Which Airport Card? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Which Airport Card? - Powerpc ; Any suggestions for a good Wi-Fi card, supported under linux 2.4 or 2.6, for an older G3 iMac (not Airport Extreme). It sounds like any pcmcia wifi card that the kernel supports should work, doesn't have to be Apple brand?...

  1. Which Airport Card?

    Any suggestions for a good Wi-Fi card, supported under linux 2.4 or
    2.6, for an older G3 iMac (not Airport Extreme). It sounds like any
    pcmcia wifi card that the kernel supports should work, doesn't have to
    be Apple brand?

  2. Re: Which Airport Card?

    On 21 Apr 2004 13:52:20 -0700,
    Guy Mac , in
    <44b2600a.0404211252.543e69dc@posting.google.com> wrote:

    >+ Any suggestions for a good Wi-Fi card, supported under linux 2.4 or
    >+ 2.6, for an older G3 iMac (not Airport Extreme).

    You mean an iBook, right? I don't recall the iMac's having pcmcia
    slots...[wakes up in an alternative universe where all computers have
    pcmcia cards]

    >+ It sounds like any pcmcia wifi card that the kernel supports should
    >+ work, doesn't have to be Apple brand?

    So far as I understand, that would be a true[*] statement.
    [*] Some cards have a binary component in their driver, and I am
    uncertain if that CPU dependent or not. If the driver is
    completely open, then yes it should work.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  3. Re: Which Airport Card?

    > You mean an iBook, right? I don't recall the iMac's having pcmcia
    > slots...[wakes up in an alternative universe where all computers have
    > pcmcia cards]

    It's a iMac DV Special Edition (Summer 2000), with a slot underneath
    that accepts the pcmcia Airport Card .....

  4. Re: Which Airport Card?

    On 23 Apr 2004 14:03:50 -0700,
    Guy Mac , in
    <44b2600a.0404231303.51a088fa@posting.google.com> wrote:
    >+ > You mean an iBook, right? I don't recall the iMac's having pcmcia
    >+ > slots...[wakes up in an alternative universe where all computers have
    >+ > pcmcia cards]
    >+ >
    >+ It's a iMac DV Special Edition (Summer 2000), with a slot underneath
    >+ that accepts the pcmcia Airport Card .....

    Great Caesar's Ghost! Actually, that's not a bad idea...

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  5. Re: Which Airport Card?

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:03:50 -0700, Guy Mac wrote:

    >> You mean an iBook, right? I don't recall the iMac's having pcmcia
    >> slots...[wakes up in an alternative universe where all computers have
    >> pcmcia cards]
    >>

    > It's a iMac DV Special Edition (Summer 2000), with a slot underneath
    > that accepts the pcmcia Airport Card .....

    Sorry, that's not a PCMCIA slot. It uses the same style of connector, but
    (a) its pinout is slightly modified from a standard PCMCIA slot, and (b)
    there's no way to use the slot as a plain PCMCIA slot anyway. It can only
    be used with an Apple Airport card. You can still acquire them (I bought
    one for my Powerbook Pismo from the local Apple Store - it was an
    opened-box unit, so I got it for $50). Of course, you're limited to
    802.11b networks only, but without a CardBus or PCI (or MiniPCI) slot,
    there's no way to use .11g anyway.

    --
    Derrik Pates
    dpates@dsdk12.net