upping RAM? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on upping RAM? - Powerpc ; I have an old PowerBook G3 (266MHz) PowerBook running YDL3.0. Very, very slowly. Right now it has 96MB RAM. Can I speed things up by adding, say, 256MB to the machine? I gather you can expand these things up to ...

  1. upping RAM?

    I have an old PowerBook G3 (266MHz) PowerBook running YDL3.0. Very, very
    slowly.

    Right now it has 96MB RAM. Can I speed things up by adding, say, 256MB
    to the machine? I gather you can expand these things up to 512Mb total.

    cheers,

    David H

    --

    "When the tough get going, I'll steal their sandwiches."

    If you need to contact me direct, please remove the obvious from the
    reply address

  2. Re: upping RAM?

    David Harrison wrote:

    > Right now it has 96MB RAM. Can I speed things up by adding, say, 256MB
    > to the machine? I gather you can expand these things up to 512Mb
    > total.

    Yes, 512M is the maximum with 2 x 256M for the Wallstreet PB and others.
    In the Wallstreet PB, not all 256M memory modules are recognized; some
    are only recognized as 128M modules. One of the two slots can only
    accept "low profile" (= 1 inch size) modules, while the other can accept
    physically larger modules.

    Christian.

    --
    Christian F Buser, Hohle Gasse 6, CH-5507 Mellingen (Switzerland)
    Hilfe für Strassenkinder in Ghana:

  3. Re: upping RAM?

    On 3/1/2004 9:17 AM, Christian said:

    > David Harrison wrote:
    >

    >>Right now it has 96MB RAM. Can I speed things up by adding, say, 256MB
    >>to the machine? I gather you can expand these things up to 512Mb
    >>total.

    > Yes, 512M is the maximum with 2 x 256M for the Wallstreet PB and others.
    > In the Wallstreet PB, not all 256M memory modules are recognized; some
    > are only recognized as 128M modules. One of the two slots can only
    > accept "low profile" (= 1 inch size) modules, while the other can accept
    > physically larger modules.

    Thanks for the the tip -- I'll check out what's good and bad.

    Do you think adding any will increase speed, though? From the HD
    activity I hear whenever launching something or doing anything much, I
    suspect a lot of virtual memory is being used.

    cheers,

    David

    --

    "When the tough get going, I'll steal their sandwiches."

    If you need to contact me direct, please remove the obvious from the
    reply address

  4. Re: upping RAM?

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:20:32 +0000,
    David Harrison , in
    wrote:

    >+ Do you think adding any will increase speed, though? From the HD
    >+ activity I hear whenever launching something or doing anything much, I
    >+ suspect a lot of virtual memory is being used.

    The answer is yes. In my experience (x86, sorry), you can run linux in
    64mb of memory, but it doesn't necessarily run at it's best. Once you
    pass 128mb, tho, linux is much happier.

    As you suspect, swapping to disk takes time. In this case, top is your
    friend:

    $ top

    top - 10:52:21 up 3 days, 14:38, 4 users, load average: 0.10, 0.26, 0.17

    Swap: 538136k total, 94712k used, 443424k free, 252388k cached
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  5. Re: upping RAM?

    On 3/1/2004 3:54 PM, I R A Darth Aggie said:

    > The answer is yes. In my experience (x86, sorry), you can run linux in
    > 64mb of memory, but it doesn't necessarily run at it's best. Once you
    > pass 128mb, tho, linux is much happier.
    >
    > As you suspect, swapping to disk takes time. In this case, top is your
    > friend:
    >
    > $ top
    >
    > top - 10:52:21 up 3 days, 14:38, 4 users, load average: 0.10, 0.26, 0.17
    >
    > Swap: 538136k total, 94712k used, 443424k free, 252388k cached
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > James

    Thanks, James. I shall invest!

    cheers,

    David

    --

    "When the tough get going, I'll steal their sandwiches."

    If you need to contact me direct, please remove the obvious from the
    reply address

  6. Re: upping RAM?

    David Harrison wrote:

    > I have an old PowerBook G3 (266MHz) PowerBook running YDL3.0. Very, very
    > slowly.
    >
    > Right now it has 96MB RAM. Can I speed things up by adding, say, 256MB
    > to the machine? I gather you can expand these things up to 512Mb total.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > David H

    Hi David -- I'm running YDL 3.0 on a 250MHz PowerBook G3 with 160 MB RAM.
    It's not a speed demon, but really not too bad either. I don't hear too
    much hard drive activity while doing normal stuff (web surfing, newsgroup
    reading, Open Office, etc). I think you will find that the extra RAM will
    boost your system's performance.

    Alan

  7. Re: upping RAM?

    On 3/2/2004 3:22 AM, Alan said:
    > David Harrison wrote:
    >

    >>I have an old PowerBook G3 (266MHz) PowerBook running YDL3.0. Very, very
    >>slowly.
    >>
    >>Right now it has 96MB RAM. Can I speed things up by adding, say, 256MB
    >>to the machine? I gather you can expand these things up to 512Mb total.
    >>
    >>cheers,
    >>
    >>David H
    >>

    > Hi David -- I'm running YDL 3.0 on a 250MHz PowerBook G3 with 160 MB RAM.
    > It's not a speed demon, but really not too bad either. I don't hear too
    > much hard drive activity while doing normal stuff (web surfing, newsgroup
    > reading, Open Office, etc). I think you will find that the extra RAM will
    > boost your system's performance.
    >
    > Alan

    Thanks -- it's always good to hear from someone who's actually done what
    I'm thinking of!

    It sounds worth a try, then. I don't need a monster laptop,
    just just something for OpenOffice (and card games!) down at the library.

    thanks,

    David H

    --

    "When the tough get going, I'll steal their sandwiches."

    If you need to contact me direct, please remove the obvious from the
    reply address

+ Reply to Thread