 'off' when the machine boots up and I check with: hdparm
    >+ /dev/hdb

    Try this:

    find /etc -name "S*hdparm" -print

    Do you have a hit in /etc/rcS.d/?

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  7. Re: update: DVD play back on G3 iBook

    Hi Thomas,

    Cool. I'll make those changes and see if they'll work. Any chance those
    changes will render my machine unbootable?

    Thanks,
    Jon

    "Thomas Jahns" wrote in message
    > Michel Klijmij writes:
    > > On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:17:04 +0000, "Jon Cortelyou"
    > > wrote in
    > > :
    > >
    > > > First I have to type: hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb
    > > > this turns on UDMA2 for my DVD-ROM
    > > > Where would I put this command so it is done automatically at boot up?

    > > Create a small script like this:
    > >
    > > --begin--
    > > #!/bin/sh
    > > hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb
    > > --end--
    > >
    > > And save it in /etc/init.d
    > > After that, create symlinks to /etc/rc{1,2,3,4,5}.d/

    > Since Ubuntu is Debian-based I expect the right way is to add an entry
    > like the following to /etc/hdparm.conf:
    >
    > /dev/hdb {
    > dma = on
    > }
    >
    > I'd also consider trying io32_support=1 and interrupt_unmask = on.
    >
    > Thomas Jahns
    > --
    > "Computers are good at following instructions,
    > but not at reading your mind."
    > D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9

  8. Re: update: DVD play back on G3 iBook

    "Jon Cortelyou" writes:
    > I tried adding the following to hdparm.conf
    >
    > /dev/hdb {
    > dma = on
    > io32_support = 1
    > interrupt_unmask = on
    > }
    >
    > but dma was 'off' when the machine boots up and I check with: hdparm
    > /dev/hdb

    Did hdparm.conf exist before you edited it? In Debian /etc/hdparm.conf
    is part of the hdparm package. Perhaps you could check with

    dpkg -l hdparm

    if it's installed.

    Thomas Jahns
    --
    "Computers are good at following instructions,
    but not at reading your mind."
    D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9

  9. Re: update: DVD play back on G3 iBook

    "Jon Cortelyou" writes:
    > Hi Thomas,
    >
    > Cool. I'll make those changes and see if they'll work. Any chance those
    > changes will render my machine unbootable?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jon

    Not really unless the device in question does indeed have a flawed DMA
    implementation. But as you have already tested this, I can't see why it
    should leave your machine unbootable.

    Thomas Jahns
    --
    "Computers are good at following instructions,
    but not at reading your mind."
    D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9

+ Reply to Thread