iMac X help needed - Powerpc

This is a discussion on iMac X help needed - Powerpc ; Hello... I'm trying to get a linux distro installed on an iMac DV se 2000. The framebuffer display seems to extend beyond the viewable area of the monitor. It's worst horizontally, where about 4 columns are missing on the left ...

  1. iMac X help needed

    Hello... I'm trying to get a linux distro installed on an iMac DV se
    2000. The framebuffer display seems to extend beyond the viewable area
    of the monitor. It's worst horizontally, where about 4 columns are
    missing on the left (i.e. "Loading modules" appears as "ing modules".
    It uses a Rage 128 card.

    So far I've tried Yellow Dog 3.0.1 and Mandrake 9.1.

    YDL got the furthest along, X even worked (but suffered from the same
    display problem). X did not work in Mandrake. Now I am trying Gentoo,
    got past the kernel compile when the requirements of sleep
    interrupted. ;-)

    I suspect that YDL just used the framebuffer device, where Mandrake
    (after DrakConf) tried to use the Rage128 driver, but was unable to
    work for some reason ("V_BIOS" not found).

    Any pointers? I'd really like to be able to use the card fully (2D and
    3D acceleration).

  2. Re: iMac X help needed

    Guy Mac wrote:

    > Hello... I'm trying to get a linux distro installed on an iMac DV se

    ..../...

    > Any pointers? I'd really like to be able to use the card fully (2D and
    > 3D acceleration).

    http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/suppor...o_config.shtml

    http://www.google.com/search?q=XF86C...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

    HTH