Re: MANDRAKE or YELLOW DOG? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Re: MANDRAKE or YELLOW DOG? - Powerpc ; In article , Larry Autry wrote: > None of the releases seem to > support my TwinTurbo card. I am using an ims Twin Turbo on a PPCLinux 2.4 kernel. As I'm ancient, so is my PPC. It's a 9600 ...

  1. Re: MANDRAKE or YELLOW DOG?

    In article , Larry Autry
    wrote:

    > None of the releases seem to
    > support my TwinTurbo card.

    I am using an ims Twin Turbo on a PPCLinux 2.4 kernel. As I'm ancient, so
    is my PPC. It's a 9600 at 200Mh. The linux kernel source has an imstt
    option. You may be a pro, and this may be boring, but if you don't have
    anything to do in an afternoon, recompile the kernel and make sure the
    imstt video driver is compiled. Great learning experience and you
    shouldn't hurt your OS. Just make sure you have upgraded all the software
    needed. I'm only assuming that the kernel source is available to you. And
    I'm assuming that this thread isn't dead as a doornail.

    leo

    --

  2. Re: MANDRAKE or YELLOW DOG?

    Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
    > In article , Larry Autry
    > wrote:
    >

    >>None of the releases seem to
    >>support my TwinTurbo card.

    > I am using an ims Twin Turbo on a PPCLinux 2.4 kernel. As I'm ancient, so
    > is my PPC. It's a 9600 at 200Mh. The linux kernel source has an imstt
    > option.

    Hi:

    The kernels at ppckernel.org have had imstt support compiled in for a
    while now. YDL tends to have it compiled into the kernel, but to not
    have the driver for it compiled/installed by default (YDL 2.3 was the
    last to have it, I think.) For older machines, these kernels can be
    huge timesavers vs. roll-your-own. Of course, you benefit a lot more
    from tweaking a compile to your tastes.

    D.

  3. Re: MANDRAKE or YELLOW DOG?

    In article , "!David
    Stoltenberg" wrote:

    > Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

    > > I am using an ims Twin Turbo on a PPCLinux 2.4 kernel. As I'm ancient, so
    > > is my PPC. It's a 9600 at 200Mh. The linux kernel source has an imstt
    > > option.

    >For older machines, these kernels can be
    > huge timesavers vs. roll-your-own. Of course, you benefit a lot more
    > from tweaking a compile to your tastes.

    Oh! The self-satisfaction I get from taking source, tweaking to change the
    default foreground-background color and compiling after numerous failures
    at configuration is truly something I can't describe.
    No family member, friend or acquaintance has a clue to my joy. And now
    there's a 2.6 kernel that I get to do it all over with again. Don't get me
    wrong. I'm not looking forward to it.

    leo