PowerPC Newbie advice - Powerpc

This is a discussion on PowerPC Newbie advice - Powerpc ; Hello, and a good day to you all. I have been tinkering with linux for several years now (mainly Slackware), but to be honest have not touched an Apple since the IIE was considered ROBUST!! I recently have taken on ...

  1. PowerPC Newbie advice

    Hello, and a good day to you all.
    I have been tinkering with linux for several years now (mainly
    Slackware), but to be honest have not touched an Apple since the IIE was
    considered ROBUST!!
    I recently have taken on a job of setting up linux on a slighly modified
    (just more ram really) G3 desktop. The primary purpose of this box will
    be Web server, FTP server, SSH, & they have requested the linux version
    of "Filemaker" be installed. All I need is command line action, no
    GUI's or fancy stuff like that.

    I was considering installing the Debian PPC. I was wondering what
    people thought of the Deb PPC distro? Would this be a good one to use
    for the services listed above?, or is their perhaps a different distro
    out their that may be better??

    Any thoughts would be great!

    Many Thanks & Kind Regards,

    Bob
    ===========================
    http://b-o-b.homelinux.com
    West Longitude 90' 15' 43"
    ===========================

  2. Re: PowerPC Newbie advice

    Debian's good. You might also want to look at Yellow Dog (www.yellowdoglinux.com).

    - Jon

    "Robert D. De Mars" wrote in message news:<7%J2c.2799$4B1.613@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>...
    > Hello, and a good day to you all.
    > I have been tinkering with linux for several years now (mainly
    > Slackware), but to be honest have not touched an Apple since the IIE was
    > considered ROBUST!!
    > I recently have taken on a job of setting up linux on a slighly modified
    > (just more ram really) G3 desktop. The primary purpose of this box will
    > be Web server, FTP server, SSH, & they have requested the linux version
    > of "Filemaker" be installed. All I need is command line action, no
    > GUI's or fancy stuff like that.
    >
    > I was considering installing the Debian PPC. I was wondering what
    > people thought of the Deb PPC distro? Would this be a good one to use
    > for the services listed above?, or is their perhaps a different distro
    > out their that may be better??
    >
    > Any thoughts would be great!
    >
    > Many Thanks & Kind Regards,
    >
    > Bob
    > ===========================
    > http://b-o-b.homelinux.com
    > West Longitude 90' 15' 43"
    > ===========================

  3. Re: PowerPC Newbie advice

    Robert D. De Mars wrote:

    > I recently have taken on a job of setting up linux on a slighly modified
    > (just more ram really) G3 desktop. The primary purpose of this box will
    > be Web server, FTP server, SSH, & they have requested the linux version
    > of "Filemaker" be installed. All I need is command line action, no
    > GUI's or fancy stuff like that.

    I didn't think Filemaker was available for Linux/PPC?

    --
    Andrew J. Brehm
    Fan of Woody Allen

+ Reply to Thread