booting up and stopping in command-line mode, i.e. don't start X Windows - Powerpc

This is a discussion on booting up and stopping in command-line mode, i.e. don't start X Windows - Powerpc ; I have installed YDL 3.01 on a Beige G3. I had it working fine but, never knowing when to quit while I am ahead, I decided to put in the video parameters for my monitor (an older KDS CRT that ...

  1. booting up and stopping in command-line mode, i.e. don't start X Windows

    I have installed YDL 3.01 on a Beige G3.

    I had it working fine but, never knowing when to quit while I am
    ahead, I decided to put in the video parameters for my monitor (an
    older KDS CRT that the installer didn't recognize).

    And, needless to say, I have hosed it up and now the screen is blank
    once the system starts up X Windows.

    I am a Linux newbie... So how do I get the system stay in command-line
    mode? Is there some key combination that will stop X Windows from
    starting up. And when in the boot procedure to you press that key
    combination?

    And once I have logged in as root at the command line prompt, where do
    I go in the file structure to fix the video parameters.

    TIA, --Doug

  2. Re: booting up and stopping in command-line mode, i.e. don't start X Windows

    Ciao D Denholm, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

    > So how do I get the system stay in command-line
    > mode? Is there some key combination that will stop X Windows from
    > starting up. And when in the boot procedure to you press that key
    > combination?

    1) When you get stuck, try fn+ctrl+alt+F2, login as root and give

    # init 3

    you'll be in text mode.

    2) Try booting the first CD and at the first prompt give

    linux rescue

    then when you'll be at the new prompt type

    # chroot /mnt/sysimage

    > And once I have logged in as root at the command line prompt, where do
    > I go in the file structure to fix the video parameters.

    Well the file you have to edit is

    /etc/X11/XF86Config

    if you can't get anything good from it try using

    # redhat-config-xfree86

    or

    # Xautoconfig

    To restart the GUI type