Installing YDL or Debian without CDs - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Installing YDL or Debian without CDs - Powerpc ; Hello out there, I'm something of a linux newbie (I've been running Fedora on my desktop for several months, and I'm adjusting well) and I'm looking to get some version of linux running on my ibook G3 600mhz (128 megs ...

  1. Installing YDL or Debian without CDs

    Hello out there, I'm something of a linux newbie (I've been running
    Fedora on my desktop for several months, and I'm adjusting well) and
    I'm looking to get some version of linux running on my ibook G3 600mhz
    (128 megs RAM, 10 gigs)

    From other newbie posts, and peoples suggestions, it seems like
    Yellowdog is the way to go, but I'd also be interested in taking the
    plunge with a more "hardcore" distribution, provided there are clear
    tutorials for what I want to do with linux. From what I can tell,
    hardcore for the ppc means Debian, so I suppose that's what I'm asking
    about, unless people have other suggestions. I'm not looking to dual
    boot; I appreciate what mac is doing with OSX, it just isn't for me.

    It seems silly that I have to burn CDs to install software that's
    freely available on the internet when I have free space. Is there
    some way that I can use OS X 10.3 tools to open up a partition big
    enough to hold YDL / Debain install packages, download said packages,
    boot to that partition to install, and then use that partition as
    say... /home once I've installed linux?

    Also what hardware incompatibilities can I look forward to? I'd like
    to not lose my wireless, and I have a gen 3 ipod with a firewire
    connection, and it would be nice to access that (something I haven't
    been able to work out with Fedora on x86)

  2. Re: Installing YDL or Debian without CDs

    Ciao Carter, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

    > Is there
    > some way that I can use OS X 10.3 tools to open up a partition big
    > enough to hold YDL / Debain install packages, download said packages,
    > boot to that partition to install, and then use that partition as
    > say... /home once I've installed linux?

    You have clearly no idea on how Debian install works
    Just download this:

    http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimag...pc-netinst.iso

    Which is a small netinst iso: you install that, and then via internet you
    will install everything else: apt-get power!

    Pop the cd in, partition your drive (easy since you don't want a dual
    boot), setup the ethernet connection and you are done.

    It will also come handy as rescuecd!

    More info can be found at http://tuxmobil.org.

    > Also what hardware incompatibilities can I look forward to? I'd like
    > to not lose my wireless, and I have a gen 3 ipod with a firewire
    > connection, and it would be nice to access that (something I haven't
    > been able to work out with Fedora on x86)

    Airport (not extreme) is well supported under Linux, as well as iPod (with
    gtkpod) and firewire.

    --
    Best Regards, Jack
    Linux User #264449