Updating firmware of Airport card under Linux - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Updating firmware of Airport card under Linux - Powerpc ; Hello NG, I am running a Ibook 2 Rev. 2 with an Airport card and I'd wonder if someone of you knows of a tool with which I can update the firmware of this Airport card under linux. Right now ...

  1. Updating firmware of Airport card under Linux

    Hello NG,

    I am running a Ibook 2 Rev. 2 with an Airport card and I'd wonder if
    someone of you knows of a tool with which I can update the firmware of
    this Airport card under linux.

    Right now the card has:

    eth1: Looks like a Lucent/Agere firmware version 4.16

    and I'd like to try version 7.x, as I read, that the Airport driver
    works best with firmware of these versions.

    I looked for tools on freshmeat.net and I google-grouped alot, but I
    couldn't find anything appropriate.

    Any pointers are thankfully appreciated.

    Holger

  2. Re: Updating firmware of Airport card under Linux

    I had the same problem a few months ago.

    The answer I found was that it was impossible to flash it (short of writing
    your own flashing program for Linux, obviously not easy.)

    The easiest way is to put it into another Mac with a MacOS and it will
    download and update the firmware automatically. Or take it to an Apple
    store, they'll probably do it for you for free.

    "Holger Kiskowski" wrote in message
    > Hello NG,
    >
    > I am running a Ibook 2 Rev. 2 with an Airport card and I'd wonder if
    > someone of you knows of a tool with which I can update the firmware of
    > this Airport card under linux.
    >
    > Right now the card has:
    >
    > eth1: Looks like a Lucent/Agere firmware version 4.16
    >
    > and I'd like to try version 7.x, as I read, that the Airport driver
    > works best with firmware of these versions.
    >
    > I looked for tools on freshmeat.net and I google-grouped alot, but I
    > couldn't find anything appropriate.
    >
    > Any pointers are thankfully appreciated.
    >
    > Holger

  3. Re: Updating firmware of Airport card under Linux

    On 29/10/04 7:58 am, in article
    3Slgd.36436$QJ3.8903@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com, "Jon Cortelyou"
    wrote:

    > I had the same problem a few months ago.
    >
    > The answer I found was that it was impossible to flash it (short of writing
    > your own flashing program for Linux, obviously not easy.)
    >
    > The easiest way is to put it into another Mac with a MacOS and it will
    > download and update the firmware automatically. Or take it to an Apple
    > store, they'll probably do it for you for free.
    >

    > "Holger Kiskowski" wrote in message
    >> Hello NG,
    >>
    >> I am running a Ibook 2 Rev. 2 with an Airport card and I'd wonder if
    >> someone of you knows of a tool with which I can update the firmware of
    >> this Airport card under linux.
    >>
    >> Right now the card has:
    >>
    >> eth1: Looks like a Lucent/Agere firmware version 4.16
    >>
    >> and I'd like to try version 7.x, as I read, that the Airport driver
    >> works best with firmware of these versions.
    >>
    >> I looked for tools on freshmeat.net and I google-grouped alot, but I
    >> couldn't find anything appropriate.
    >>
    >> Any pointers are thankfully appreciated.
    >>
    >> Holger

    I'm running my airport card with the latest 9.52 firmware, works perfectly
    on YDL. The last poster was right in that you will have to put it in a mac
    with OS/9/X to upgrade it though.
    Colin

  4. Re: Updating firmware of Airport card under Linux

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 20:48:03 +0000 (UTC), Colin Ward wrote:
    > I'm running my airport card with the latest 9.52 firmware, works
    > perfectly on YDL. The last poster was right in that you will have to
    > put it in a mac with OS/9/X to upgrade it though.

    Thanks for both your answers.

    Unfortunately, running Mac OS on this computer is not an option, so I
    think, I will just give the Apple store an visit during the next days.

    About the firmware version: I had another look on the prior post about
    7.x and I saw that the post is a bit dated.

    Just one question left: Did you encounter any problems with the
    powermanagement or when you put the iBook to sleep?

    I ask, because if I put my iBook to sleep while the card is configured
    and the device is up, it seems, the card isn't powered off, as the
    battery seems to loose less power without the loaded Airport driver. But
    certainly, this is only a problem with older firmwares? ...

    Holger

+ Reply to Thread