Which Linux for a 'Fruity' G3 iMac? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Which Linux for a 'Fruity' G3 iMac? - Powerpc ; I'm retiring my G3 iMac (333Mhz, 6GB, model aka Rev. D or 1999 fruity-colored iMac). I want to get hold of a Linux distribution to install on it, but I can't find any websites which specifically recommend a certain distribution ...

  1. Which Linux for a 'Fruity' G3 iMac?

    I'm retiring my G3 iMac (333Mhz, 6GB, model aka Rev. D or 1999
    fruity-colored iMac).

    I want to get hold of a Linux distribution to install on it, but I
    can't find any websites which specifically recommend a certain
    distribution for a certain model iMac.

    Which is going to install/work best? It doesn't need to be terribly up
    to date and I'm not going to be running a server or anything.

    Any ideas, information, recommendations gratefully accepted.

  2. Re: Which Linux for a 'Fruity' G3 iMac?

    hosti1e17@yahoo.com (Hostile17) writes:

    > I'm retiring my G3 iMac (333Mhz, 6GB, model aka Rev. D or 1999
    > fruity-colored iMac).
    >
    > I want to get hold of a Linux distribution to install on it, but I
    > can't find any websites which specifically recommend a certain
    > distribution for a certain model iMac.
    >
    > Which is going to install/work best? It doesn't need to be terribly up
    > to date and I'm not going to be running a server or anything.
    >
    > Any ideas, information, recommendations gratefully accepted.

    I'd try gentoo linux.

    Voting Democrat or Republican is like choosing a cabin in the Titanic.

  3. Re: Which Linux for a 'Fruity' G3 iMac?

    Hostile17 schrieb:
    > I'm retiring my G3 iMac (333Mhz, 6GB, model aka Rev. D or 1999
    > fruity-colored iMac).
    >
    > I want to get hold of a Linux distribution to install on it, but I
    > can't find any websites which specifically recommend a certain
    > distribution for a certain model iMac.
    >
    > Which is going to install/work best? It doesn't need to be terribly up
    > to date and I'm not going to be running a server or anything.
    >
    > Any ideas, information, recommendations gratefully accepted.

    On my tangerine iBook Rev. A (G3, 300 MHz), I installed Mandrake 9.1 and
    I am very satisfied with it. It is reasonably fast and more or less up
    to date.

    Alf

  4. Re: Which Linux for a 'Fruity' G3 iMac?

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 06:40:14 -0700, hosti1e17@yahoo.com (Hostile17) wrote
    in :

    > I want to get hold of a Linux distribution to install on it, but I
    > can't find any websites which specifically recommend a certain
    > distribution for a certain model iMac.
    >
    > Which is going to install/work best? It doesn't need to be terribly up
    > to date and I'm not going to be running a server or anything.

    Looks like a NewWorld type, so most modern PPC distributions should work
    fine. There is some choice:
    - Yellow Dog Linux, only has a PPC edition, the 4.0 edition is fairly
    recent and based on Fedora. Easy install.
    - Gentoo. Has a PPC edition. More for the advanced user. Claims to be
    completely optimalised because everything is compiled on your machine,
    but this does mean you're installing for several days.
    - Mandrake, used to have a supported PPC edition but stopped at 9.1 .
    Several volunteers are now maintaining a beta 10.1 for PPC. Various
    reports of working and not working stuff.
    - Debian. Supports many platforms including PPC. Should be fine once
    running but installation is apparently quite hard, and X (graphical)
    configuration has to be done by hand.
    - Ubuntu Linux is based on Debian but adds easier installation. Their goal
    is to make it easy for the user. X is configured automatically. Does not
    ship KDE, only Gnome 2.8. It's a pre-release but final release expected
    to happen in a few weeks.

    I'm currently using Ubuntu (Warty prerelease), and it's great. There are
    some minor issues in installation which should have been solved in recent
    installation CD builds. It is compatible with Debian packages which means
    there are more than 10.000 packages which can be installed with a
    mouse-click. You get all the advantages of Debian without the
    disadvantages such as difficulty with installing/configuring.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Michel Klijmij
    ICQ/MSN in headers http://michel.klijmij.net/

  5. Re: Which Linux for a 'Fruity' G3 iMac?

    Michel Klijmij wrote:[list of distros snipped]

    to which one might add CRUX/PPC, a very bare-bones distro, great if your a
    slackware fan, and Rock Linux, which i've never used. then there is
    slackintosh, a slackware port to PPC, but that's not being maintained
    anymore.

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  6. Re: Which Linux for a 'Fruity' G3 iMac?

    Thank you all for your help.

    I think I'll download a couple of different distros and experiment...

  7. Re: Which Linux for a 'Fruity' G3 iMac?

    Hostile17 wrote:
    > I'm retiring my G3 iMac (333Mhz, 6GB, model aka Rev. D or 1999
    > fruity-colored iMac).
    >
    > I want to get hold of a Linux distribution to install on it
    >
    > Which is going to install/work best?

    I put Yellow Dog Linux on my old iMac (it's a "DV SE": 400Mhz,
    128MB, 13GB). The install was easy, and it works fine.

    Duke

+ Reply to Thread