problem installing YDL Yellow Dog Linux on Oldworld Mac - Powerpc

This is a discussion on problem installing YDL Yellow Dog Linux on Oldworld Mac - Powerpc ; I am trying to install YDL 3.01 on an Oldworld Mac (Beige G3, 233 MHz, 96MB Ram). I repartitioned the 4 GB harddrive using a OS 9.2.1 install disk and utilities. I gave OS 9 600 Mb, and left 3.4 ...

  1. problem installing YDL Yellow Dog Linux on Oldworld Mac

    I am trying to install YDL 3.01 on an Oldworld Mac (Beige G3, 233 MHz,
    96MB Ram).

    I repartitioned the 4 GB harddrive using a OS 9.2.1 install disk and
    utilities. I gave OS 9 600 Mb, and left 3.4 Gb unallocated for Linux.

    I installed 9.2.1 in the OS 9 partition.

    I had already downloaded the 3 YDL 3.01 ISO images and burned the
    three CDs.

    I rebooted into OS 9.2.1 and inserted the first YDL CD.

    I put the BootX extension in the 9.2.1 extensions folder. I put the
    BootX app in the Control Panel folder.

    I put a Linux Kernels folder in the 9.2.1 Systems folder and copied
    over 2 (?) kernel files. (Why are there 2 files?)

    I also put a ramdisk.image.gz file in the system folder.

    I rebooted the machine and under BootX options I chose the
    ramdisk.image.gz.

    I then clicked on the Linux Button. The OS 9 desktop disappeared and
    the screen went black and one could see scrolling ascii text as, I
    presume, the kernel loaded.

    I then got a crude ascii graphics-style screen asking what language I
    wanted.

    The mouse did not work, but I was able to tab around and spacebar and
    enter worked.

    I chose "English", I then got another crude screen asking what style
    of keyboard I was using, I chose "us".

    I then got another crude screen asking where the install files were.
    The default was "Local CDROM" which was fine... But at this point the
    system froze up. Neither Tab/Shift Tab, space bar, or enter worked and
    I had to powercycle the machine.

    Any suggestions for getting this install to work would be appreciated.

    TIA,

    --Doug

  2. Re: problem installing YDL Yellow Dog Linux on Oldworld Mac

    D Denholm wrote:
    > I am trying to install YDL 3.01 on an Oldworld Mac (Beige G3, 233 MHz,
    > 96MB Ram).
    >
    > I put a Linux Kernels folder in the 9.2.1 Systems folder and copied
    > over 2 (?) kernel files. (Why are there 2 files?)
    >
    > I also put a ramdisk.image.gz file in the system folder.

    During the install you have to choose from a drop down menu the kernel
    ending in *boot*. After install is successful you have to change the
    Bootx option to the other kernel.

    > I chose "English", I then got another crude screen asking what style
    > of keyboard I was using, I chose "us".

    The *crude* screens to which you refer are the text based install. I'm
    not sure why you got as far as you did and no further, but check the
    above point before going too far. I had a couple of mis-starts
    installing onto my Old Word PPC5500 but eventually got into the GUI
    install and it went smoothly.

    I jsut wish I could get the last remaining wrinkles ironed out...sound
    and mounting usb CDRW.

    --
    ****************Ken Browne*********************
    clacking the keys in Old Sturbridge Village, MA

    -=-=-
    .... Taglines are like cats. You just think that they're yours.
    * TagZilla 0.049

  3. Re: problem installing YDL Yellow Dog Linux on Oldworld Mac

    D Denholm wrote:

    ..
    ..
    > I put a Linux Kernels folder in the 9.2.1 Systems folder and copied
    > over 2 (?) kernel files. (Why are there 2 files?)

    One kernel is for install, the other for use once you've performed the
    installation. For install, use the "BOOT" one (see
    http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/suppor...ide-single.pdf)

    ..
    ..
    > I also put a ramdisk.image.gz file in the system folder.

    Yes, and it's only to be used during installation.

    > I rebooted the machine and under BootX options I chose the
    > ramdisk.image.gz.

    You don't actually need to reboot, just launch bootX once you're happy with
    the settings.

    ..
    ..
    > I then got a crude ascii graphics-style screen asking what language I
    > wanted.

    Did you specify you wanted a TEXT install? Otherwise, you might want to
    select the "No Video Driver" if you want the graphic installer (just what I
    can think of).

    ..
    ..
    > I then got another crude screen asking where the install files were.
    > The default was "Local CDROM" which was fine... But at this point the
    > system froze up. Neither Tab/Shift Tab, space bar, or enter worked and
    > I had to powercycle the machine.

    Could be various things. Browse those in order to reduce the possible cases:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...pc&btnG=Search

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...pc&btnG=Search

    http://www.google.com/custom?q=insta...tsolutions.com

    > Any suggestions for getting this install to work would be appreciated.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > --Doug

  4. Re: problem installing YDL Yellow Dog Linux on Oldworld Mac

    On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 13:41:21 -0700, D Denholm wrote:

    > I am trying to install YDL 3.01 on an Oldworld Mac (Beige G3, 233 MHz,
    > 96MB Ram).
    >
    > I repartitioned the 4 GB harddrive using a OS 9.2.1 install disk and
    > utilities. I gave OS 9 600 Mb, and left 3.4 Gb unallocated for Linux.
    >
    > I installed 9.2.1 in the OS 9 partition.
    >
    > I had already downloaded the 3 YDL 3.01 ISO images and burned the
    > three CDs.
    >
    > I rebooted into OS 9.2.1 and inserted the first YDL CD.
    >
    > I put the BootX extension in the 9.2.1 extensions folder. I put the
    > BootX app in the Control Panel folder.
    >
    > I put a Linux Kernels folder in the 9.2.1 Systems folder and copied
    > over 2 (?) kernel files. (Why are there 2 files?)
    >
    > I also put a ramdisk.image.gz file in the system folder.
    >
    > I rebooted the machine and under BootX options I chose the
    > ramdisk.image.gz.
    >
    > I then clicked on the Linux Button. The OS 9 desktop disappeared and
    > the screen went black and one could see scrolling ascii text as, I
    > presume, the kernel loaded.
    >
    > I then got a crude ascii graphics-style screen asking what language I
    > wanted.
    >
    > The mouse did not work, but I was able to tab around and spacebar and
    > enter worked.
    >
    > I chose "English", I then got another crude screen asking what style
    > of keyboard I was using, I chose "us".
    >
    > I then got another crude screen asking where the install files were.
    > The default was "Local CDROM" which was fine... But at this point the
    > system froze up. Neither Tab/Shift Tab, space bar, or enter worked and
    > I had to powercycle the machine.
    >
    > Any suggestions for getting this install to work would be appreciated.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > --Doug

    Doug,

    I'm not a Mac pro (not by a long shot), but the below is how I got my
    oldworld Mac (clone) to accept, boot & use YDL 3.0.1. I have included
    the steps here. It notes some of the major pre/post install issues I
    had & how to get around them. Also to not, the Text YDL installer never
    worked for me; only the graphical one did.

    How to install Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1
    on a Power Computing - PowerCenter Pro 210 Mac (clone?)

    Here is some background info in case it helps:

    The Mac was upgraded & has the following hardware:

    - 210 MHz 604e processor
    - 4 MB ATI Rage II video
    - 128 Mb ram
    - Adaptec Ultra SCSI PCI card; with the following devices connected to the
    SCSI bus.
    ---- Smart Friendly 2x CDRW (appears to read audio CDs ok; but data CDs are
    hit and miss)
    ---- original 16x SCSI CD drive (don't appear to work with any type of CD)
    ---- Iomega Zip-100
    ---- IBM 4 Gig SCSI hard drive
    -- internal Ethernet adapter (works - connects to the LAN & works to surf
    the web.)

    The rest of the hardware is all standard and untouched as far as I can
    tell... It does boot & is currently running Mac OS v8.6.

    For all those whom may want to know how I did this I have documented it
    below...

    The 2.4 stock kernels were from the YDL 3.0.1 CDs. All of the other kernels I
    tested (including the working 2.2.18-14 kernel) were downloaded from
    www.ppckernel.org.

    I looked for the URL for this specific file & it appears
    www.ppckernel.org has since removed the 2.2.18-14 kernel from their site. A
    fast Google search on the other hand, shows it can be downloaded from
    "http://mirror.usu.edu/mirrors/suse/ppc/kernel/2.2.18/". :-)

    Also in case you want to get YDL 3.0.1 going yourself, here is a refined
    version of what I did... You can skip whatever steps that need not apply.

    * Some Notes:
    -- I'm working from memory here and may have messed up a few of the button's
    names; but you should get the idea what I'm talking about.
    -- I recommend that you backup anything you need/want off your Mac before
    proceeding. However this should go without saying. :-)
    -- If you are unable to find any of the files I used to get this going,
    search the web first. Google has been good for me... If you still cannot
    find the files, drop me a line & I will email them to you when I get a
    chance.

    Ok, so your ready; here goes...
    - before starting, I disconnected non-working hardware (like my broken
    regular CD drive) from the SCSI bus.
    - booted into existing Mac OS
    - downloaded the 2.2.18-14 kernel (www.ppckernel.org) & Adaptec Toast CD
    Reader v3.5.6 extension files
    (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/mac/87) to the Mac desktop
    - moved these downloaded files to zip disk (I needed these
    - rebooted off iMac 8.6 Restore CD on my working CD burner drive
    - deleted existing partitions & setup Mac with 700 meg HFS+ partition; with
    the rest of the drive left as free space
    - restored a clean copy of the Mac 8.6 OS to the 700 meg partition
    - rebooted Mac off hard drive
    - copied Adaptec Toast CD Reader v3.5.6 extension files from zip disk to
    the Mac system file extensions folder
    - copied 2.2.18-14 kernel from zip drive to the Mac desktop for later use
    - powered down the Mac and disconnected the internal zip drive from the
    SCSI bus
    [This left me with the 4 Gig SCSI hard drive & the CD burner attached
    to the internal SCSI bus cables.]
    - rebooted the Mac to allow the Toast CD Reader v3.5.6 extension to take
    affect; this is required so I can mount/read CDs on my CD burner via the Mac
    8.6 OS.
    - put YDL 3.0 disk 1 in the CD burner
    - copied BootX 1.2.2, 2.4 boot kernel & ramdisk image files from YDL 3.0 CD
    on my Mac desktop.
    - setup files as necessary:
    -- extracted BootX files (which created a BootX 1.2.2 folder on the
    desktop
    -- put 2.4 boot kernel & 2.2.18-14 kernel in the BootX 1.2.2 kernel
    file folder
    -- put the ramdisk image in the BootX 1.2.2 folder
    - ran BootX with 2.4 boot kernel.
    - No Video option off
    - No extra kernel parameters
    Options were set to:
    -- Force SCSI on
    -- Force Video off
    -- used ramdisk image from BootX 1.2.2 folder
    - clicked the Linux button and I was on my way to installing Linux...

    * Note: Watch your hard drive's designation/detection during the Linux
    install boot process. With the 2.4 kernels & zip drive connected, Linux
    said my hard drive was 'sdb'. However with the 2.4 kernel & zip drive
    disconnected, it shows the drive was 'sda'. This is why I disconnected my
    zip drive from the SCSI bus before installing Linux; it is apparently very
    important that the drive's designation show the same across both the 2.4
    kernel and the 2.2 kernel for Linux to boot correctly. Anyway, this should
    be one very important thing to look out for, as this caused me a great deal
    of problems on the post YDL 3.0 installation boot. If the 2.4 kernel sees
    the hard drive as 'sdb' & you install YDL successfully, and then 2.2 kernel
    sees the hard drive as 'sda'; YDL will fail on the 2.2 kernel boot with an
    error about not being able to see '/dev/sdbX' partition...

    - setup partitions & install Linux as usual
    -- my hard drive shows my Mac partitions were on 'sda1' to 'sda5'
    -- created '/' [ext3 format] on 'sda6' (filled to allowable space)
    -- created 'swap' on 'sda7'
    - when YDL 3.0 install has completed, exit installer & allow machine to
    reboot back to Mac OS
    - boot YDL with BootX; with the 2.2.18-14 kernel, no ramdisk image and set
    your /dev/"something" ('sda6' on my Mac)
    - your done... should boot normally; except you will see a few
    non-critical failures due to some missing kernel lib modules

    Enjoy... :-)

    I hope this helps...
    --
    James
    turajbNOSPAM@hoflink.com

  5. Re: problem installing YDL Yellow Dog Linux on Oldworld Mac

    Thanks for the advice. I had figured it out on my own in the meantime
    and the problem was pretty much in line with what you guys are saying.

    There are two kernel files. One which is only for use during install
    (it has boot as part of the file name) and the second which is for use
    after install.

    Being a newbie, I had put *both* in the Linux Kernels folder in the OS
    9 System Folder. Once I moved the post-install kernel out of the Linux
    Kernels folder, leaving the boot kernel... Everything worked fine. I
    got the snazzy graphical install windows and everything worked as
    advertised.

    And once I had all the packages installed, I rebooted in OS 9, swapped
    the kernel files, unchecked the ramdisk option in BootX, and put in
    the proper location for the boot partition (hda6 in my case).

    Used BootX to start up Linux and up came YDL. Nice! I was able to
    login both as Root and under an user account I set up.

    Now all I have to do is figure out all these packages and how to use
    the KDE desktop environment, etc. The YDL download seemed to include
    of a *lot* of nice stuff. I look forward to figuring it all out.

    Thanks again.

    --D Denholm

  6. Re: problem installing YDL Yellow Dog Linux on Oldworld Mac

    D Denholm wrote:
    ..
    ..
    > Being a newbie, I had put *both* in the Linux Kernels folder in the OS
    > 9 System Folder. Once I moved the post-install kernel out of the Linux
    > Kernels folder, leaving the boot kernel... Everything worked fine. I
    > got the snazzy graphical install windows and everything worked as
    > advertised.

    ..
    ..
    > Now all I have to do is figure out all these packages and how to use
    > the KDE desktop environment, etc. The YDL download seemed to include
    > of a *lot* of nice stuff. I look forward to figuring it all out.

    Good.

    From there,

    (1) you'll find information at these locations:

    - http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/ (they have good papers for
    everybody)

    - file:///usr/share/doc (the place on your disk where the doc [when it
    exists] about everything installed is located)

    - http://www.tldp.org/ (where you'll find the Linux HOWTOs)

    - If you're really into it: Linux Administration Handbook
    (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/0130084662)

    - http://www.redhat.com/docs/ (YDL is RH on PPC, so basically, everything
    the RH manuals say works for YDL except the stuff such as installation and
    other little things like that)

    (2) Don't use a GUI (KDE for instance) as root. Learn how to use the
    console, man (online text help), vi (for editing configuration files) and
    sudo (for doing things as root... when you have to).

    (3) If you need to install additional stuff: man yum. Otherwise, The YDL web
    site also has an HOWTO about yum.

    Have fun!

+ Reply to Thread