I once had the ability to network my linux box however I seemed to have
lost some capability here. I can map a drive on the linux box (a beige
Apple G3 running Yellow Dog Linux) from a windows machine but I can't
seem to map any drive on my home network from the linux box. The network
was running until a few weeks ago when I installed, on another MAC, OS X
(Panther).

When I try to invoke the network on the linux box in GNOME I get the
error

"The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in
"smb://192.168.1.103" could not be read (error code -36)" The machine
noted here "103" is the YDL linux box.

What gives?