MDK9.1 deletes /dev/adbmouse on ibook2/ppc - Powerpc

This is a discussion on MDK9.1 deletes /dev/adbmouse on ibook2/ppc - Powerpc ; I'm running Mandrake 9.1 on an ibook2 (500Mhz). After running Mandrake Control Center's (mcc) mouse configuration tool to try to optimize the built in trackpad mouse, the mouse quit working; gpm quit immediately, X quit after X server restart. After ...

  1. MDK9.1 deletes /dev/adbmouse on ibook2/ppc

    I'm running Mandrake 9.1 on an ibook2 (500Mhz). After running Mandrake
    Control Center's (mcc) mouse configuration tool to try to optimize the
    built in trackpad mouse, the mouse quit working; gpm quit immediately, X
    quit after X server restart. After checking some files in /etc and
    /dev, I determined that the device file for my mouse, /dev/adbmouse had
    been deleted. (Also /dev/mouse is a broken link to /dev/adbmouse).

    After consulting /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt, I found that
    /dev/adbmouse is a character device with major,minor 10,10. I used mknod
    to make this file again. But after I restarted gpm and X (via
    "/etc/init.d/gpm|dm restart") the mouse would not work. After I reboot
    the system /dev/adbmouse is once again missing. This problem was first
    created after running mcc. I suspect that devfs/devfsd may not be
    opperating properly, but I am getting in over my head and don't know
    where to go next. If you need more information than is provided below
    please let me know.

    The contents of /etc/sysconfig/mouse is:
    MOUSETYPE=Busmouse
    XMOUSETYPE=BusMouse
    FULLNAME="busmouse|1 button"
    XEMU3=yes
    WHEEL=no
    device=adbmouse

    A few exerpts from dmesg let me know if I should post the unabriged
    dmesg.
    input0: Macintosh mouse button emulation
    adb: starting probe task...
    mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
    adb devices: [2]: 2 c3 [3]: 3 1 [7]: 7 1f
    ADB keyboard at 2, handler 1
    Detected ADB keyboard, type ANSI.
    input1: ADB HID on ID 2:2.c3
    input2: ADB HID on ID 7:7.1f
    ADB mouse at 3, handler set to 4 (trackpad)
    input3: ADB HID on ID 3:3.01
    adb: finished probe task...

    Thanks in advance
    Steve

  2. Re: MDK9.1 deletes /dev/adbmouse on ibook2/ppc

    SteveT wrote:

    > The contents of /etc/sysconfig/mouse is:
    > MOUSETYPE=Busmouse
    > XMOUSETYPE=BusMouse
    > FULLNAME="busmouse|1 button"
    > XEMU3=yes
    > WHEEL=no
    > device=adbmouse

    I've recently installed Mandrake 9.1 (GPL version) here on a stock
    standard beige G3 Gossamer (not the standard cdrom drive, the original
    drive suffered from a firmware bug) with an ADB keyboard and -mouse, and
    with the MDK installer suggested usb mouse device. Here are the contents
    of the /etc/sysconfig/mouse

    MOUSETYPE=ps/2
    XMOUSETYPE=IMPS/2
    FULLNAME="USB|1 button"
    XEMU3=yes
    WHEEL=no
    device=usbmouse

    Right and middle mouce buttons were set up to be F12 and F11 during the
    install. F12 works OK. Don't know about F11

    Cheers

    Axel

+ Reply to Thread