mouse button emulation - Powerpc

This is a discussion on mouse button emulation - Powerpc ; Hi, I have a PowerBook G4 and I am trying to get F10 and F11 to emulate the missing mouse buttons. For some reason, the instructions I find on many web pages are not working. I do: sysctl -w dev.mac_hid.mouse_button_emulation=1 ...

  1. mouse button emulation

    Hi,

    I have a PowerBook G4 and I am trying to get F10 and F11 to emulate
    the missing mouse buttons. For some reason, the instructions I find on
    many web pages are not working. I do:

    sysctl -w dev.mac_hid.mouse_button_emulation=1
    sysctl -w dev.mac_hid.mouse_button2_keycode=68
    sysctl -w dev.mac_hid.mouse_button3_keycode=87

    The above seem to work in that sysctl reports sthe new settings. (I
    am not typing on the PowerBook so there might be some misspelling.)

    After this, I see that F10 and F11 have stopped working as function
    keys, but they do not appear to work as mouse buttons. For instance,
    they do not invoke the blackbox root menus nor does F10 paste in
    consoles or xterms.

    I have also tried playng with pbbuttons (via powerprefs) to change
    keyboard behavior between "Function keys with Fn key" or "Hotkeys with
    Fn key", but nothing seems to change.

    I am using Slackintosh 9.1. The trackpad is working together with the
    only button.

    Thanks for your help,
    Stefano

    --
    Stefano | Department of Psychology, University of Bologna
    Ghirlanda | Interdisciplinary cultural research, Stockholm University

  2. Re: mouse button emulation

    Stefano Ghirlanda wrote:
    > I have a PowerBook G4 and I am trying to get F10 and F11 to emulate
    > the missing mouse buttons. For some reason, the instructions I find on
    > many web pages are not working. I do:
    >
    > sysctl -w dev.mac_hid.mouse_button_emulation=1
    > sysctl -w dev.mac_hid.mouse_button2_keycode=68
    > sysctl -w dev.mac_hid.mouse_button3_keycode=87
    >
    > The above seem to work in that sysctl reports sthe new settings. (I
    > am not typing on the PowerBook so there might be some misspelling.)
    > [...]

    Hmmm... maybe you are missing some of the adb & emumousebtn settings in your
    kernel config? I happen to echo 1, 68, and 87
    into /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid_mouse_emulation, mouse_button2_keycode, and
    mouse_button3_keycode on startup... but the sysctl alternative should work
    just as well.

    Do you have the following in your kernel config? (names on left in
    uppercase)

    config_adb=y
    config_adb_macio=y
    config_input_adbhid=y
    config_mac_adbkeycodes=y
    config_mac_emumousebtn=y
    config_mac_hid=y

    - Jason

  3. Re: mouse button emulation

    Jason Byrne writes:

    > Stefano Ghirlanda wrote:
    >> I have a PowerBook G4 and I am trying to get F10 and F11 to emulate
    >> the missing mouse buttons. For some reason, the instructions I find on
    >> many web pages are not working. I do:
    >>
    >> sysctl -w dev.mac_hid.mouse_button_emulation=1
    >> sysctl -w dev.mac_hid.mouse_button2_keycode=68
    >> sysctl -w dev.mac_hid.mouse_button3_keycode=87
    >>
    >> The above seem to work in that sysctl reports sthe new settings. (I
    >> am not typing on the PowerBook so there might be some misspelling.)
    >> [...]

    > Hmmm... maybe you are missing some of the adb & emumousebtn settings in your
    > kernel config? I happen to echo 1, 68, and 87
    > into /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid_mouse_emulation, mouse_button2_keycode, and
    > mouse_button3_keycode on startup... but the sysctl alternative should work
    > just as well.

    I think I had some kernel setting wrong, or I did not recompile hte
    kernel after changing the configuration. Now the button emulation
    works. It time to spend some effort on sleep/wakeup now!

    Thanks for your reply,
    Stefano

    --
    Stefano | Department of Psychology, University of Bologna
    Ghirlanda | Interdisciplinary cultural research, Stockholm University
    http://www.intercult.su.se/~stefano

+ Reply to Thread