Networking problem on Powermac (YDL and Debian) - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Networking problem on Powermac (YDL and Debian) - Powerpc ; Hi all, I'm trying to set up a Linux system on my old powermac 7300 (with a Sonnet G3 processor upgrade). Tried YDL3 and Debian (after Thomas recommended this distro), but encounter a strange problem in networking. In both distros, ...

  1. Networking problem on Powermac (YDL and Debian)

    Hi all,
    I'm trying to set up a Linux system on my old powermac 7300 (with a
    Sonnet G3 processor upgrade). Tried YDL3 and Debian (after Thomas
    recommended this distro), but encounter a strange problem in networking.
    In both distros, I can set up networking easily, but it is extremely
    slow and has around 90% packet loss when I ping. This is the same for
    incoming and outgoing traffic (pinging the mac from an OsX iMac in the
    same local network, over a router/switch, and vice versa). Pinging the
    router/switch gave the same result from the Linux machine, but not from
    the OsX machine. In addition, running the powermac in MacOs9 instead of
    Linux, is perfectly ok, no packet loss, and speedy surfing. Thus, any
    hardware problem can be excluded.
    I use static IP adresses in my local network, no DHCP involved. Settings
    are identical on the Linux machine and in the TCP/IP control panel in
    MacOS9, static IP, mask and gateway set manually.

    Does this problem sound familiar to someone of you? What can I do to fix
    it? As I said, it occurs both in YDL and Debian.

    Frank

  2. [case closed]

    Thanks to a tip by Thomas Jahns I fixed it by buying a PCI ethernet card
    with realtek chip (for 5 bucks), which now works with the 8139too module
    on interface eth1 flawlessly.

    Frank

    Frank O. Fackelmayer wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I'm trying to set up a Linux system on my old powermac 7300 (with a
    > Sonnet G3 processor upgrade). Tried YDL3 and Debian (after Thomas
    > recommended this distro), but encounter a strange problem in networking.
    > In both distros, I can set up networking easily, but it is extremely
    > slow and has around 90% packet loss when I ping. This is the same for
    > incoming and outgoing traffic (pinging the mac from an OsX iMac in the
    > same local network, over a router/switch, and vice versa). Pinging the
    > router/switch gave the same result from the Linux machine, but not from
    > the OsX machine. In addition, running the powermac in MacOs9 instead of
    > Linux, is perfectly ok, no packet loss, and speedy surfing. Thus, any
    > hardware problem can be excluded.
    > I use static IP adresses in my local network, no DHCP involved. Settings
    > are identical on the Linux machine and in the TCP/IP control panel in
    > MacOS9, static IP, mask and gateway set manually.
    >
    > Does this problem sound familiar to someone of you? What can I do to fix
    > it? As I said, it occurs both in YDL and Debian.
    >
    > Frank

+ Reply to Thread