sound and network config on PPC5500 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on sound and network config on PPC5500 - Powerpc ; Hi, I've got YDL 3.0.1 up and running. My machine is PPC5500/225, 128RAM, USB card installed in PCI slot. When booting into YDL I hear part of the 'intro chimes' but it gets cut off. On first boot I got ...

  1. sound and network config on PPC5500

    Hi,
    I've got YDL 3.0.1 up and running. My machine is PPC5500/225, 128RAM,
    USB card installed in PCI slot.

    When booting into YDL I hear part of the 'intro chimes' but it gets cut
    off. On first boot I got a dialog box that seemed to indicate no sound
    card found. There's definitely a sound card there. It works under MacOS
    9.1 but not YDL. I can't find an online "how to" at the YDL site. Can
    anyone help on this one?

    Second issue is the ethernet card. Apparently it's a DEC (Digital?)
    card. I ran the config as root and activated the configuration. What do
    I have to do to get it to find my DLink router so I can connect to the
    net? The router also has a print server connected to an HP LaserJet 6L.
    Any recommendations on setting the printer up? I've also got an HP AIO
    PSC750C which is usb. I'd like to use that under both Mac and Linux. Has
    anyone had success with the AIO?

    --
    ***Ken Browne clacking the keys in Old Sturbridge Village,Massachusetts***
    remove "REMOVESPAM" to reply

  2. Re: sound and network config on PPC5500

    KBee writes:

    > There's definitely a sound card there. It works under MacOS 9.1 but
    > not YDL. I can't find an online "how to" at the YDL site. Can anyone
    > help on this one?

    Audio hardware of PowerMacintosh 5500/225 works fine with both, OSS
    driver module "dmasound_pmac" (that comes with Linux 2.4) and ALSA
    driver module "snd-powermac" (that is available as external kernel
    module). How to build kernel image package or ALSA kernel module
    package on Yellow Dog Linux distribution is beyond my knowledge.
    Maybe they even have ALSA binaries available for kernel binaries they
    distribute?

    > Second issue is the ethernet card. Apparently it's a DEC (Digital?)
    > card. I ran the config as root and activated the configuration. What
    > do I have to do to get it to find my DLink router so I can connect
    > to the net?

    "DECchip 21041 [Tulip Pass 3]" on CommSlot 2 is tricky NIC for Linux
    driver. Works fine on MacOS on Linux with "tulip" driver it jumps to
    transceiver mode that hardware is not capable of. During even
    slightly intense network activity, it needs reset every
    seconds. My ugly work-around solution to it can be found from
    archives of this newsgroup.

    "3c595 [Vortex]" is what I have on the PCI slot now, it seems to be
    reliable and has not caused problems so far. However, I have not
    succeeded to make it run in full-duplex or 100 megabit mode. Slow but
    it works for now.

    When trying EPIC100 NIC (SMC EtherPower II), driver module gets loaded
    fine, but when trying to "ifconfig", whole system hangs. Ethernet
    over IEEE-1394 also hangs the system after some while of network
    activity on PowerPC, while server Alpha on other end of cable does not
    have such problem.

    --
    "pienena / Paavo "Rainbow Rat" Hartikainen
    minusta / E-mail: pahartik@sci.fi

  3. Re: sound and network config on PPC5500

    Paavo Hartikainen wrote:
    > KBee writes:
    >

    >>There's definitely a sound card there. It works under MacOS 9.1 but
    >>not YDL. I can't find an online "how to" at the YDL site. Can anyone
    >>help on this one?

    > Audio hardware of PowerMacintosh 5500/225 works fine with both, OSS
    > driver module "dmasound_pmac" (that comes with Linux 2.4) and ALSA
    > driver module "snd-powermac" (that is available as external kernel
    > module).

    System Settings/Soundcard Detection says there's no sound card detected.
    How do I tell my system to use the above mentioned modules?

+ Reply to Thread