YDL 3.0.1 on iMac rev. A - Powerpc

This is a discussion on YDL 3.0.1 on iMac rev. A - Powerpc ; How much RAM should I install on this baby to make it serve as a personal IMAP and web server? With 96 MB, it's swapping all the time. mij -- Med velig hilsen/Kind regards Michael Jack, Copenhagen, Denmark...

  1. YDL 3.0.1 on iMac rev. A

    --
    Med velig hilsen/Kind regards
    Michael Jack, Copenhagen, Denmark

  2. Re: YDL 3.0.1 on iMac rev. A

    Michael Jack writes:

    > How much RAM should I install on this baby to make it serve as a
    > personal IMAP and web server?

    I have been told by that
    256 megabytes is possible with that hardware, 384 or 512 megabytes if
    you are lucky.

    > With 96 MB, it's swapping all the time.

    To me it seems you should first think about configuring software
    instead of adding RAM. Since you want to use it as IMAP and HTTP
    server, it does not need to run X11 server. If you want to run local
    X11 server for service monitoring purposes, use some light-weight
    window manager (or no window manager at all). Turn off services that
    are not needed. Build latest Linux 2.4 kernel that only contains
    drivers needed for current hardware devices.

    Look at "ps aux" output to figure out which processes use lots of
    "%MEM". Decide if they are important to keep running. 96 megabytes
    of RAM should be plenty for personal server.

    --
    "pienena / Paavo "Rainbow Rat" Hartikainen
    minusta / E-mail: pahartik@sci.fi

+ Reply to Thread