LINUX vs. MAC OS X? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on LINUX vs. MAC OS X? - Powerpc ; This is NOT a holy war, I just want those who had them both (Linux and Mac OS X) in a PowerMac to tell me which one they "feel" faster, more responsive, and more efficient with CPU/RAM/Disk....

  1. LINUX vs. MAC OS X?

    This is NOT a holy war, I just want those who had them both (Linux and
    Mac OS X) in a PowerMac to tell me which one they "feel" faster, more
    responsive, and more efficient with CPU/RAM/Disk.

  2. Re: LINUX vs. MAC OS X?

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 15:27:27 -0500, AB PP wrote:

    > This is NOT a holy war, I just want those who had them both (Linux and
    > Mac OS X) in a PowerMac to tell me which one they "feel" faster, more
    > responsive, and more efficient with CPU/RAM/Disk.

    On my 266MHz iMac with 192MB of RAM, Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 definitely feels
    faster than Mac OS X 10.3. This effect is slim when I use a big desktop
    environment like KDE, but much greater when I use a slimmer desktop
    environment like XFce or a bare window manager like Icewm. Versions of Mac
    OS X prior to 10.2 felt much slower, I believe because of poorer video
    card drivers for this particular model.

    --
    Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
    http://www.rodsbooks.com

  3. Re: LINUX vs. MAC OS X?

    Rod Smith wrote:

    > On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 15:27:27 -0500, AB PP wrote:
    >
    > > This is NOT a holy war, I just want those who had them both (Linux and
    > > Mac OS X) in a PowerMac to tell me which one they "feel" faster, more
    > > responsive, and more efficient with CPU/RAM/Disk.

    > On my 266MHz iMac with 192MB of RAM, Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 definitely feels
    > faster than Mac OS X 10.3. This effect is slim when I use a big desktop
    > environment like KDE, but much greater when I use a slimmer desktop
    > environment like XFce or a bare window manager like Icewm. Versions of Mac
    > OS X prior to 10.2 felt much slower, I believe because of poorer video
    > card drivers for this particular model.

    Incidentally, OS X also feels a lot faster when I use XFce (or some
    other lighter window manager) instead of KDE or Aqua/Quartz. :-)

    No, seriously, GNU/Linux feels faster and probably is faster too. But
    the faster the machine the smaller is the difference. On a more current
    Mac I'd always recommend OS X rather than GNU.

    Pre-G3: GNU/Linux or BeOS
    Gray G3: GNU/Linux
    Blue and White G3: GNU/Linux or Mac OS X
    G4: Mac OS X
    G5: Mac OS X or GNU/Linux

    64 MB RAM: BeOS
    64 to 256 MB of RAM: GNU/Linux