Ubuntu install failure - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Ubuntu install failure - Powerpc ; Just tried the Ubuntu release on a B&W G3, 300/320RAM/6gig Maxtor IDE. I just took defaults; when it reboots, I get the following: pivot-root: No such file or directory /sbin/init: cannot open dev/console: No such file Kernel panic: Attempted to ...

  1. Ubuntu install failure

    Just tried the Ubuntu release on a B&W G3, 300/320RAM/6gig Maxtor IDE. I
    just took defaults; when it reboots, I get the following:

    pivot-root: No such file or directory
    /sbin/init: cannot open dev/console: No such file
    Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init

    Tried a second time, messed around a little with the partition manager,
    same result. A guess as to the problem: a note in the partion manager
    help says something about not being able to write over a partition that
    already has a Linux file system; this box had YDL 3.0.1 on it already.
    But even though it says you can't do it, it just goes goes ahead and
    tries if you say yes. My next step is to wipe the disc with a Mac
    install cd, and try again, unless anyone has another suggestion.

    Meanwhile, successfully booted and into the second phase of install on a
    Lombard Powerbook...

    --
    Fudo
    DAM, IJAL

  2. Re: Ubuntu install failure

    I too had YDL 3.0.1 installed before I installed Ubuntu. The Ubuntu install
    disk partition manager forced me to reformat the old YDL swap space
    partition and the old YDL '/' partition. It appears that might be required
    even though you'd think file systems would be the same. Maybe it doesn't
    erase the old YDL files and just overwrites them. I could that causing all
    kinds of problems. But that's only a guess to what is happening to you.

    Regards,
    Jon

    "fudo" wrote in message
    > Just tried the Ubuntu release on a B&W G3, 300/320RAM/6gig Maxtor IDE. I
    > just took defaults; when it reboots, I get the following:
    >
    > pivot-root: No such file or directory
    > /sbin/init: cannot open dev/console: No such file
    > Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init
    >
    > Tried a second time, messed around a little with the partition manager,
    > same result. A guess as to the problem: a note in the partion manager
    > help says something about not being able to write over a partition that
    > already has a Linux file system; this box had YDL 3.0.1 on it already.
    > But even though it says you can't do it, it just goes goes ahead and
    > tries if you say yes. My next step is to wipe the disc with a Mac
    > install cd, and try again, unless anyone has another suggestion.
    >
    > Meanwhile, successfully booted and into the second phase of install on a
    > Lombard Powerbook...
    >
    > --
    > Fudo
    > DAM, IJAL

  3. Re: Ubuntu install failure

    fudo (fudo@spamblocked.invalid) wrote on Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:47:36 -0700:
    > Just tried the Ubuntu release on a B&W G3, 300/320RAM/6gig Maxtor IDE. I
    > just took defaults; when it reboots, I get the following:
    >
    > pivot-root: No such file or directory
    > /sbin/init: cannot open dev/console: No such file
    > Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init

    IIRC there are several people who reported something like this. Have you
    checked whether your install CD is okay with md5sum?

    It might also be worth searching http://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/

    --
    Vriendelijke groet, | E-mail: michel@klijmij.net
    | Web : http://michel.klijmij.net/
    | Jabber: michel@jabber.xs4all.nl
    Michel Klijmij | GPGkey: 0x8A43CF30

  4. Re: Ubuntu install failure

    In article ,
    Michel Klijmij wrote:

    > IIRC there are several people who reported something like this. Have you
    > checked whether your install CD is okay with md5sum?
    >
    > It might also be worth searching http://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/

    I haven't checked the install disk, but that's not the problem. As I
    said in my original post, installation on my Powerbook had already
    gotten past that point without a problem. There are others, as you say.
    who have had the same problem; I found mention of it on the Ubuntu
    mailing list. The issue seems to be a problem in Debian, not just
    Ubuntu, but the discussion and proposed fixes were far too echnical for
    me to follow. So I'm stuck on that B&W for now, it seems.

    --
    Fudo
    DAM, IJAL

+ Reply to Thread