Dual boot Oldworld PPC w/ separate drives? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Dual boot Oldworld PPC w/ separate drives? - Powerpc ; I've got an old 8500 (Oldworld, no OpenFirmware) that I'd like to try Gentoo on, and I wanted to put it on a second drive that I have in that machine. All the "How To's" I've seen all talk about ...

  1. Dual boot Oldworld PPC w/ separate drives?

    I've got an old 8500 (Oldworld, no OpenFirmware) that I'd like to try
    Gentoo on, and I wanted to put it on a second drive that I have in
    that machine. All the "How To's" I've seen all talk about
    partitioning a single drive. The questions I've got (so far) are:

    Do I still need BootX or can I boot from the 2nd disk?

    Will 2GB be enough if I want to do a compile from a Stage 1 image?

    How long would you expect a full compile to take?

    If I install the system from a Stage 3 install, can I let it
    re-compile and replace everything in the background?

    --
    A: No. See: Help, I'm
    being held

  2. Re: Dual boot Oldworld PPC w/ separate drives?

    You're pretty much describing my configuration*, except that I have an
    oldworld G3 running Gentoo from a second drive.

    Keep it to Usenet please wrote:

    > Do I still need BootX or can I boot from the 2nd disk?

    Yes, you do need BootX. Oldworld machines have to boot Mac OS before
    BootX can switch to booting Linux, no matter which drive that
    resides on. There's no way around that.

    > Will 2GB be enough if I want to do a compile from a Stage 1 image?

    Absolutely, but you should expect to run into problems for some of the
    biggies later on. I'd personally mount additional workspace on a remote
    machine via NFS as soon as possible.

    > How long would you expect a full compile to take?

    My G3/266/96 MB took only three days for the base install, yours will
    need a little longer, I suppose.

    > If I install the system from a Stage 3 install, can I let it
    > re-compile and replace everything in the background?

    But of course.

    Ulrich Plate

    * http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=18774

  3. Re: Dual boot Oldworld PPC w/ separate drives?

    In article ,
    Ulrich Plate wrote:

    > > How long would you expect a full compile to take?

    > My G3/266/96 MB took only three days for the base install, yours will
    > need a little longer, I suppose.

    My 8500 has a 132 MHz. 603, so I'm fearing I'll be looking at 6 days.

    > > If I install the system from a Stage 3 install, can I let it
    > > re-compile and replace everything in the background?

    > But of course.

    Can you stop/restart the build and will it pick-up from where it left
    off? I'm worried that I'll need my machine for something that I have
    to do in OS 9 before the build will be done.

    --
    A: No. See: Help, I'm
    being held
    in a .sig
    Q: Should I include quotations after my reply? factory!

  4. Re: Dual boot Oldworld PPC w/ separate drives?

    Ulrich Plate wrote:

    > You're pretty much describing my configuration*, except that I have an
    > oldworld G3 running Gentoo from a second drive.
    >
    > Keep it to Usenet please wrote:
    >
    > > Do I still need BootX or can I boot from the 2nd disk?

    > Yes, you do need BootX. Oldworld machines have to boot Mac OS before
    > BootX can switch to booting Linux, no matter which drive that
    > resides on. There's no way around that.

    You can, but you probably shouldn't, use Quik. I used Quik.

    --
    Andrew J. Brehm
    Fan of Woody Allen

  5. Re: Dual boot Oldworld PPC w/ separate drives?

    Keep it to Usenet please wrote:

    > My 8500 has a 132 MHz. 603, so I'm fearing I'll be looking at 6 days.

    No way. I'd say you'll end up bootstrapping for at least 8 to 10 days on
    that thing, depending on how much memory you've got. Do yourself a favour
    and go for a stage3.

    > Can you stop/restart the build and will it pick-up from where it left
    > off? I'm worried that I'll need my machine for something that I have to
    > do in OS 9 before the build will be done.

    You can suspend compilations and have them continue afterwards, but
    not if you exit the shell in between (or reboot), in which cases the
    last compilation it was working on when you interrupted it will have to
    restart. If you want to work in OS 9 in between, I strongly suggest you
    run both operating systems in virtual machines at the same time. You'll
    have to install Mac-on-Linux and boot into Mac OS from there (full screen
    mode available), and your Linux processes will happily continue to crunch
    away while you're doing business in the other OS. Switching back and forth
    between Mac OS and Linux/X and back is done with a simple function key
    combination.

    Ulrich Plate

  6. Re: Dual boot Oldworld PPC w/ separate drives?

    In article ,
    Ulrich Plate wrote:

    > Keep it to Usenet please wrote:
    >
    > > My 8500 has a 132 MHz. 603, so I'm fearing I'll be looking at 6 days.

    > No way. I'd say you'll end up bootstrapping for at least 8 to 10 days on
    > that thing, depending on how much memory you've got. Do yourself a favour
    > and go for a stage3.

    Thanks. Looks like I'll have to wait a bit before I kick things off.
    Have you done much with MOL? Have you run into any troubles yet?

    --
    A: No. See: Help, I'm
    being held
    in a .sig
    Q: Should I include quotations after my reply? factory!

  7. Re: Dual boot Oldworld PPC w/ separate drives?

    Keep it to Usenet please wrote:

    > Have you done much with MOL? Have you run into any troubles yet?

    MOL is the next best thing to sliced bread. On second thought, I could do
    without sliced bread... In a nutshell, you'll probably love it. Make
    sure you check with Samuel Rydh's mailing list* before you do anything
    stupid.

    Ulrich Plate

    * http://lists.maconlinux.org/mailman/...fo/mol-general

+ Reply to Thread