Using YDL as a router/firewall - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Using YDL as a router/firewall - Powerpc ; Hello- I am trying to set up a beige G3/266 with YDL 3.0 to be used as a router/firewall on my home network, and am having difficulties getting the OS to recognize the built-in NIC and the PCI NIC I ...

  1. Using YDL as a router/firewall

    Hello-
    I am trying to set up a beige G3/266 with YDL 3.0 to be used as a
    router/firewall on my home network, and am having difficulties getting
    the OS to recognize the built-in NIC and the PCI NIC I installed at
    the same time. It seems to be getting confused about which NIC is
    which--when I have the PCI NIC installed, the hardware browser says
    that it is the only NIC in the machine, and the Network configurator
    says that eth0 is my PCI NIC, even though I know by MAC address and
    the fact that I can unplug the network cable going to the PCI NIC and
    still transmit data, that eth0 is actually the built-in NIC. Does
    anyone have any experience using a YDL machine as a router/firewall?
    Could you give me some suggestions/pointers?

    Thanks-
    Joel

  2. Re: Using YDL as a router/firewall

    Joel Daynes wrote:

    > Hello-
    > I am trying to set up a beige G3/266 with YDL 3.0 to be used as a
    > router/firewall on my home network, and am having difficulties getting
    > the OS to recognize the built-in NIC and the PCI NIC I installed at
    > the same time. It seems to be getting confused about which NIC is
    > which--when I have the PCI NIC installed, the hardware browser says
    > that it is the only NIC in the machine, and the Network configurator
    > says that eth0 is my PCI NIC, even though I know by MAC address and
    > the fact that I can unplug the network cable going to the PCI NIC and
    > still transmit data, that eth0 is actually the built-in NIC. Does
    > anyone have any experience using a YDL machine as a router/firewall?
    > Could you give me some suggestions/pointers?
    >
    > Thanks-
    > Joel

    If the GUI tools are no help, here are some pointers to solve the NICs
    story:

    (1) What PCI NIC do you have?

    ....> sudo /sbin/lspci

    This should tell you what type of PCI NIC you have. My case, I've got:

    00:0f.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc RTL8139 Ethernet (rev 10)

    (2) Check /etc/modules.conf

    ....> cat /etc/modules.conf

    That should return something like:

    alias eth0 mace
    alias eth1 8139too

    eth0 is the built-in, eth1 is the PCI... because I already configured it.
    How to know which driver to use? Depending on what you got with lspci,
    search for it in /boot/modules.conf:

    # The "8139" comes from the lspci line.

    ....> grep 8139 /boot/module-info

    In my case, it returned:

    8139cp
    "RealTek RTL-8139C+ series"
    8139too
    "RealTek RTL-8139, SMC EZ Card"

    Try modprobe which each and you'll find out which one is the right one.
    Once, you found it, add:

    alias eth

    to /etc/modules.conf where the card number you want and the
    driver that loaded OK with modprobe.

    (3) Configure /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts:

    Inside that directory, you should already have: ifcfg-eth0.
    Make sure you also have ifcfg-eth1 and configure both of them with the right
    values. Once you're done. Try:

    ....> sudo /etc/init.d/network stop
    ....> sudo /etc/init.d/network start

    That will tell you if your settings are OK. Alternatively, use ifup and
    ifdown for eth0 and/or eth1. If something goes wrong:

    ....> sudo /sbin/lsmod

    allows you to check that the PCI NIC driver loaded OK.

    ....> sudo /sbin/ifconfig -a

    will display the configuration of your NICs.

    For more information, get the RH9 documentation there:

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/

    and/or:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=linux...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

    Note: Don't ask me about setting up a Firewall/Router, I'm no help in that
    matter...

    HTH

  3. Re: Using YDL as a router/firewall

    spammers@go-to-hell.net wrote in message news:<8Mgec.5269$k05.956@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.ne t>...
> [...]

    > (3) Configure /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts:
    >
    > Inside that directory, you should already have: ifcfg-eth0.
    > Make sure you also have ifcfg-eth1 and configure both of them with the right
    > values. Once you're done. Try:
    >
    > ...> sudo /etc/init.d/network stop
    > ...> sudo /etc/init.d/network start
    >
    > That will tell you if your settings are OK. Alternatively, use ifup and
    > ifdown for eth0 and/or eth1. If something goes wrong:
    >
    > ...> sudo /sbin/lsmod
    >
    > allows you to check that the PCI NIC driver loaded OK.
    >
    > ...> sudo /sbin/ifconfig -a
    >
    > will display the configuration of your NICs.
    >
    > For more information, get the RH9 documentation there:
    >
    > http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/
    >
    > and/or:
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=linux...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    >
    > Note: Don't ask me about setting up a Firewall/Router, I'm no help in that

    Excellent--I'll give your suggestions a whirl. Thanks for the help!

+ Reply to Thread