Linux ISO image compiled for powerpc 5400 available for download? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Linux ISO image compiled for powerpc 5400 available for download? - Powerpc ; Hi there all Does anyone have a compiled linux iso image that would run on a Powerpc 5400 available for download, or know where one is? Alternatly, does anyone have a copy of OS 9.0 or 9.1 available. I cant ...

  1. Linux ISO image compiled for powerpc 5400 available for download?

    Hi there all

    Does anyone have a compiled linux iso image that would run on a
    Powerpc 5400 available for download, or know where one is?
    Alternatly, does anyone have a copy of OS 9.0 or 9.1 available. I cant
    find it available for sale at Apple.

    Glenn.

  2. Re: Linux ISO image compiled for powerpc 5400 available for download?

    Glenn M wrote:

    > Does anyone have a compiled linux iso image that would run on a
    > Powerpc 5400 available for download, or know where one is?
    > Alternatly, does anyone have a copy of OS 9.0 or 9.1 available. I cant
    > find it available for sale at Apple.

    You should be able to find a rea$onably priced copy of OS9 or 9.1 on
    eBay, or from one of the vendor links at Other World Computing, or Low
    End Mac.
    I'm running Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1 on a PPC5500 which is pretty much the
    same machine as the 5400. I had a 5400 previously and can't remember if
    I ever installed LInux on it, but it should work. Just make sure you use
    a combination of the insatllation video that's on the YDL website along
    with the printed installation guide.
    You might also be interested in "Mac OS9 Helper" available from OWC. It
    enables the use of Mac 0S 9.2.2 on machines that Apple says can't use
    it. It's a free downloand and worked great on my 5500.
    For Yellow Dog LInux you'll need to download three iso images...Ditto
    for Mandrake Linux for PPC. At least for the latest distribution.
    HOpe this helps.
    KB

    -=-=-
    .... Taglines are like cats. You just think that they're yours.
    * TagZilla 0.049

+ Reply to Thread