How to install the packages with Yellow Dog - Powerpc

This is a discussion on How to install the packages with Yellow Dog - Powerpc ; Hello, I'm a new Linux user, on an old Performa 6400. I installed Yellow Dog, but choosed the basic instalation, to speed up the process and see Linux in action a bit more earlier Now, I need to install some ...

  1. How to install the packages with Yellow Dog

    Hello,

    I'm a new Linux user, on an old Performa 6400.
    I installed Yellow Dog, but choosed the basic instalation, to speed up the
    process and see Linux in action a bit more earlier
    Now, I need to install some of the other packages (particularly gcc and
    everything that goes with it), but I don't know how :
    Actually, I know where are the RPMs files, on the threee CDs. The problem is
    that I don't know which one I need.
    So, I wonder if there is a way to install them through a program similar to
    the one used during the installation (the package selection screen), to
    only have to tick a box in front of 'Programming stuff', if you see what I
    mean.

    Anyway, Linux rocks My Performa never ran so fast !

    Thanks for your answers,
    No
    --
    "Je ne hais que les bourreaux..."
    Albert Camus

  2. Re: How to install the packages with Yellow Dog

    No Falzon wrote in message news:<40744ce8$0$17507$626a14ce@news.free.fr>...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm a new Linux user, on an old Performa 6400.
    > I installed Yellow Dog, but choosed the basic instalation, to speed up the
    > process and see Linux in action a bit more earlier
    > Now, I need to install some of the other packages (particularly gcc and
    > everything that goes with it), but I don't know how :
    > Actually, I know where are the RPMs files, on the threee CDs. The problem is
    > that I don't know which one I need.
    > So, I wonder if there is a way to install them through a program similar to
    > the one used during the installation (the package selection screen), to
    > only have to tick a box in front of 'Programming stuff', if you see what I
    > mean.
    >
    > Anyway, Linux rocks My Performa never ran so fast !
    >
    > Thanks for your answers,
    > No

    Bonjour,

    for installing packages, there's the rpm program. A good descripton
    for it is

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...de/ch-rpm.html

    You could install gnorpm (if you're using Gnome), which is a graphical
    frontend for rpm, but sooner or later you'll switch to console mode
    anyway :-)

    As for installing the programming stuff, since you've just installed
    YDL, you probably haven't done too much with it yet, so the fastest
    way is to just install again, this time with the development tools.
    Installing them with rpm would take much longer.

  3. Re: How to install the packages with Yellow Dog

    No Falzon wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm a new Linux user, on an old Performa 6400.
    > I installed Yellow Dog, but choosed the basic instalation, to speed up the
    > process and see Linux in action a bit more earlier
    > Now, I need to install some of the other packages (particularly gcc and
    > everything that goes with it), but I don't know how :
    > Actually, I know where are the RPMs files, on the threee CDs. The problem
    > is that I don't know which one I need.
    > So, I wonder if there is a way to install them through a program similar
    > to the one used during the installation (the package selection screen), to
    > only have to tick a box in front of 'Programming stuff', if you see what I
    > mean.
    >
    > Anyway, Linux rocks My Performa never ran so fast !
    >
    > Thanks for your answers,
    > No

    Use the console, and use yum (as root, su or sudo). See:

    http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/suppor...-install.shtml

    which leads you to:

    http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/suppor...eral/yum.shtml

    Example:

    [...@... ...]$ sudo yum install gcc
    Password:
    Gathering package information from servers
    Getting headers from: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 base
    Getting headers from: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1 updates
    Finding updated packages
    Downloading needed headers
    gcc is installed and is the latest version

    In my case it's already installed, in your case it would compute the
    dependencies for you, download the lastest available stuff and then install
    the whole thing.

    Edit /etc/yum.conf to change the repositories and specify a mirror site.
    Those sites are listed here:

    http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/resour...ds.shtml#sites

    man yum and/or man yum.conf will explain that to you too.

    Ultimately, if you're using several machines, set up your own repository.

    HTH.

+ Reply to Thread