Need help with Yaboot on Imac - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Need help with Yaboot on Imac - Powerpc ; I am new to Macs but familiar with Linux. I recently installed Mandrake 9.1 on my Imac (Rev D, 333mhz). My main partitions are: hd6 OS X, hd7 OS 9.2, hd8 Yaboot, hd9 Linux. When I turn the computer on, ...

  1. Need help with Yaboot on Imac

    I am new to Macs but familiar with Linux. I recently installed
    Mandrake 9.1 on my Imac (Rev D, 333mhz). My main partitions are: hd6
    OS X, hd7 OS 9.2, hd8 Yaboot, hd9 Linux.

    When I turn the computer on, Yaboot does not load, it just hangs. I
    went to OpenFirmware, and I tried the following:

    setenv boot-device hd:8,\\:tbxi
    setenv boot-device hd:8,\\yaboot

    and also

    boot hd:8,\\:tbxi
    boot hd:8,\\yaboot

    None worked. With setenv a reboot does not boot YaBoot. With the boot
    command the cursor would move over one character and then it hangs
    there.

    I can boot into OS X with boot hd:6,\\:tbxi

    Can anyone offer any help? I have read that the YaBoot partition
    should ideally be the second partition, but it should still boot,
    right?

  2. Re: Need help with Yaboot on Imac

    atari24 wrote:
    > I am new to Macs but familiar with Linux. I recently installed
    > Mandrake 9.1 on my Imac (Rev D, 333mhz). My main partitions are: hd6
    > OS X, hd7 OS 9.2, hd8 Yaboot, hd9 Linux.
    >
    > When I turn the computer on, Yaboot does not load, it just hangs. I
    > went to OpenFirmware, and I tried the following:
    >
    > setenv boot-device hd:8,\\:tbxi
    > setenv boot-device hd:8,\\yaboot
    >
    > and also
    >
    > boot hd:8,\\:tbxi
    > boot hd:8,\\yaboot

    boot hd:8,yaboot

    That's the syntax I've used, and it has worked for me.

    To get yaboot to load automatically, you have to configure your
    yaboot.conf file (see 'man yaboot.conf') and then run ybin (see 'man
    ybin'). (These both have to be done once you've made it into Linux.)

  3. Re: Need help with Yaboot on Imac

    "David B. Nagle" wrote in message news:...
    > atari24 wrote:
    > > I am new to Macs but familiar with Linux. I recently installed
    > > Mandrake 9.1 on my Imac (Rev D, 333mhz). My main partitions are: hd6
    > > OS X, hd7 OS 9.2, hd8 Yaboot, hd9 Linux.
    > >
    > > When I turn the computer on, Yaboot does not load, it just hangs. I
    > > went to OpenFirmware, and I tried the following:
    > >
    > > setenv boot-device hd:8,\\:tbxi
    > > setenv boot-device hd:8,\\yaboot
    > >
    > > and also
    > >
    > > boot hd:8,\\:tbxi
    > > boot hd:8,\\yaboot

    > boot hd:8,yaboot
    >
    > That's the syntax I've used, and it has worked for me.
    >
    > To get yaboot to load automatically, you have to configure your
    > yaboot.conf file (see 'man yaboot.conf') and then run ybin (see 'man
    > ybin'). (These both have to be done once you've made it into Linux.)

    I tried boot hd:8,yaboot but that didn't work. It just seems to freeze
    at OF prompt. I also tried mac-boot but it would give a default catch
    error.

    Could my problem be related to where everything is installed on the
    HD? When I install OS X I have to make sure it is physically inside
    the first 8 GB of the drive ( iMac Revision D). Is this the same for
    Linux? If so, how can I run both Linux and OS X?

    Will

  4. Re: Need help with Yaboot on Imac

    In article ,
    atari24@netzero.net (atari24) writes:
    > When I turn the computer on, Yaboot does not load, it just hangs. I
    > went to OpenFirmware, and I tried the following:
    >
    > setenv boot-device hd:8,\\:tbxi
    > setenv boot-device hd:8,\\yaboot
    >
    > and also
    >
    > boot hd:8,\\:tbxi
    > boot hd:8,\\yaboot
    >
    > None worked. With setenv a reboot does not boot YaBoot. With the boot
    > command the cursor would move over one character and then it hangs
    > there.
    >
    > I can boot into OS X with boot hd:6,\\:tbxi
    >
    > Can anyone offer any help? I have read that the YaBoot partition
    > should ideally be the second partition, but it should still boot,
    > right?

    Assuming you can boot Linux from a CD, you might try mounting the yaboot
    partition under linux and looking at things. I believe it's a HFS (no +)
    partition, so Linux has good support for it (I bet Mandrake is set up to
    handle it automatically)

  5. Re: Need help with Yaboot on Imac

    atari24 wrote:
    > "David B. Nagle" wrote in message news:

    >> boot hd:8,yaboot
    >>
    >> That's the syntax I've used, and it has worked for me.
    >>
    >> To get yaboot to load automatically, you have to configure your
    >> yaboot.conf file (see 'man yaboot.conf') and then run ybin (see 'man
    >> ybin'). (These both have to be done once you've made it into Linux.)

    > I tried boot hd:8,yaboot but that didn't work. It just seems to freeze
    > at OF prompt. I also tried mac-boot but it would give a default catch
    > error.

    I'm by no means an expert at this stuff... but you could try resetting
    the NVRAM and then rebooting. Cmd-Opt-P-R will reset the NVRAM if you
    hold them down while booting (wait for the startup chime to go off a few
    times).

    See:
    http://penguinppc.org/projects/yaboo....en.shtml#s9.1

    You might browse around their docs a bit if that doesn't work, or if you
    want to, read and see if something else might work before trying that.

    Based on what you've described and what that page says about resetting
    the NVRAM, you'll probably end up booting into Mac OS like you did
    before you installed Mandrake if you try the NVRAM reset. This won't do
    you any good to get Linux running, but since you're freezing with yaboot
    when you start the computer and since you can't get mac-boot to work,
    this might at least let you back into Mac OS.

    > Could my problem be related to where everything is installed on the
    > HD? When I install OS X I have to make sure it is physically inside
    > the first 8 GB of the drive ( iMac Revision D). Is this the same for
    > Linux? If so, how can I run both Linux and OS X?

    Yuck, I have no idea. I don't think the yaboot partition is very big,
    maybe you an put it first and still have space to have the Mac OS X
    partition right after it, and still within the first 8 GB?

    Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread