Re: Sonnet G4-400 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Re: Sonnet G4-400 - Powerpc ; spammers@go-to-hell.net wrote: > KBee wrote: > > >>I've got a PPC 5500/225 up and running OS9 and YDL 3.0.1. After getting >>them running, with some wrinkles to be ironed out, I installed the >>driver for my G3 upgrade and it ...

  1. Re: Sonnet G4-400

    spammers@go-to-hell.net wrote:
    > KBee wrote:
    >

    >>I've got a PPC 5500/225 up and running OS9 and YDL 3.0.1. After getting
    >>them running, with some wrinkles to be ironed out, I installed the
    >>driver for my G3 upgrade and it works great when I boot into Mac OS. I

    > The file type of the Sonnet extension is 'INIT'. That of BootX is 'scri'.
    > Change the former to 'scri' or the latter to 'INIT' and change the names
    > (i.e. prefix by a space) the file names so that the Sonnet extension will

    How do I change the file type? Once that's done are you saying just add
    a "space" before the name of the respective extensions e.g. "_filename"?

    > load first, then BootX. Once this is done, to check whether or not the L2
    > cache is recognized within Linux: shell> cat /proc/sys/kernel/l2cr. It
    > should return something like:

    Cross this next bridge after I get past the above!

    --
    ****************Ken Browne*********************
    clacking the keys in Old Sturbridge Village, MA

    -=-=-
    .... This Tagline will appear 1/2 hour later in Newfoundland
    * TagZilla 0.049

  2. Re: Sonnet G4-400

    KBee wrote:

    >>>I've got a PPC 5500/225 up and running OS9 and YDL 3.0.1. After getting
    >>>them running, with some wrinkles to be ironed out, I installed the
    >>>driver for my G3 upgrade and it works great when I boot into Mac OS. I

    >> The file type of the Sonnet extension is 'INIT'. That of BootX is 'scri'.
    >> Change the former to 'scri' or the latter to 'INIT' and change the names
    >> (i.e. prefix by a space) the file names so that the Sonnet extension will

    > How do I change the file type? Once that's done are you saying just add
    > a "space" before the name of the respective extensions e.g. "_filename"?

    There are plenty of tools on MacOS to do so. I use the venerable free of
    charge ResEdit:

    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/417

    For the names, prefixing by a space is OK. Usually I use the following
    scheme: 001.This_extension, 002.That_extension, 003.AnotherOne and so on.
    It's more readable. But make sure that there are no extension within the
    "INIT" or "scri" set whose name starts by a character less than 0 (easy to
    see in list mode, Sonnet and BootX should be at the top). Anyway, if you do
    it right, you'll see the Sonnet graphic logo appear before you get to the
    BootX dialog box.

  3. Re: Sonnet G4-400

    spammers@go-to-hell.net wrote:

    > For the names, prefixing by a space is OK. Usually I use the following
    > scheme: 001.This_extension, 002.That_extension, 003.AnotherOne and so on.
    > It's more readable. But make sure that there are no extension within the
    > "INIT" or "scri" set whose name starts by a character less than 0 (easy to
    > see in list mode, Sonnet and BootX should be at the top). Anyway, if you do
    > it right, you'll see the Sonnet graphic logo appear before you get to the
    > BootX dialog box.

    I finally got around to trying this: Using Resedit I made the "file
    type" change for the Sonnet extension and typed a "001" before it. I
    couldn't find the BootX extension at first. It was at the very bottom of
    the list (I added a space previously) so I renamed it with "002" and got
    rid of the space, which was marked by a large black dot (circle). There
    is still one extension in between the OO1SonnetProcessorUpgrad and the
    002BootX Extension. It is "EM Extension" Would this be an extension for
    OS9 Helper, which I used to upgrade MacOS9.1 to 9.2.2? If so where would
    it fit in the 00- 002-003 scheme of things? Prior to these changes I
    think the "Old World Support" designator comes up before the Sonnet
    extension loads. Thanks.

    --
    ***Ken Browne clacking the keys in Old Sturbridge Village,Massachusetts***
    remove "REMOVESPAM" to reply

  4. Re: Sonnet G4-400

    spammers@go-to-hell.net wrote:

    I finally got the Sonnet extension to load...then BootX dialog box. When
    I clicked on Linux to start Yellow Dog Linux my system froze after a few
    lines of info ending with:

    setup_arch: enter
    setup_arch: bootmem
    arch: exit

    Previously I tried running the BootX extension after fully booting into
    MacOS9 and got the same result. YDL's website states under compatibility
    that daughter cards in the 5500 have intermittent problems or words to
    that effect. I suspect it just isn't going to work.

    By the way, the key was adding a "dot" between the numbering scheme and
    the extension name. I had missed that in previous attempts. I've been
    making these changes in ResEdit 2.1.3 via "File/GetFile/Folder Info.
    There are a number of other items in the dialog box that comes up. Any
    chance any of these could affect my results? I noted that for the Sonnet
    G3 Upgrade extension the "Creator" box says: "????" I'm guessing that
    box could have anything in it just as an identifier??

    --
    ***Ken Browne clacking the keys in Old Sturbridge Village,Massachusetts***
    remove "REMOVESPAM" to reply

+ Reply to Thread