Kernel rebuilding/replacing - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Kernel rebuilding/replacing - Powerpc ; I'm running YDL 3.0.1 on a PPC5500 and contemplating rebuilding or replacing the kernel...hoping to fix lack of sound. Can't find ALSA, Can only make sound work intermittently by manually loading dmasound_pmac and even then it only works until I ...

  1. Kernel rebuilding/replacing

    I'm running YDL 3.0.1 on a PPC5500 and contemplating rebuilding or
    replacing the kernel...hoping to fix lack of sound. Can't find ALSA, Can
    only make sound work intermittently by manually loading dmasound_pmac
    and even then it only works until I shut down. At next reboot, sound is
    gone.

    Anyway, instructions at
    http://www.digitalhermit.com/~kwan/k...ml#WHY-REBUILD seem geared
    for x86 systems, however, would same commands work on PPC based Linux
    systems?

    --
    ****************Ken Browne*********************
    clacking the keys in Old Sturbridge Village, MA

  2. Re: Kernel rebuilding/replacing

    KBee writes:

    > I'm running YDL 3.0.1 on a PPC5500 and contemplating rebuilding or
    > replacing the kernel...hoping to fix lack of sound. Can't find ALSA,
    > Can only make sound work intermittently by manually loading
    > dmasound_pmac and even then it only works until I shut down. At next
    > reboot, sound is gone.

    I put the line:

    modprobe dmasound_pmac

    in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

    and have not had problems since. This means the command is executed
    automatically at each boot.

    > Anyway, instructions at
    > http://www.digitalhermit.com/~kwan/k...ml#WHY-REBUILD seem geared
    > for x86 systems, however, would same commands work on PPC based Linux
    > systems?

    Pretty much, the main difference is that for x86 linux systems you
    compile a compressed image via the command:

    $make bzImage

    while for ppc/alpha etc you compile vmlinux

    $make vmlinux

    and copy/move the resulting file to the /boot directory. See
    http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/suppor.../kernels.shtml
    for more PPC kernel compilation instructions.

    --
    Stephen Harker Stephen.Harker@spme.monash.edu.au
    School of Physics & Materials Engineering

  3. Re: Kernel rebuilding/replacing (fix sound)

    Stephen Harker wrote:
    > KBee writes:

    >>Can only make sound work intermittently by manually loading
    >>dmasound_pmac and even then it only works until I shut down. At next
    >>reboot, sound is gone.

    > I put the line:
    >
    > modprobe dmasound_pmac
    >
    > in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
    >
    > and have not had problems since. This means the command is executed
    > automatically at each boot.

    Well this is helping on the sound issue! There was already a line in the
    rc.local file "modprobe snd-powermac" which apparently refers to a
    different driver than my machine calls for. I made the change as root
    and rebooted to the "drumbeat" during the initialization sequence. As
    "user" I got "dmasound_pmac does not exist"

    After some fiddling about with KMix and Xmms audio player I've been able
    to play some mp3 files that are burned on a CD. Performance is erratic,
    however. quits in middle of a song, etc. Seems to work better when
    logged in as root, but works as user or root only after muting and
    unmuting speaker/line out in KMix. How can I be sure KMix loads on boot?
    Config just gives a choice of how many mixers to probe during startup,
    whatever that means. No specific mention of KMix.

    Still no sound in Maelstrom. In sound confif there is no listing for
    Midi device. What should go in there? I'm guessing that would add sound
    to games (Maelstrom).

    -=-=-
    .... Now...witness the power of this *FULLY ARMED AND OPERATIONAL* Tagline!
    * TagZilla 0.049

  4. Re: Kernel rebuilding/replacing (fix sound)

    KBee writes:

    > Well this is helping on the sound issue! There was already a line in
    > the rc.local file "modprobe snd-powermac" which apparently refers to a
    > different driver than my machine calls for. I made the change as root
    > and rebooted to the "drumbeat" during the initialization sequence. As
    > "user" I got "dmasound_pmac does not exist"

    I am glad that something is working better. I have only made a
    limited use of sound from Linux and can't help on most of your
    questions.

    > Still no sound in Maelstrom. In sound confif there is no listing for
    > Midi device. What should go in there? I'm guessing that would add
    > sound to games (Maelstrom).

    As far as Maelstrom is concerned it is my understanding that in recent
    RedHat (and hence YDL) distributions sound is disabled by default. I
    used to get sound from Maelstrom in YDL 2.3, but not in 3.0. I am
    pretty sure I saw a post, maybe in comp.os.linux.misc explaining this,
    but cannot find it quickly. I did find one site with some information
    that seems to confirm the supposition.

    http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3...6/10/0/333338/

    --
    Stephen Harker Stephen.Harker@spme.monash.edu.au
    School of Physics & Materials Engineering
    Monash University http://www.ph.adfa.edu.au/s-harker/
    Baloney Baffles brains: Eric Frank Russell

+ Reply to Thread