New YDL install on an iBook, 6 problems looking for solutions - Powerpc

This is a discussion on New YDL install on an iBook, 6 problems looking for solutions - Powerpc ; Hi all, I bought a used iBook (G3-600 Mhz, 256 MB, DVD-ROM, Dual USB, ATI Rage 128 Mobility 8MB). I successful installed Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1 via the ISO disk images. However, there are a few problems I've noticed. If ...

  1. New YDL install on an iBook, 6 problems looking for solutions

    Hi all,

    I bought a used iBook (G3-600 Mhz, 256 MB, DVD-ROM, Dual USB, ATI Rage 128
    Mobility 8MB). I successful installed Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1 via the ISO
    disk images. However, there are a few problems I've noticed.

    If anyone has any answers to any of these I'd be very appreciative.

    1. Mozilla seems to crash. I launch Mozilla and Mozilla appears in the
    task bar with the hour glass flipping for about 20 seconds and then
    disappears and the window never comes up. No pop up messages or anything.
    The Konqueror web browser works fine accessing the internet.

    2. Audio CDs does not play. I put in an audio CD to the DVD-ROM drive and
    open up KsCD (KDE audio player). The amount of tracks and total time of the
    CD display correctly. However, the CD will not play. The display
    continually displays the 'pause' message even though I press the play
    button. Also it says it cannot find the CD's track information via freedb
    (even though it a very common album which freedb almost certainly has in
    it's listings)

    3. What package(s) do I need to get DVD movie playback working on my iBook?
    Which DVD player is best?

    4. I cannot get the battery meter to display on my KDE task bar. I turned
    on the battery display via the KDE control panel but it still do not display
    on my task bar.

    5. Is there a way to put the display (monitor) into power save mode (off)
    but keep the CPU running at 100%?

    6. Is there key/mouse combo that simulates a right or middle mouse button
    click (since my iBook only has a single mouse button)?

    Thanks for any help!

    Jon

  2. Re: New YDL install on an iBook, 6 problems looking for solutions

    Ciao Jon Cortelyou, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

    > 1. Mozilla seems to crash. I launch Mozilla and Mozilla appears in the
    > task bar with the hour glass flipping for about 20 seconds and then
    > disappears and the window never comes up. No pop up messages or anything.
    > The Konqueror web browser works fine accessing the internet.

    The default mozilla is quite old and heavy: try replacing it with Firefox.
    And in any case, start mozilla from command line and post the output
    error.

    > 2. Audio CDs does not play.

    That is normal: you need a plugin to play digital audio.
    On laptops there's no cable going from the cd to the soundboard.

    > 3. What package(s) do I need to get DVD movie playback working on my
    > iBook? Which DVD player is best?

    Add freshrpms.net to your /etc/apt/sources.list and then fire:

    # apt-get update
    # apt-get install ogle

    > 6. Is there key/mouse combo that simulates a right or middle mouse
    > button click (since my iBook only has a single mouse button)?

    On my iBook F10 and F11 work as second and third mouse button. Try them!
    Bye!

    --
    Best Regards, Jack
    Linux User #264449