Linux newbie: J2EE on Linux/PPC G3 300Mhz? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Linux newbie: J2EE on Linux/PPC G3 300Mhz? - Powerpc ; Hi All. I'm a developer who's previously primarily worked on the Windows/.Net-platform, but now wants to go deeper into Java and Linux. Beeing a Linux-newbie with a left-over 300Mhz PPC Mac, I've decided to try installing MDK 9.1 PPC to ...

  1. Linux newbie: J2EE on Linux/PPC G3 300Mhz?

    Hi All.

    I'm a developer who's previously primarily worked on the
    Windows/.Net-platform, but now wants to go deeper into Java and Linux.

    Beeing a Linux-newbie with a left-over 300Mhz PPC Mac, I've decided to try
    installing MDK 9.1 PPC to get something going. (Well, my wife doesn't like
    the idea of yet_another_grey_box in the house either... ;-) )

    Question is; how much can you do on such a machine?

    I've found out a bit about the blackdown SDK, but not really how good or bad
    it is or even its actual features. As far as I've found out it supports v.
    1.3; is it possible to develop and deploy J2EE-applications with this SDK?

    There also *seems* to a compiler from IBM, that supports 1.4.1 (see
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-power.../msg00216.html )
    but making it work doesn't seem to be a trivial task.

    Anybody, who has tried doing some serious Java-development on Linux/PPC and
    have some opinions on the subject?

    For my purposes, should I rather throw away the ol' Mac and buy a cheap, new
    (or used) x86? (And risk the peace in the house...)

    I really appreciate any help on the subject...

    Best regards,
    Ken

  2. Re: Linux newbie: J2EE on Linux/PPC G3 300Mhz?

    "Ken" wrote in message news:<4086d5db$0$429$edfadb0f@dread14.news.tele.dk>...
    > Hi All.
    >
    > I'm a developer who's previously primarily worked on the
    > Windows/.Net-platform, but now wants to go deeper into Java and Linux.
    >
    > Beeing a Linux-newbie with a left-over 300Mhz PPC Mac, I've decided to try
    > installing MDK 9.1 PPC to get something going. (Well, my wife doesn't like
    > the idea of yet_another_grey_box in the house either... ;-) )
    >
    > Question is; how much can you do on such a machine?
    >
    > I've found out a bit about the blackdown SDK, but not really how good or bad
    > it is or even its actual features. As far as I've found out it supports v.
    > 1.3; is it possible to develop and deploy J2EE-applications with this SDK?
    >
    > There also *seems* to a compiler from IBM, that supports 1.4.1 (see
    > http://lists.debian.org/debian-power.../msg00216.html )
    > but making it work doesn't seem to be a trivial task.
    >
    > Anybody, who has tried doing some serious Java-development on Linux/PPC and
    > have some opinions on the subject?
    >
    > For my purposes, should I rather throw away the ol' Mac and buy a cheap, new
    > (or used) x86? (And risk the peace in the house...)
    >
    > I really appreciate any help on the subject...
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Ken

    Well, i'm using Yellowdog on a G3-upgraded Supermac and installed the
    IBM JDK, and it's working just fine including JSP-Development with
    tomcat (As an "IDE" i'm using emacs with the jde package).

    You can get it (the JDK) at www6.software.ibm.com/dl/lxdk/lxdk-p.
    Choose SDK for 32 bit iSeries/pSeries.

    You have to register, but it's free. You can even get DB2 for ppcLinux
    (wow!).

    The only thing i had to do to get it working with the JIT-compiler is
    to add a line EXPORT JITC_PROCESSOR_TYPE=6 to my profile. That's it !

    Have Fun

    Jochen

  3. Re: Linux newbie: J2EE on Linux/PPC G3 300Mhz?

    Hi Jochen.

    Thanks for your answer; it's very comforting to know, that there's a great
    working JDK 1.4 out there... :-)
    Now, I'm just itching for my Mandrake-CD's to arrive in the post, so I can
    try out this exciting platform!

    Best regards,
    Ken

    "Jochen Rollwagen" wrote in message
    news:f2ab87c9.0404212346.54cd5f29@posting.google.c om...
    > "Ken" wrote in message

    > > Hi All.
    > >
    > > I'm a developer who's previously primarily worked on the
    > > Windows/.Net-platform, but now wants to go deeper into Java and Linux.
    > >
    > > Beeing a Linux-newbie with a left-over 300Mhz PPC Mac, I've decided to

    try
    > > installing MDK 9.1 PPC to get something going. (Well, my wife doesn't

    like
    > > the idea of yet_another_grey_box in the house either... ;-) )
    > >
    > > Question is; how much can you do on such a machine?
    > >
    > > I've found out a bit about the blackdown SDK, but not really how good or

    bad
    > > it is or even its actual features. As far as I've found out it supports

    v.
    > > 1.3; is it possible to develop and deploy J2EE-applications with this

    SDK?

    > > There also *seems* to a compiler from IBM, that supports 1.4.1 (see

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-power.../msg00216.html )
    > > but making it work doesn't seem to be a trivial task.
    > >
    > > Anybody, who has tried doing some serious Java-development on Linux/PPC

    and
    > > have some opinions on the subject?
    > >
    > > For my purposes, should I rather throw away the ol' Mac and buy a cheap,

    new
    > > (or used) x86? (And risk the peace in the house...)
    > >
    > > I really appreciate any help on the subject...
    > >
    > > Best regards,
    > > Ken

    > Well, i'm using Yellowdog on a G3-upgraded Supermac and installed the
    > IBM JDK, and it's working just fine including JSP-Development with
    > tomcat (As an "IDE" i'm using emacs with the jde package).
    >
    > You can get it (the JDK) at www6.software.ibm.com/dl/lxdk/lxdk-p.
    > Choose SDK for 32 bit iSeries/pSeries.
    >
    > You have to register, but it's free. You can even get DB2 for ppcLinux
    > (wow!).
    >
    > The only thing i had to do to get it working with the JIT-compiler is
    > to add a line EXPORT JITC_PROCESSOR_TYPE=6 to my profile. That's it !
    >
    > Have Fun
    >
    > Jochen

  4. Re: Linux newbie: J2EE on Linux/PPC G3 300Mhz?

    Jochen Rollwagen wrote:

    > Well, i'm using Yellowdog on a G3-upgraded Supermac and installed the
    > IBM JDK, and it's working just fine including JSP-Development with
    > tomcat (As an "IDE" i'm using emacs with the jde package).
    >
    > You can get it (the JDK) at www6.software.ibm.com/dl/lxdk/lxdk-p.
    > Choose SDK for 32 bit iSeries/pSeries.
    >
    > You have to register, but it's free. You can even get DB2 for ppcLinux
    > (wow!).
    >
    > The only thing i had to do to get it working with the JIT-compiler is
    > to add a line EXPORT JITC_PROCESSOR_TYPE=6 to my profile. That's it !
    >
    > Have Fun
    >
    > Jochen

    Jochen,

    Have you tried using either Eclipse or Netbeans? I've read that Linux is
    generally somewhat faster than OSX on the same hardware so I'm trying to
    figure out whether to install Linux on my 667mhz G4 Tibook in order to
    make it a viable Java development platform. Viable for me means able to
    run Eclipse and/or Netbeans with acceptable performance which I can't do
    using OSX. Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated.

    Mike

  5. Re: Linux newbie: J2EE on Linux/PPC G3 300Mhz?

    Badbrain wrote in message news:<4088078a$0$39888$5a6aecb4@news.aaisp.net.uk>...
    > Jochen Rollwagen wrote:
    > >
    > > Well, i'm using Yellowdog on a G3-upgraded Supermac and installed the
    > > IBM JDK, and it's working just fine including JSP-Development with
    > > tomcat (As an "IDE" i'm using emacs with the jde package).
    > >
    > > You can get it (the JDK) at www6.software.ibm.com/dl/lxdk/lxdk-p.
    > > Choose SDK for 32 bit iSeries/pSeries.
    > >
    > > You have to register, but it's free. You can even get DB2 for ppcLinux
    > > (wow!).
    > >
    > > The only thing i had to do to get it working with the JIT-compiler is
    > > to add a line EXPORT JITC_PROCESSOR_TYPE=6 to my profile. That's it !
    > >
    > > Have Fun
    > >
    > > Jochen

    > Jochen,
    >
    > Have you tried using either Eclipse or Netbeans? I've read that Linux is
    > generally somewhat faster than OSX on the same hardware so I'm trying to
    > figure out whether to install Linux on my 667mhz G4 Tibook in order to
    > make it a viable Java development platform. Viable for me means able to
    > run Eclipse and/or Netbeans with acceptable performance which I can't do
    > using OSX. Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Mike

    Linux is definitely faster than OS X, especially when it comes to JAVA
    (the OS X implementation, well, sucks).

    I don't know about NetBeans or Eclipse, but you can get JBuilder from
    Borland (a really nice IDE for Java) working on ppc Linux. You have to
    download the free version for Linux x86 and do some additional
    tweaking described here

    http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/...er/011053.html

    Cheers

    Jochen

  6. Re: Linux newbie: J2EE on Linux/PPC G3 300Mhz?

    Jochen Rollwagen wrote:

    > Linux is definitely faster than OS X, especially when it comes to JAVA
    > (the OS X implementation, well, sucks).
    >
    > I don't know about NetBeans or Eclipse, but you can get JBuilder from
    > Borland (a really nice IDE for Java) working on ppc Linux. You have to
    > download the free version for Linux x86 and do some additional
    > tweaking described here
    >
    > http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/...er/011053.html

    Thanks for the info Jochen

    Mike